Hooligan's Island Page 4

Quote: David Bussell @ October 16 2012, 9:58 AM BST

Immaturity from the team that bought us Bottom?!

Bussel:1 Bennett:0 :$ :D

Saw this coming a mile off. That's why I didn't get excited. I can forgive Edmonson for not wanting to do the same old stuff anymore - but I can't forgive him (the man who used to burst through walls, smash bottles over his head and take the piss out of comedians-turned-establishment darlings) for doing Ade in Britain, and That's Britain!

I don't want to see Vyvyan making an Eccles Cake. It breaks my heart.

Anyway - back to Bottom - to be honest I hate the way that these days the mere suggestion that a show is being written becomes major news. Countless shows get written and never made, the chances of this actually getting made - with a weak premise, one star who has had a breakdown, another star who now wears a flat cap and cycles through the lake district for a living, and the fact that he has already been quoted as saying he can no longer work with his co-atar - were always going to be slim.

I'd like to see Mayall doing something though. I'd LOVE to see a serialised version of George McDonald Fraser's Flashman books starring The Rik Mayall. Bang on!

Quote: joebloggs69 @ October 16 2012, 11:21 AM BST

Anyway - back to Bottom - to be honest I hate the way that these days the mere suggestion that a show is being written becomes major news. Countless shows get written and never made, the chances of this actually getting made - with a weak premise, one star who has had a breakdown, another star who now wears a flat cap and cycles through the lake district for a living, and the fact that he has already been quoted as saying he can no longer work with his co-atar - were always going to be slim.

The original article from the BBC said that it had been commissioned though.

Quote: Nick @ October 17 2012, 4:20 PM BST

The original article from the BBC said that it had been commissioned though.

Fair point. Even so, sadly I'm not surprised, but in some way relieved that at least they didn't have a chance to ruin it.

My God, sometimes I'm so cynical I don't give it credence.

Utter, utter, utter bastards!!!

Well not really but it is disappointing, even though I couldn't really see how Hooligan's Island would work as a sitcom. Much preferred the idea of them as crazy old men, living in a retirement home.

And I wonder if maybe they're just growing apart? Certainly I've seen interviews over the last few years where Rik appears keener than Ade to work together. In one interview Rik said Ade was his very best friend in the entire world. Ade just said he was a git or something. Matey ribbing I know, but it does make you wonder.

Ade said Ben Elton was his very best friend in the whole world at the recording of the pilot of Teenage Kicks a few years back.

I agree about the 'how could it work?'. I have no idea. I wanted to see them try though, cos Bottom is ace. Retirement home though -- no thanks, cos Guest House Paradiso is not ace. Not even nearly.

In fact, it's shite.

Dan

quote from the RT article: Ade: "We started working on something and we realised why we stopped working together. It wasn't working."

I don't understand why they went public with the news of making a new show in the first place. They could have kept quiet, trying out if it works...and abandon it quietly if it doesn't. But like two stupid teenagers they shouted it out without checking out if it works. I can't believe they're that stupid. Maybe it was a PR gag to keep Mayall in the public eye and signalling his availableness for acting jobs.

Quote: swerytd @ October 19 2012, 11:58 AM BST

no thanks, cos Guest House Paradiso is not ace. Not even nearly.

In fact, it's shite.

Agree.

I think it was announced by the BBC when it got commissioned, much the same as other stuff is announced. It would have been slightly higher profile if anything because 'it's another Bottom!', especially given the new vogue in remakes (Red Dwarf, Yes, Prime Minister).

Dan

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 19 2012, 12:01 PM BST

I don't understand why they went public with the news of making a new show in the first place. They could have kept quiet, trying out if it works...and abandon it quietly if it doesn't. But like two stupid teenagers they shouted it out without checking out if it works. I can't believe they're that stupid.

Stupid seems a bit harsh; they were only trying to write a TV show, and then decided not to.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 19 2012, 1:15 PM BST

Stupid seems a bit harsh; they were only trying to write a TV show, and then decided not to.

Replace "stupid" with "hasty" or "rhapsodic"... before I announce to break the world record in high jumping I check if I'm able to walk...let alone jump.

Reading between the lines Ade Edmondson was not enjoying the experience and prefers doing travel shows to comedy. Can't say I blame him really

Quote: Pingl @ October 19 2012, 1:39 PM BST

prefers doing travel shows to comedy.

Are they watchable?

Quote: Pingl @ October 19 2012, 1:39 PM BST

Can't say I blame him really

Why not?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 19 2012, 1:43 PM BST

Are they watchable?

Why not?

No not really, pretty standard stuff.

Well as he says comedy is hard work, especially the kind of physical comedy they do

Quote: swerytd @ October 19 2012, 11:58 AM BST

Retirement home though -- no thanks, cos Guest House Paradiso is not ace. Not even nearly.

In fact, it's shite.

Dan

Indeed. Teenage Kicks was just as bad after that and I think maybe it's a good decision from Edmondson to focus on his music and other TV work.

It wasn't 'just as bad'. It was pretty weak, granted (though the radio version was quite good), but Guest House Paradiso is very, very bad.

I mean, it's no Hulk, but it's right down there.

Dan