Seinfeld Page 6

Quote: Seefacts @ July 11, 2007, 3:34 PM

Yes, it did.

So, Seinfeld's good . . .

Christ... that's all we need here... another comedy Nazi.

Quote: Darren Goldsmith @ July 11, 2007, 4:02 PM

Christ... that's all we need here... another comedy Nazi.

As opposed to a syntax and grammar Nazi.

It was an ironic awkward moving on from what you said about my post not making sense.

It probably should have said 'So, Seinfeld THEN' but for some reason that's not what I put.

It didn't help that you just put 'meh!' - which is internet speak for 'This will register my disinterest in something, without actually explaining why I don't like it but constitutes a grown up answer none-the-less'.

Quote: Seefacts @ July 11, 2007, 5:02 PM

It was an ironic awkward moving on from what you said about my post not making sense.

It probably should have said 'So, Seinfeld THEN' but for some reason that's not what I put.

It didn't help that you just put 'meh!' - which is internet speak for 'This will register my disinterest in something, without actually explaining why I don't like it but constitutes a grown up answer none-the-less'.

Hah! I should have adorned my comment with smileys. I don't really think you're a comedy Nazi...

I should have been clearer about your sentence not making sense too. What I meant was that there is no such thing as perfect comedy. It's ALL subjective... and remains so even if you, personally, can cite specific incidences of acting/writing brilliance etc.

My 'Meh' registers my opinion on Seinfeld, as called for at the start of the thread... and is as valid as your devotion. It wasn't a comment on your er, comment. It's not internet speak, per se, anyway... merely the text version of the sound (although, admittedly, horribly American!) one can make when shrugging.

I don't know why Seinfeld is not a barrel of laughs for me... it just isn't. I realise I'm in the minority though.

Quote: Seefacts @ July 11, 2007, 5:02 PM

Or even someone just following the site rules. ;)

Anyway. In light of what I've read here today regarding Friends and Seinfeld in particular, I've decided to give them another go.

Quote: Aaron @ July 11, 2007, 9:35 PM

Or even someone just following the site rules. ;)

Which rule did I miss?

I think if you watch the "virgin" (before it imploded on itself into the mass hysteria and hype)episodes of Friends, through fresh eyes, you'll see genuinely good joke rhythms and characters.

Yeah there's whooping and soap opera style cheese-fests, but at heart, it's a good ole enjoyable sitcom.

Jennifer Aniston is actually quite a good comedy actor too. She has good timing.

I agree she seemed so natural and confident, where as Courtney Cox seemed a little forced sometimes.

Ross is my favourite character though :D

Quote: Seefacts @ July 11, 2007, 9:45 PM

Which rule did I miss?

Re "syntax and grammar Nazis":

"Unless said in legitimate context (for example, a programme title), "txt spk" is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN, and will NOT BE TOLERATED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. This is a pet hate of the BSG's editors, and will be heavily enforced. As far as is possible, correct English spelling and grammar should be used. We also request that members refrain from SHOUTING UNNECESSARILY in their posts."

Quote: Aaron @ July 11, 2007, 10:03 PM

Re "syntax and grammar Nazis":

"Unless said in legitimate context (for example, a programme title), "txt spk" is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN, and will NOT BE TOLERATED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. This is a pet hate of the BSG's editors, and will be heavily enforced. As far as is possible, correct English spelling and grammar should be used. We also request that members refrain from SHOUTING UNNECESSARILY in their posts."

Ah, I see. Luckily I didn't break it then.

:)

Quote: Aaron @ July 11, 2007, 10:13 PM

:)

So Seinfeld's good then . . . :)

Now I didn't say that.

Or did I?

Buggered if I can remember. Probably way back on page 1 somewhere.

Ordered season five thinking I had a disc of season four left but oh no, watched it all. AND there's a postal strike. Curses!

I have just purchased the complete dvd season 3 boxset from Age Concern for 4 pounds,I have not seen Seinfeld before so I am quite pleased with myself.