Yes, Prime Minister to return Page 2

It's largely a few years before my time, and still wonderfully funny and clever.

The cut we get is miniscule. No more than a few pence if you bought that now.

It's about 14 years before my birth, never mind anything else. I still barely understand Drop The Dead Donkey, I will however look up some clips.

Do you not watch anything made over, say, ten years before your birth? No films or anything?

I probably have, but I tend to enjoy things less the older they are.

Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles come to mind though and I did enjoy Blazing Saddles.

Neither of those titles are particularly funny to me either. Some stuff just doesn't age well if you weren't experiencing it first time around.

This isn't really the thread for this discussion, so I'll just add in closing: I was born in the late 80s and comfortably enjoy programmes from the early 50s, because I was interested to see them, and so take the time to look up the curious little outdated references that I don't understand, when watching. Why not give something like Yes Minister - widely regarded as a wonderful classic sitcom - a go? You'll never know or understand anything if you don't take the time to try it.

Could be awesome with the right cast. Will be tough to better real life cock ups though in a politicial sitcom, a pasty tax and the government causing a fuel crisis are just too good.

Quote: Jamey @ March 29 2012, 8:07 PM BST

I know saying this will make a few of you cringe but I tend to avoid stuff that too far before my time, I simply don't understand it.

You were born in the 1990s weren't you Jamey? The series finished in 1988! How can it be 'too far'? Didn't you watch Ashes to Ashes and Life on Mars for instance?

I absolutely love the original series but I have found it hard to convince other people (my age) of its merits. It's a very different sort of comedy to the kind of thing you see today - it's very wordy and you actually have to pay attention to it, while I think the modern television-viewer has got used to only giving the television half of their attention while they chat or use the internet etc. *feels superior for having a decent attention span ooh is that a butterfly?*

Quote: Harridan @ March 30 2012, 9:15 AM BST

the modern television-viewer has got used to only giving the television half of their attention while they chat or use the internet etc

It's not been commissioned by ITV, so it should be okay...

Dan

Quote: Harridan @ March 30 2012, 9:15 AM BST

I absolutely love the original series but I have found it hard to convince other people (my age) of its merits.

Then they are fools, ma'am, fools!

Quote: swerytd @ March 29 2012, 10:37 AM BST

Yes, Prime Minister is coming back!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4226157/Yes-Prime-Minister-news-Anthony-Jays-Bafta-winning-show-returns-after-24-years-to-Gold.html

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/03/29/15137/hackers_back

Great news :) and good on GOLD.

Dan

I hope it's good, the originals were fantastic.

Quote: Aaron @ March 30 2012, 10:17 AM BST

Then they are fools, ma'am, fools!

Indeed, they are. Yet another reason why I cannot connect with the yoof of today (not that I count as yoof anymore...)

Old enough to doubt Eddington and Hawthorne could be equalled and Fowlds must not be underestimated in its success.

However, moot point really as I don't have access to Gold!
Still, good that Gold are commisioning new progs, all be it this being an old one.

Will wait for the downl erm DVD. Whistling nnocently

Hang on a minute, we're thirty years later: the Prime Minister and civil servants of the time certainly wouldn't still be in those positions so a new PM and underlings are surely necessary with a different dynamic between the characters.

Personally, I don't get this 'don't make any more, you'll spoil it' point-of-view. You can't spoil the good stuff by making more -- that doesn't make any sense. Even if this is shite (which I doubt it will be) the old ones will not be ruined.

Point being (and long-time readers will be aware it's rare that I have one) that if stuff is great, make more! Be it Yes, Prime Minister, Red Dwarf (which is as good, I've seen two of the episodes being recorded) or whatever else!

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ March 30 2012, 3:46 PM BST

Personally, I don't get this 'don't make any more, you'll spoil it' point-of-view. You can't spoil the good stuff by making more -- that doesn't make any sense. Even if this is shite (which I doubt it will be) the old ones will not be ruined.

While in general I agree it most likely won't hurt... I'd point to Rosanne as the classic example of a show where the later series ruined the early stuff.