Newsjack - Series 10 Page 10

Just sent off my 2 sketches - one in Arts & Entertainment and one in Uplifting News Stories.

Now pulling my hair out over the one liners - I've got loads for one category but none for the other 2.

Were we supposed to mark what category our sketches were for?

I couldn't see that in the instructions, and there's nowhere to put it in the header - but I indicated which ones they were for in the text of my email to NJ.

Oh, good idea. I'll try and remember that for next time. Thanks Bonzo.

Sent my sketches, and also got nothing back. Asked on twitter,and the auto-responder is broken apparently so panic not.

(On the plus side we all have a get out of 'it probably didn't arrive' for unsuccessful submissions this week...)

I did feel this week was the hardest first episode for years. The combinations of mysterious new format changes and rather un-inspiring events left me really stuck for most of saturday.

Sent two sketches.
A bit rushed and average but I'm hoping they work some magic on them.
The categories are tricky. One of mine could fit into Politics or World News. I imagine they'll decide what goes where when they read them.

Mike.

I sent in my two sketches earlier but I think I will take a look at the front pages of tomorrows newspapers before submitting my one-liners.

Sent in my sketches: one sports story, one does not fit into any of the categories really but hopefully not all the sketches have to fit into these categories.

Quote: mikemcc @ 3rd March 2014, 11:19 AM GMT

The categories are tricky. One of mine could fit into Politics or World News. I imagine they'll decide what goes where when they read them.

I'm guessing that since they seem to have a hard limit of 1-3 sketches per section, the Front Page and World News might be used to shuffle stories about.

i.e. most front page stories (that NJ would touch re taste) will also be politics/sports/arts etc. And if the politics/sport/art is in another country, it could possibly be news from elsewhere.

So if they get 5 sketches they really really like in one section, they may still get all in if a couple are big enough or foreign enough...

No auto-reply is just cruel. Sometimes that was the only contact I had with the production team from one week to the next.

I've gone for a Ukraine sketch and a Sports sketch because I like mine to be up against as many other sketches as possible. (Although weirdly most of you lot haven't written a sports sketch - what's up with you people?).

I think you might be right JD (or is Dave okay? or Judgement?) we could see a lot of shuffling esp as Front Page News this week is World News (Ukraine) or Entertainment (Oscars). Although Ian I think it might be a brave move to send in a sketch that doesn't fit ANY of the categories! Actually how is that even possible?

Holding back the one-liners for now but not sure if they need to be more topical this series!

Quote: StephenM @ 3rd March 2014, 12:19 PM GMT

I've gone for a Ukraine sketch and a Sports sketch because I like mine to be up against as many other sketches as possible. (Although weirdly most of you lot haven't written a sports sketch - what's up with you people?).

I found it odd that several forumites seemed to be struggling with Sport for TSWYW. Maybe we're an atypical group.

I'm sure that plenty of writers from elsewhere will have sport amply covered.

I went for sci/tech and arts (Oscar related), as I'm guessing politics and sport will get saturated.

I think you might be right JD (or is Dave okay? or Judgement?)

Any :)
Though the only person in RL who calls me 'Judgement' is an American comedian friend.

Although Ian I think it might be a brave move to send in a sketch that doesn't fit ANY of the categories! Actually how is that even possible?

A minor story about local parking? Or is that politics?

I honestly can't see how line-numbering will help them at all. Even the best sketches still have rewrites which will affect the line numbering. I can only see it making more work, if I'm honest.

Dan

I submitted two sketches today, and thanks to using a mac I spent over an hour of precious time this morning fiddling with the rtf template in textedit before realising I could open it in MS Word! FFS

Anyway, with the one liners are they supposed to be as short as they are in the examples?

This is probably a silly question, but are you supposed to include underscores in file names?

The reason I ask, is because the sketch template is called 'full_name_title_of_sketch.rtf'.

Now, does that mean you should name a file like this - 'John_Doe_UKIP_Sketch.rtf'?

Or does the old method still apply - 'John Doe - UKIP Sketch.rtf'?

I'm really struggling with these new one liners.

It just seems really hard to come up with something original when the basis on news events has been lessened. Especially with these TV/Radio Listings gags, I can see a lot of the same old jokes/puns being sent in, deliberate or not.