Bluestone 42 - Series 1 Page 3

I don't recall anyone making a fuss about 'Allo 'Allo! being in bad taste because of WW2, Aaron; not in the way that detracts from our lot who were in it. After Monty Python, Milligan, Dad's Army and other comedies on WW2 I think we were fine with making fun of the war, infact we loved it too much was the claim. As what I do recall is rumbliings about AA being possibly unPC to the French and Germans and comments like 'Isn't it time to stop rubbing poor Jerry's face in our victory and stop digging up this thing they want to forget?' A totally different nature of minor fuss to ones talked about here.

I'll comment on B42 later when I get a chance to read the blurbs, not familiar with it yet, but Nigel made good points that others seem to brush over on auto pilot as is often done. It may well be fine to show it, depending what the humour is, but I don't agree with absolutely everything being fair game for comedy because of free speech and democracy etc. People who automatically use that aurgument would have to concede through sheer literal logic that it's fine to make a comedy of their own children being run over, if it happened! There are some limits and boundaries, or we're just not civilised.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ February 22 2013, 10:26 AM GMT

MASH, although ostensibly about the Korean War was clearly made in response to America's involvement in Vietnam and started airing before the US pulled out. It went on to be one of the most successful comedy programmes of all time.

Yes but there was a massively strong protest movement against that war which ultimately eneded it, making MASH a cool, liberal show to air at the time, being that MASH was 'anti war' in tone. Different to seemingly making it because it's current and TV has worn out all other sits for comedy. Accusations of 'crass' may ensue again. It might be fine dunno, haven't seen it yet.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ March 5 2013, 11:07 AM GMT

Yes but there was a massively strong protest movement against that war which ultimately eneded it, making MASH a cool, liberal show to air at the time, being that MASH was 'anti war' in tone.

Are you saying you want a pro-war show?

Ha, no not that either, I'm anti war generally, certainly on the last two. Having said that, a show that pays some respect to the troops' efforts out there might not be a bad idea but I can't see how a sitcom, certainly if it was a full out Simon Pegg film style comic mugging, could do that. I very much doubt that's what we'll get here tho so I'm fairly open minded about it, with some reservations.

5 mins was enough for me... did I miss anything?

Quote: random @ March 5 2013, 10:10 PM GMT

5 mins was enough for me... did I miss anything?

Spolier: Mike McShane being shot in the head.

Good stuff. Very pleasing first episode. For a non audience comedy, it had a lot of laughs.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud
This is the new "MASH" outstanding bit of comedy and drama finely put together, well written, really well researched and a super blend of black humour.
Congratulations all round and I think the birth of a new television catchphrase.

"Off you f**k"

Michael

Quote: Nil Putters @ March 5 2013, 10:38 PM GMT

Spolier: Mike McShane being shot in the head.

:D

I preferred Gary: Tank Commander, but it was ok.

Much better than I anticipated, with the exception of the usual "over the top American in a Brit show" caricature. At least (spoiler alert) he didn't stay long. Of course, I found HBO's "Generation Kill" to be a sitcom of sorts - and all the more enjoyable for it.

Oh, by the way, definitely a sitcom....

I didn't rate it. I thought it was a glib bog-standard sitcom by numbers. No depth to the characters, no killer lines and distressingly Sun-reader friendly. Oddly tame as well.

Oh, and gutless. I wonder if they'll have a British character shot and killed during the run?

I enjoyed it, thought it was funny in places, well acted and set up the series nicely.

Also, not that I'm a military expert, but the banter and the dark humour definitely rang true from my experiences of gigging for the armed forces.

The Bob Hope of BCG. :D

Quote: Nil Putters @ March 6 2013, 1:35 PM GMT

The Bob Hope of BCG. :D

More like No Hope.

:D