Bluestone 42 - Series 1 Page 5

Quote: Aaron @ March 10 2013, 11:20 AM GMT

I think there's a Holocaust-denying flat-Earther amongst us...

If you're referring to me, stumpy, Churchill's plans for the 'real dad's army' was for them to be terrorists - using all sorts of dirty tactics. Perhaps you don't know your own history?

Soldiers are hired thugs - the word derives from soudeur, a 13th century French word that signified that the person was not a conscript. Similar to mercenary. Perhaps you don't know your own language's history?

I find the sight of making comedy from the reality of these hired thugs being involved in what any good lawyer could argue as being an illegal war to be foul and sickening.

The British army is made up of hired thugs. This is a fact. They choose the job, and they are paid to provide, at the very least, the threat of violence for the state (and not the people) Hired thugs are not funny, they are disgusting. As for your sneer about "holocaust denying" - how did you get to that moronic conclusion? Without German hired thugs WW2 could never have happened. Or do you only object to them being called hired thugs when they're 'on your side'?

by the way, off duty British soldiers have murdered more British people than all terrorism combined. That's funny eh? Let's make a sitcom about that!

Go on...

Quote: faceless @ March 11 2013, 6:15 PM GMT

If you're referring to me, stumpy, Churchill's plans for the 'real dad's army' was for them to be terrorists - using all sorts of dirty tactics. Perhaps you don't know your own history?

Soldiers are hired thugs - the word derives from soudeur, a 13th century French word that signified that the person was not a conscript. Similar to mercenary. Perhaps you don't know your own language's history?

I find the sight of making comedy from the reality of these hired thugs being involved in what any good lawyer could argue as being an illegal war to be foul and sickening.

The British army is made up of hired thugs. This is a fact. They choose the job, and they are paid to provide, at the very least, the threat of violence for the state (and not the people) Hired thugs are not funny, they are disgusting. As for your sneer about "holocaust denying" - how did you get to that moronic conclusion? Without German hired thugs WW2 could never have happened. Or do you only object to them being called hired thugs when they're 'on your side'?

by the way, off duty British soldiers have murdered more British people than all terrorism combined. That's funny eh? Let's make a sitcom about that!

Did a bad soldier make you do a bad thing?

Quote: Sinon @ March 11 2013, 6:26 PM GMT

:D

Quote: faceless @ March 11 2013, 6:15 PM GMT

I miss Renegade Carpark :(

Quote: Jamey @ March 11 2013, 8:38 PM GMT

I miss Renegade Carpark :(

Laughing out loud faceless would have lost all of his/her hair during the argument with RC.

*Comes into thread thinking it's a discussion about blue stone 42 Quickly turns around and exits.*

I don't care about the setting, it just comes across as pedestrian at best and a bit panto at worst. In episode 1, that 'So you'll shag him?' quick fire exchange between the girl soldier and hot lady padre wasn't done at all well, and it was at that point I realised it was never going to be a great show. Characters not interesting enough, dialogue a bit flat and perfromances - to my mind anyway - slightly off kilter.

Maybe it's one of those shows in which an ensemble cast would eventually start to fire together better over time, but I'm just being nice in saying that.

The first episode of the BBC-produced series Bluestone 42 attracted 798,600. This isn't much better than the viewing figures for Heading Out with 683,000 for the second episode.

Quote: Nigel Ball @ March 12 2013, 12:29 PM GMT

The first episode of the BBC-produced series Bluestone 42 attracted 798,600. This isn't much better than the viewing figures for Heading Out with 683,000 for the second episode.

It's a contemporary high for BBC Three.

On a sort of related note, did anyone watch the documentary on Channel 5 last night, "Bomb Patrol", following an American anti-IED unit?

In the first episode they blew up a robot (!) and nearly drove a truck off of a bridge, plenty of unintentional comedy, was all a bit "Keystone Kops".

They are not wrong about The Thin Red Line.

No, dullsville.

Didn't Bruce Willis get his bum blown off in that?

Quote: Sinon @ March 11 2013, 6:26 PM GMT

I see what you mean - they are twice as likely to commit sexual violence as humans are - but no, I'm against them because they're hired thugs who are employed by "civilised country" to kill or disable foreigners for a wage-packet while being treated as valid or even heroic by the idiotic masses.