Grandma's House - Series 2 Page 5

Re: iPlayer downloads. BBC do a 'performance pack' with stats incorporating downloads via Virgin Media an on-line. They blog about it in the BBC internet blog. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2011/08/july_2011_bbc_iplayer_performa.html

Here's an example from July 2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2011/08/18/BBC_iPlayer_performance_monthly_1107_FINAL.pdf

Dan

Clive's freakout at the stripper made me laugh so hard that I started coughing and my mother had to ask if I had a cold.

Been really enjoying this series; great writing and performances.

Loved the way he took a lemon at the end. So many great lines this episode. And we didn't have to see any of Simon's old grey holey pants. Bonus.

This show is getting better and better by the week.

Brilliant episode last night; it's up there with the very best recent British sitcoms.

In business terms, this kind of thing is seen as a good product without a real use. A mistake to make, because however great you make it, you just can't sell it. There really is little point in making a show so few people want to watch, even less point in trying so hard to make it brilliant. The vast majority of people obviously don't care for the subject, 'star', or style, or all three.

And I wonder if it really is as good as some are saying. Just glancing at the taglines for episodes makes me wince - 'Simon sends up his lack of acting ability in storyline about starring in a play.' How opportunistic and self indulgent is that? And it doesn't ring true, who would want to cast him as a lead character in a play, knowing he can't act?

When the fame hungry Amstell first formulated this bad idea of a sitcom about himself, he forgot to do simple research on whether people really wanted to see such a thing. He needs to get away from himself and his mirror.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 4 2012, 10:55 AM BST

And I wonder if it really is as good as some are saying.

Yes. Maybe we're all lying when we say we are enjoying it. We're probably just saying we like it to piss you off...

It doesn't annoy me, it worries me slightly that's all, that otherwise sane and knowledgeable indivividuals could enjoy such self indulgent pish. Eh? Look of incomprehension and slight worry.

No, your enjoyment of it's fine, it's some people's insistance that others are missing out on a great sitcom that annoys me. No great sitcom has got such measley viewing figures before, therefore it cannot be great. To have good lines here and there or even great scripts does not make a great sitcom, what makes a sitcom great is great characters in a great situation that viewers love.

GH is minor in every way.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 4 2012, 10:55 AM BST

In business terms, this kind of thing is seen as a good product without a real use. A mistake to make, because however great you make it, you just can't sell it. There really is little point in making a show so few people want to watch, even less point in trying so hard to make it brilliant. The vast majority of people obviously don't care for the subject, 'star', or style, or all three.

And I wonder if it really is as good as some are saying.
When the fame hungry Amstell first formulated this bad idea of a sitcom about himself, he forgot to do simple research on whether people really wanted to see such a thing. He needs to get away from himself and his mirror.

If you don't like the show, that's fine, but the above is post is very silly.

:)

I do wonder if you're joking sometimes, Alred. You act as if any writer or performer has say over the commissioning of a series. It isn't Amstell's job to know what people want to watch, or to do any research: that's what the commissioner and channel bosses are there for.

But there is no way any commissioner would sign up such a sitcom from an unkown via Writers Room. SA's image rights or TV brand or call it what you will, has landed him this mild rehash of US jewcoms, in a market that barely exists in Britain, hence why so few people are choosing to watch it. In commercial terms it's not a great idea.

Jewcoms?

What the f**k is that?

I think your prejudice is leaking out Kipper old bean.

Shame as it may prevent you enjoying some good comedy.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 4 2012, 11:59 AM BST

But there is no way any commissioner would sign up such a sitcom from an unkown via Writers Room.

We have no idea if this is true or not. The show is well written with clear characters, this would probably interest someone somwhere. Yes, having someone with at least a small name involved can help, as with anything.