Quote: Pingl @ November 5 2012, 10:59 PM GMT

Make it stop!

Won't someone think of the children

Quote: Charlie Boy @ November 6 2012, 10:57 AM GMT

Won't someone think of the children

Oh the humanity!!!!

Quote: zooo @ November 5 2012, 10:38 PM GMT

Ha. Have you watched them all?

He exists to hate comedy. That is his function. He does it bloody well.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 6 2012, 1:31 PM GMT

He exists to hate comedy. That is his function. He does it bloody well.

If that's directed at me, that's unfair. There hasn't been a funny sitcom in years. I still find Fawlty Towers, Rising Damp, Steptoe & son, Porridge and Dad's Army funnier than today's comedies.

Ahh, I hear you scream, "comedy has changed"! Wrong!!! The people commissioning comedy haven't got a clue what comedy is!

Me And Mrs Jones is drivel!

Quote: Charlie Boy @ November 6 2012, 7:37 PM GMT

If that's directed at me, that's unfair. There hasn't been a funny sitcom in years. I still find Fawlty Towers, Rising Damp, Steptoe & son, Porridge and Dads Army funnier than today's comedies.

Ahh, I hear you scream, "comedy has changed"! Wrong!!! The people commissioning comedy haven't got a clue what comedy is!

Wot he said.

If that's directed at me, that's unfair.

It seems fair.

Quote: Pingl @ November 6 2012, 7:43 PM GMT

Wot he said.

Mental.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 6 2012, 8:08 PM GMT

It seems fair.

Mental.

BAAAAAAH!

If that's directed at me, that's unfair. There hasn't been a funny sitcom in years. I still find Fawlty Towers, Rising Damp, Steptoe & son, Porridge and Dad's Army funnier than today's comedies.

If you're going to cherry-pick the crap ones yea. It would be easy to name some terrible ones from back in the decades too.

Don't 'The Thick of It', 'Peep Show', 'The Office' count as good?

Using 'Me and Mrs Jones' as the modern era's representative against the old-time classics you listed is being rather unfair on the modern era frankly.

It's just as disingenuous as claiming that one's own opinion is definitive in such an intensely subjective genre...

I think his point was that none of the modern sitcoms will have the same classic status with a few honourable exceptions, but of course he can speak for himself.

The irony is that 'Me and Mrs Jones' is a traditional sitcom of the sort we might have had 40 years ago.

Quote: Nogget @ November 7 2012, 10:22 AM GMT

The irony is that 'Me and Mrs Jones' is a traditional sitcom of the sort we might have had 40 years ago.

I can't argue with that, but it's been done and done better, that's the problem

Quote: Pingl @ November 7 2012, 9:20 AM GMT

I think his point was that none of the modern sitcoms will have the same classic status with a few honourable exceptions, but of course he can speak for himself.

Unless Charlie has a time machine, I imagine that's a guess based on a personel dislike for almost all modern comedy.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 7 2012, 10:47 AM GMT

Unless Charlie has a time machine, I imagine that's a guess based on a personel dislike for almost all modern comedy.

I don't dislike all modern comedy, I love Henning Wehn and Andrew Lawrence, Mitchell and Webb are brilliant on a good day. But sitcom is a much harder art, and I must admit apart from The Thick Of It and a few others, on the whole the world of sitcom is dull and predictable. There is no use doing the same stuff that was done in the past and better. It must be relevant and above all funny, most modern British sitcoms don't make me laugh, a lot of American ones do.

Quote: Pingl @ November 7 2012, 10:58 AM GMT

I don't dislike all modern comedy,

I meant Charlie, who certainly seems to.