Seinfeld Page 4

I grew up watching Seinfeld.

I think that the claim that it's the greatest sitcom of all time is a bit over-the-top. It's more of that it's an American icon as far as sitcoms go. It was a random, off-the-wall idea that had never been tried before. It combined many, many plots all resolving in one at the end. It avoided all the cheesy drama that sitcoms always pulled in at the time. It really was the most original thing ever made when it came out.

However, with new American shows like Arrested Development, 30 Rock, Andy Barker P.I., Scrubs, (would say The Office, but that's yours)...Seinfeld lost a lot of it's originality.

Good show for anyone into writing comedy to watch.

Quote: Luke Messimer @ June 12, 2007, 11:43 PM

Seinfeld lost a lot of it's originality.

Eh? Bit of a contradiction.

I understand what you mean, I'm just being an idiot.

Seinfeld was excellent, and after posting last ngith I went home and watched a few and realise it hasn't aged that badly, perhaps I was in a odd mood, or watched one of the few episodes which didn't - for me at least - work

A lot of it was script but I would say a good forty percent of it was performance as well. All the actors in Seinfeld were committed to the roles, which is another thing which a lot of shows lack.

It's when you get superb material and good performers and the two gel that you get a masterpiece.

The only thing that has aged about the show for me is the popular references and some of the American based ones go over my head.

But their relationships with each other, is still pretty fresh. The idea that they have nothing to do and haven't settled down yet still reflects today.

The popular references maybe because it's close. There are popualr references in everything...the longer you leave it, the less it matters. That's what I find.

Yeah, although I'm sure Jerry and Larry didn't like putting pop-culture references is in as you say because it dates the show. It does have them though, but not as much as other sitcoms.

People lurve it.

I only found out about Seinfeld earlier this year from a friend who lent me a few boxsets and instant classic for me. One of the best US sitcoms in my opinion.

So, quite a few people like this. I might have a look at some of the box-sets. Any particular good season, or do they have to be watched in order?

1 - 3 are 'the show about nothing'. Mostly penned by Larry David and Seinfeld. Wonderfully written.

4 is when the show took off, still about 'nothing' but some great sitcom moments too. Including the 'Jerry and George' pilot story arc.

It gradually got more sitcom-like (from 6 or 7) until the last two series which were pure sitcom. I know the critics weren't keen (it's down to Larry David leaving and having a whole team of new writers) but the jokes-to-minute ration is at it's highest, and funniest. As a mainstream sitcom is outshines Frasier and Friends easily for funny lines/moments in both season 8 and 9.

I think there's three eras of Seinfeld, all masterful.

I'm up to the last couple of episodes of season 4 and whilst it's not the biggest belly laughs, I still watch it in ore from a writers perspective.

Quote: Leevil @ July 10, 2007, 9:28 PM

I'm up to the last couple of episodes of season 4 and whilst it's not the biggest belly laughs, I still watch it in ore from a writers perspective.

I'm about 6 episodes in. People who go on about 'Why do modern comedians have a Larry David fixation' should watch his episodes to see why.

Quote: oddjob @ July 10, 2007, 8:43 PM

So, quite a few people like this. I might have a look at some of the box-sets. Any particular good season, or do they have to be watched in order?

I think it's best to watch from the beginning because then you really get involved in the show and its characters and how they evolve. It doesn't start getting really good until Season 4, but Season 2 and 3 have some of my favourite episodes including The Limo and The Girlfriend. But yeah from Season 4 onwards pretty much every episode is pure brilliance in terms of writing and laughter.

I've been in a right bad mood tonight, just watching back2back Seinfeld, cheered me up no end!! :D

"My name rhymes with a female body part."

Brilliant.

"do you think we'll all still be sucking on mints in the millenium or is this mouth vacuum cleaner thing for real?"