Seinfeld Page 8

Just watched Series 8, having only watched snatches of other shows from earlier series up til then. Am really getting worried about my taste in comedy.

I love Futurama, Frasier, and the Simpsons, I thought I'd like this. But I didn't laugh out loud once. I liked the characters. Kramer is superb. I liked the idea that each has their own thread and they are interwoven really well and nearly all the threads resolve with comic or emotional payoff but I didn't laugh. I smiled a lot but I found Gerry perhaps too Olympian. I thought every girl they went out with were babes, way beyond their reach.

Saying that, I thought that it was an excellent 'product' because it kept me watching - normally if I'm indifferent to something it won't last more than two shows - but I think I learned a lot of technical points like the management of seperate threads rather getting something lol funny.

I have to admit it worried me because I know this show is HUGE.

Don't worry A, I would never call this the funniest show ever, but I still love it. I love the characters and the writing, it's such a joy to watch, it's like a writers wet dream.

The fact that you didn't laugh is strange? But maybe the fact that you were concisions of this didn't help either?

I haven't seen series 8 yet, I'm only up to 7, but whilst I think the characterization has slipped IMO, I think the laugh rate has risen.

So maybe you should be worried?

:P

Hmm that is slightly strange, I think every true comedy fan should have Seinfeld in their collection and it shows your respect for comedy that even though it didn't make you laugh that much you still see how great the show is.

But yeah, personally I think Seinfeld is one of if not THE funniest sitcom ever created. I'm thinking maybe that it may be wise to start at the beginning, you say you've only seen the odd episode before watching all of Season 8, I think to appreciate some of the "in-gags" and character traits it's probably best to watch previous seasons in full.

Season 1-3 while not the best seasons still have many classic episodes like The Chinese Restuarant, The Limo, The Boyfriend etc. And these seasons help you get to grips with these characters and all their quirky habits. Season 4 is where it goes from being a quality show to a classic show, it really hits it's stride and every episode they churn out is just pure brilliance, character wise, plot wise and funny-wise. From Season 4-7 I think almost every single episode is great bar one or two duff ones. Season 8 is the first season after Larry David left and the quality does drop slightly and it becomes a little wackier, but saying that they are still lots of really funny episodes like The English Patient and The Yada Yada.

I'd suggest buying the early boxsets and working your way through, you can pick them up relatively cheap now online or in shops like Virgin Megastore. This is what I did, I'd seen an episode once before on TV and wrote it off as a "typical laughter track American sitcom" (oh how small-minded I once was). Then a few years later I saw The Boyfriend episode on Paramount and it just blew me away, I watched a few more and realised that this show is a lot more special than I once thought. So gradually I got all the boxsets and it's cemented itself in my mind as one of the greatest sitcoms of all time.

(that post became a lot more long-winded than necessary :))

Quote: Martin Holmes @ September 11, 2007, 8:45 PM

This is what I did, I'd seen an episode once before on TV and wrote it off as a "typical laughter track American sitcom" (oh how small-minded I once was). Then a few years later I saw The Boyfriend episode on Paramount and it just blew me away, I watched a few more and realised that this show is a lot more special than I once thought. So gradually I got all the boxsets and it's cemented itself in my mind as one of the greatest sitcoms of all time.

Things look promising for Gavin & Stacey.

Quote: Leevil @ September 11, 2007, 8:52 PM

Things look promising for Gavin & Stacey.

Maybe I'm being totally dumb, but I'm missing the joke here. :$

Sorry, it was Roman's Empire wasn't it?

:D

:$

I'll try a series 4-7 set next. You're right about 7 seeming whacky, Kramer especially, although I like the guy.

It's weird that I can see the obvious quality.

Quote: Leevil @ September 11, 2007, 8:59 PM

Sorry, it was Roman's Empire wasn't it?

:D

:$

Well I thought both were equally bad. Are you trying to say because I found them shit at first viewing that in a few years time I may decide I like them?

Lol, yes, talk about stretching a joke out, who do you think you are? *insert comedian* By god, that's lazy of me.

Ha, sorry, I'm not with it tonight at all. :)

I watched 'Seven' from Season 7 last night and thought it was excellent. So many good things in it, just little things too, like George eating spaghetti. The whole 'seven' thing was good (I like that name) and Jerry's girlfriend's clothes story was terrific. Jerry's always had a thing for that in his stand-up routine. The bike became a weak spot for me, but I really enjoyed Jerry being bothered by Kramer not paying for the food he eats. From the 'yeah, go ahead' from earlier seasons, it was as though it had finally got to him that he never puts anything towards it.

Yeah 'The Seven' is a brilliant episode. It was even funnier to me because before I saw that episode I'd always through 'Six' would be a good name (but spelt Syxx), so when George liked the name 'Seven' it was great. :-)

Season 9 released on DVD next month!

VIRGIN 1 are showing the pilot tonight!!!!! If you haven't seen this show yet, I demand you all to watch, DEMAND!

9pm.

Quote: Leevil @ October 7, 2007, 2:51 PM

VIRGIN 1 are showing the pilot tonight!!!!! If you haven't seen this show yet, I demand you all to watch, DEMAND!

9pm.

Me too! But if you do and you havent seen Seinfeld before (?!?) then stick with it, as it just gets better and better as the series progress.

Yes, I was going to mention that, lol. But I'm guessing most people on here will stick with it.