Not Going Out - Series 6 Page 18

Another really poor episode of NGO. I am glad to see the back of this series, to be honest and I really am dreading the 2013 Christmas Special and Series 7. Why was there no special ending?

Couple of funny moments

But dreadful on the whole

Frustrating to see still no more progression on the Lee/Lucy front. I appreciate it's a big step, but even if you can continue coming up with storylines, it really tests the audience's patience to keep stringing along the "will-they-won't-they" thing year on year.

The series remains very funny IMO though.

Mack has spoken about there being an ending in which Lee and Lucy 'get together' and that it was actually filmed for tonight's episode. I had a feeling it wouldn't be shown, however. I think if it was, it should be at the end of an episode in which Lee actually does something nice for Lucy, maybe a two-hander episode; otherwise, it could feel just tacked-on.

I did find it a bit annoying when one of them didn't just swim after the dinghy.

Quote: Dave @ May 31 2013, 10:23 PM BST

maybe a two-hander episode; otherwise, it could feel just tacked-on.

:)

Obviously a lot viewed on screen.

It really is just lots of gags on a different theme strung together into a story each week.

That's not to say it's still very funny. I think the the format can't sustain it much longer.

Quote: zooo @ May 31 2013, 10:28 PM BST

I did find it a bit annoying when one of them didn't just swim after the dinghy.

Yep!

The air-pump gag was...well...

Quote: lofthouse @ May 31 2013, 10:22 PM BST

Couple of funny moments

But dreadful on the whole

I agree, lofthouse. The only decent episode of this series was the first episode about the rabbit but this series has been that bad. It is making me wonder whether I shall be tuning into the Christmas Special or Series 7.

I agree

The rabbit one was a great start to the series

Just gone down hill since

I didn't even watch last weeks ep!

Quote: lofthouse @ June 1 2013, 1:54 PM BST

I agree

The rabbit one was a great start to the series

Just gone down hill since

I didn't even watch last weeks ep!

Yes I feel exactly the same. Last week's ep was bad so you didn't miss much!

Hey guys,

This is my first comment on here. I am a big fan of comedy and Lee Mack and Evans lol

I have enjoyed every series of NGO till the new series without Tim Vine. I was very disappointed as I watch all the previous series over and over again on Dave or online. I personally thought all they had to do was ride a couple of episodes without Tim and then introduce a step brother/cousin of Lee. It would have been ideal as Lee's dad was also on the scene. The character could have come as a love triangle and rival to Lee with hilarious consequences and maybe moving in with Daisy for a while.

I hope they have something up their sleeves for a new series. If not, better off cancelling. Some of the episodes/situations weren't so bad in the new series although without Tim or a new character it was all over the place.

I do watch a lot of comedy from old to new, English, Indian or American and rank NGO in my top 5 but it seems likes it's on its way out.

Hi Everyone,
Wow, there are a lot fans of this show! So glad, I thought I was the only one as none of my friends watch it!

I've watched this show since day one, and have loved every episode of every series and could not believe the BBC were stupid enough to axe it a few years ago. Thankfully someone had the good sense to recommission it. I have really enjoyed the latest series and although Tim Vine was missed, and the show clearly suffered because he was gone. I think I understand the logic of not bringing in a new person to replace him right away, you see the problem we have is there are only 6-8 episodes per year, so building in new characters can be tricky. The comparison of the new guy to Tim Vine would be a conflict from the off and as Tim's character was so liked and so well played, it is unlikely the new guy is going to get much praise. Far better to let Tim go for one series, let us all get used to him not being around, show us the show can stand on its own feet without the comic genius that is Tim Vine, and then BAM! hit us with a new character that will knock our socks off!

By putting a whole series between Tim and the new character most of us will be comparing how much better Series 7 is to Series 6 with the addition of the new character, not comparing the new guy to Tim Vine, a war he is very unlikely to win. So well done to Lee Mack for handling this so well. If Series 7 doesn't get made then this would be a disappointing season to end the legacy of NGO on, but as it is extremely likely Series 7 and many more will return I strongly believe we will all be praising the next series and stating how great the new character is!

And that's the thing about a comic genius like Lee Mack, it's not just their writing that's good, their timing is impeccable!

Tickets for the Christmas special read through (1st Nov) and studio recording (Teddington, 28th Nov) are available from the TVRecordings website.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 20th April 2013, 12:48 PM BST

Yup, but Seinfeld has great actors (Jason Alexander) and comedians (Michael Richards) as well in it....which I'm afraid NGO is lacking a bit*.
For me NGO has no real character in it. Just a bunch of people telling (good) jokes.

EDIT: * I really like Lee Mack for example in Would I Lie To You?. He's full of life in that show. But he seems to lose nearly all of his charisma if he has to play to a script.

I absolutely agree with your summary.