Me And Mrs Jones Page 3

Did they forget to ask your express approval again? Those selfish idiots.

Quote: zooo @ October 19 2012, 10:14 PM BST

I really enjoy it, can't see why it's disappointing so many people! (Please, I'm asking you to explain why to me in great detail.)

OK zooo, if you insist.

I didn't actually hate the show, it had some good points, like it pootled along quite happily with some OK sequences, and had particularly good performances from Sarah Alexander and Morrissey.

But for me, the brilliance of this starry cast highlighted the dimness of the script, where humour was sought from pretty juvenile situations, like when the boys were fighting in the school. I would compare it to children's TV, but a lot of CBBC is more sophisticated that this. Also, the 'set pieces' of the kind with which we're all familiar, like the collection of cakes and the kiddies' stage show, weren't properly mined for any comedy gold. The cakes in particular surprised me. I wondered what might eventually happen to them, and half expected the writers to at least go down the familiar route of them being sat on or dropped or something, but in the end, nothing happened; the only joke was that she couldn't make a very nice cake.

Maybe that's the problem. Maybe you're analysing while watching (like writers can tend to do). Seeing the cakes for example, and trying to work out what they're going to use them for, etc.

I just watch it as a viewer. I never really guess what's going to happen, then maybe I'm not disappointed when it doesn't!

I was only expecting jokes to laugh at, but couldn't hear any!

The promising first episode must have been beginners luck.

Apart from Neil Morrisey, none of the characters seem to make much sense as believable people.

Quote: zooo @ October 20 2012, 6:09 PM BST

Maybe that's the problem. Maybe you're analysing while watching (like writers can tend to do). Seeing the cakes for example, and trying to work out what they're going to use them for, etc.

I just watch it as a viewer. I never really guess what's going to happen, then maybe I'm not disappointed when it doesn't!

Fair enough, although if they spend a lot of time carefully placing a banana skin on the floor, and no-one slips over on it, wouldn't you ask what the point was?

When that happens, yes I will.

(I put a banana skin down once, and my mum actually slipped on it. Proudest moment of my life.)

I'm surprised bananas are still sold, considering they represent such a well-proven health and safety hazard.

Can anyone help me out with locations for this series? Specifically, the "cake competition" school in episode 2? I went to a school in Erith for one year when I was 5 (I'm now 40!). I haven't been back since then, but I'd swear the school hall in episode 2 is my old school!

I'm sure they all look pretty similar, but it would be interesting to find out where it was shot.

I believe it was all filmed around Teddington. Not impossible that they ventured further afield, but there won't be acres of architectural variation in school buildings of that age.

Quote: Nogget @ October 20 2012, 5:47 PM BST

OK zooo, if you insist.

I didn't actually hate the show, it had some good points, like it pootled along quite happily with some OK sequences, and had particularly good performances from Sarah Alexander and Morrissey.

But for me, the brilliance of this starry cast highlighted the dimness of the script, where humour was sought from pretty juvenile situations, like when the boys were fighting in the school. I would compare it to children's TV, but a lot of CBBC is more sophisticated that this. Also, the 'set pieces' of the kind with which we're all familiar, like the collection of cakes and the kiddies' stage show, weren't properly mined for any comedy gold. The cakes in particular surprised me. I wondered what might eventually happen to them, and half expected the writers to at least go down the familiar route of them being sat on or dropped or something, but in the end, nothing happened; the only joke was that she couldn't make a very nice cake.

It may have been funnier if the Sarah Alexander character was a brilliant cook, with a sick sense of humour ie. the cake was intentionally made to look like roadkill, but customers were put off it because of what it looked like.

Quote: zooo @ October 20 2012, 6:09 PM BST

You're probably right about analyzing while watching. But, in my defence, I only analyze something that doesn't work. I never analyzed Fawlty Towers, The Good Life or Blackadder, I was too busy laughing!

Thoroughly charming third episode, good laugh count and really tangible romantic tension between Gemma and Billy. Good stuff.

Have the writers been watching Miranda, cause Sarah Alexander's character is the same, clumsy type. The "humour" is obvious, predictable and forced!

And very amusing. :)

Thoroughly enjoying this series. As are most people, judging by our visitor stats and database crashes whenever it's on.

Quote: Aaron @ November 3 2012, 12:27 PM GMT

And very amusing. :)

Thoroughly enjoying this series. As are most people, judging by our visitor stats and database crashes whenever it's on.

"visitor stats and database crashes whenever it's on" - Not even three pages of comments since the series started! You need to change your server if it crashes after TWO comments from last night's episode!

The series spend too long on each scene. It's boring, and never funny!