DIY Page 12

Quote: DaButt @ 8th March 2015, 6:31 PM GMT

I really hope the 'pliny' in the top timeline there is a Lee & Herring reference ...

Quote: billwill @ 9th March 2015, 12:44 PM GMT

I think such equipment here is bought by micro-breweries that are licenced to sell their products. Usually through a nearby pub.

I've seen a lot of people on UK homebrew websites that are doing the same thing. The quest to make good beer is universal.

Quote: GallonOfAlan @ 9th March 2015, 1:51 PM GMT

I really hope the 'pliny' in the top timeline there is a Lee & Herring reference ...

Sorry, but it's a clone of this legendary beer, using a recipe provided by the brewery itself.

http://russianriverbrewing.com/brews/pliny-the-elder/

40 years ago when I bought this house, I fitted one whole wall in my bedroom with sliding doors to form a fitted wardrobe. The floor guide rail was nailed down into the concrete floor through the carpet with those really hard steel masonery nails.

Yesterday came the time to get those rails up (undamaged) to prepare for fitting a wooden floor (posh ennit? ). But the nails were stubborn.

In the end I had to GRIND the heads off with a powered diamond saw.

Wheeeee there were sparks everywhere.

So before I started I had a large bottle of water handy and a fire extinguisher, just in case.

Happy to report, I did not burn my house down. :)

Another wooden floor Bill - did Bob Mortimer's plea not touch you?

I wooden know, who is he & what did he say?

:O Don't know who Bob Mortimer is? Oh.........

When he was on the Let's Play Darts for Comic Relief he came on as the Carpet Man trying to discourage people from laying wooden or laminate floors - very funny.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/lets_play_darts_comic_relief/special/contestants/

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st March 2015, 10:54 AM GMT

:O Don't know who Bob Mortimer is? Oh.........

When he was on the Let's Play Darts for Comic Relief he came on as the Carpet Man trying to discourage people from laying wooden or laminate floors - very funny.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/lets_play_darts_comic_relief/special/contestants/

Well if he plays darts he wood wooden he? Carpets don't show holes from the darts that dropped out of the board.

Whistling nnocently Rolling eyes Cool

Opinions / advice welcome please!

My 8 year old Bush TV seems to have 'gone'. For a few days it would only come on after repeatedly switching it on and off a few times. The little blue light is on as if there is power but it won't come on at all.
Get a new one? I rang a repair service but they quoted £65 to come and 'have a look'....

First off I am genuinely surprised you have a Bush TV that has lasted that long - it is one of those once famous names that was bought up by a cheap company and not the quality they once were.

Secondly, I presume you are not using a remote control? Because the power light maybe "on" on the TV set but if the batteries in the remote are flat then of course it would not activate the set.

8 years is a good life for any home entertainment equipment these days - cut your losses and buy a new one with a decent name - Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, Samsung, LG................AVOID "own label" brands such as Matsui (Dixons/Currys)

Thanks Herc, good advice. I've got a new Samsung, all up and running now. Happy bunny as I can now watch Inside No. 9 tonight!

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 28th April 2015, 7:06 PM BST

Opinions / advice welcome please!

My 8 year old Bush seems to have 'gone'. For a few days it would only come on after repeatedly twitching it a few times. Th I rang a repair service but they quoted £65 to come and 'have a look'....

Good lord I don't think that's what anyone meant by DIY!

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 29th April 2015, 9:35 PM BST

Thanks Herc, good advice. I've got a new Samsung, all up and running now. Happy bunny as I can now watch Inside No. 9 tonight!

You're welcome.
:D

Quote: sootyj @ 29th April 2015, 9:48 PM BST

Dirty Boy!

Quote: sootyj @ 29th April 2015, 9:48 PM BST

:D

If I have a modern fuse box with circuit breakers, do I still need a plug-in circuit breaker for safety when using an electrical power tool?

Quote: Nogget @ 28th May 2015, 12:40 PM BST

If I have a modern fuse box with circuit breakers, do I still need a plug-in circuit breaker for safety when using an electrical power tool?

Not if it has a built in RCB or RCD, which it probably has if it is the latest fuse box, otherwise yes, you should still used a plug-in one as they work quicker to break the circuit than standard circuit breakers.