Grandma's House - Series 2 Page 8

Quote: bushbaby @ May 4 2012, 11:15 PM BST

and it truly bugs me that, yes, I can sure write far better stuff but don't get anywhere with it. Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

Your parents probably said the same thing about Elvis.

Two things really made me laugh this week. 1. The shitting blood/bricks and my fav was Simon saying to his nephew "I am too busy to be a paedophile today". Loved those. Totally loved them. :)

I hate this sitcom with avengeance. I have never seen such rubbish/dribble in all my 71 years and it truly bugs me that, yes, I can sure write far better stuff but don't get anywhere with it. Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

Bush sweetie you couldn't write the dialogue for a silent movie.

Nb Grandma's House is about the sharpest written sitcom at the moment.

I hate this sitcom with avengeance. I have never seen such rubbish/dribble in all my 71 years and it truly bugs me that, yes, I can sure write far better stuff but don't get anywhere with it. Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

Yes, yes, it's all a big conspiracy.

Another fantastic episode. I love this show.

I know it's just the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" turned into a sitcom, but I'm ok with that.

Quote: Charley @ May 5 2012, 2:15 AM BST

My fav was Simon saying to his nephew "I am too busy to be a paedophile today"

*cough* Cousin

Quote: shaggy292 @ May 7 2012, 1:34 PM BST

*cough* Cousin

Nephew cousin, he was still too busy to be a paedo.

After just dipping in and out of the show and not really giving it a chance, I sat down and watched this week's episode and very good it was too. Loved when the bloke who smelled like piss lost it with the stripper and kicked his CD player across the room going 'f**k off you queer' or words to that effect.

The only thing I found really off putting was Simon Amstell's acting, his performance was so robotic and unemotive, that it makes Commander Data look like Nicholas Cage.

He just seems utterly natural to me. Obviously he is pretty much playing himself, so he should seem natural!
But I never for a second think 'oh that's bad acting', I forget he even is acting.

Ditto. It's a wooden performance, but that's due to the character. Half of this week's episode was about how dreadful, unemotive and cold he seemed - being unable to cry since his parents' divorce, for example.

Whether Amstell the real actor person can do anything other than 'wooden' is another matter, but playing the role in Grandma's House as such entirely matches the character constructed in the writing.

Quote: Aaron @ May 8 2012, 4:46 PM BST

Whether Amstell the real actor person can do anything other than 'wooden' is another matter, but playing the role in Grandma's House as such entirely matches the character constructed in the writing.

The other characters are so over the top and demonstrative, that Amstell sticks out even more - like an android made of ghosts.

Simon's the hub that the rest of the zany world can revolve around... like the straight man in a comedy routine.

Quote: MTpromises @ May 8 2012, 5:13 PM BST

Simon's the hub that the rest of the zany world can revolve around... like the straight man in a comedy routine.

Simon Amstell? Straight? :P

No, I get that, much like Sam Malone in Cheers or Frasier Crane, but they at least seem to be part of the same universe. If someone had told me Grandma's House was about an alien life form trying to be Jewish, then I would have accepted the premise more readily.

Though, the best Jewish alien is still Mork, followed by Spock and then Quark. Wow, there are a lot of Yids In Space.

I think even Simon will say his acting is not that great, but he suits what he is doing. He is like a Ricky G. A one trick pony actor, but you love him all the same.
No different to a singer who sounds the same on every track and on every album. You just accept it and enjoy.

Quote: Charley @ May 8 2012, 8:38 PM BST

You just accept it and enjoy.

Considering I've only really watched one episode, his acting / non-acting hasn't had the chance to charm me yet. I'm sure if I watch more, I will find his portrayal more readily acceptable.

Can't fault the writing or the performances from the other actors though, hope every episode is good as the one I just saw.