Hooligan's Island

Just confirmed this morning that Rik and Ade are coming back as their Bottom characters in a new sitcom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/hooligans-island.html

Excellent - it's been too long. Let's hope it finds enough success to last a few seasons. Maybe we can eventually get to the retirement home comedy. For now - this is amazing news! :D

I'm not so sure if I'm totally happy with this island setting. Why not return to their Hammersmith environment for another series. I'm also curious if it'll be still "believable" when Ade and Rik kick the sh** out of each other now they're in their fifties.
All in all, not the worst news. But I'm wondering why the BBC would commission a new series after they turned down a possible Series 4 many years ago. Maybe the new scripts are family compatible now. That wouldn't be the same...I don't wanna see and hear the two of them making family friendly jokes. Let's pray for the best.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 23 2012, 7:39 PM BST

All in all, not the worst news. But I'm wondering why the BBC would commission a new series after they turned down a possible Series 4 many years ago. Maybe the new scripts are family compatible now. That wouldn't be the same...I don't wanna see and hear the two of them making family friendly jokes.

The scripts are only just being written at the moment (see our news report from Sunday), but I'm pretty sure from the details confirmed yesterday that the Beeb are expecting very much the same old Bottom humour as ever.

I'd also point out that the BBC is not a single, sentient entity. The people who are in charge now are not the same people who were in charge in the mid 1990s. Today's bosses were probably the teens and twentysomethings who were at the core of Bottom's original audience.

Might be good. I agree I think it would be better if it was still in the flat but it hopefully will be as good as Bottom.

Quote: Aaron @ August 24 2012, 1:47 AM BST

I'd also point out that the BBC is not a single, sentient entity. The people who are in charge now are not the same people who were in charge in the mid 1990s. Today's bosses were probably the teens and twentysomethings who were at the core of Bottom's original audience.

You're right about that. But is it maybe also easier at the moment to get projects such as this commissioned? I mean, there has been a remake of "Reginald Perrin" a few years ago..."Yes Minister" will be re-visited in the near future. "Red Dwarf" is resurrected, if not at the BBC, but nonetheless back on the screen.
There seems to be a tendency to resurrect old ideas these days. So when when you got an "on your bike" as a reply for such a project years ago maybe it's the right time to try again. Maybe the new executives are not necessarily Bottom fans but would also commission a new series of "The New Statesman" or a remake of "One Foot In The Grave" with David Haig as Victor Meldrew.

Well both Yes, Prime Minister and Red Dwarf are for another broadcaster (albeit a broadcaster owned by the BBC); Reggie Perrin's an interesting one, but it was more revisiting the source material upon which the original series was based than a revival of the series itself.

But yes I see what you're getting at, and you're right. Budgets are tight, risks are high. It's easier to rely on proven stars, writers and concepts in tough times than to take a chance on new ones.

Crikey O' Blimey this is excellent news! I saw Hooligan's Island live and had a headache from laughing. They were no spring chickens even then but my God they didn't hold back on the physical stuff.

Here's hoping they take the knob gags and ultra-violence even further. In terms of belly-laughs Bottom is my favourite sitcom ever. Rik and Ade are heroes to me Lovey

If the show show is that good as I want it to be then it is advisable to carry a pair of spare pants with you in case you experience a "trouser-accident" from laughing. But honestly I'm a bit worried because of the new premise. Where are the birds to fight over? where comes the alcohol from to keep Eddie in his equlibrium? Where are the normal people who have the misfortune to encounter these two loonies? and: Being on this island Richie & Eddie are not on the bottom of society anymore...they just..well...are.
But maybe I have to try to be more openminded (and patient, for god's sake). I definitely won't miss Spudgun and Dave Hedgehog. But the conflicts between Dick Head and our two heroes will be missed by me all the more.

A character that could be revisited is Mr. Rottweiler; he could be their neighbour again, maybe on the other side of the island.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 24 2012, 1:24 PM BST

If the show show is that good as I want it to be then it is advisable to carry a pair of spare pants with you in case you experience a "trouser-accident" from laughing. But honestly I'm a bit worried because of the new premise. Where are the birds to fight over? where comes the alcohol from to keep Eddie in his equlibrium? Where are the normal people who have the misfortune to encounter these two loonies? and: Being on this island Richie & Eddie are not on the bottom of society anymore...they just..well...are.
But maybe I have to try to be more openminded (and patient, for god's sake). I definitely won't miss Spudgun and Dave Hedgehog. But the conflicts between Dick Head and our two heroes will be missed by me all the more.

A character that could be revisited is Mr. Rottweiler; he could be their neighbour again, maybe on the other side of the island.

I think in the stage show Eddie had a huge stash of rum or something that'd been washed up. Or was it homemade? Can't remember. But yeah, I see what you mean in terms of bringing other characters in. Maybe they do, is the premise that they live on a deserted island or is it inhabited?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 23 2012, 7:39 PM BST

I'm not so sure if I'm totally happy with this island setting. Why not return to their Hammersmith environment for another series. I'm also curious if it'll be still "believable" when Ade and Rik kick the sh** out of each other now they're in their fifties.
All in all, not the worst news. But I'm wondering why the BBC would commission a new series after they turned down a possible Series 4 many years ago. Maybe the new scripts are family compatible now. That wouldn't be the same...I don't wanna see and hear the two of them making family friendly jokes. Let's pray for the best.

I don't see why they would only be recommissioned if they toned the show down.

This is post-watershed BBC Two, not pre-watershed BBC One. I don't see the BBC trying to make the Thick Of It more family friendly and that's a BBC Two show. Also, you've got Mrs. Brown's Boys on the more family friendly BBC One and that show gets away with very rude lanaguage and assualting a pensioner!

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 24 2012, 1:46 PM BST

I think in the stage show Eddie had a huge stash of rum or something that'd been washed up. Or was it homemade? Can't remember. But yeah, I see what you mean in terms of bringing other characters in. Maybe they do, is the premise that they live on a deserted island or is it inhabited?

I think it's deserted. I reckon they'll have a few other characters crash-land or get washed up there at some point. On the face of it though it does look like it'll be more limited.

Quote: dennispennis123 @ August 24 2012, 6:12 PM BST

I don't see why they would only be recommissioned if they toned the show down.

This is post-watershed BBC Two, not pre-watershed BBC One. I don't see the BBC trying to make the Thick Of It more family friendly and that's a BBC Two show. Also, you've got Mrs. Brown's Boys on the more family friendly BBC One and that show gets away with very rude lanaguage and assualting a pensioner!

That's true...still, my hands will tremble just before episode one has started. ;)
My fear comes from the fact (at least Mayall told us so) that the already written scripts for a Bottom Series 4 were turned down by the BBC for being too rude. But that was many years ago...so let's keep fingers crossed

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ August 24 2012, 6:57 PM BST

I think it's deserted. I reckon they'll have a few other characters crash-land or get washed up there at some point. On the face of it though it does look like it'll be more limited.

Some of the best episodes/scenes were the ones with only the two of them. But those were the exception. Normally they interacted with other characters and changed locations. A whole series with nothing but the two bicker with each other or talking crap could be too tiring.

Hope Dave Hedgehog and Spudgun are back in this. They were great.

Quote: Benedict @ August 24 2012, 7:18 PM BST

Hope Dave Hedgehog and Spudgun are back in this. They were great.

I'm not their biggest fan. Although I liked the fact that they always seemed to be afraid of Richie and referred to him as "Eddie's wife".