Mrs. Brown's Boys - Series 1 Page 14

Risks don't make me laugh. Funny jokes and funny situations do.
Miranda and Outnumbered have bags of those, Mrs Brown's Boys have zero.
But it takes all sorts!

This is the best sitcom for years.
I'm sick of alternative, so called comedy which I can't find anything at all to laugh at. Nights At The Apollo etc.22 ct crap. MBB is just hilarious IMO

Surely this is the alternative if so called alternative has become mainstream?

;) As I have previously stated how dire this programme is, I will not comment further.
The public get what the public want, they love this.

I saw this for the first time the other night and I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. There were a few silly jokes that weren't that funny and not much happened and not many laughs - just a bid odd really.

Wow! wii-man76, I faintly remember you. How's it going?

Quote: Leevil @ December 28 2011, 8:29 PM GMT

Wow! wii-man76, I faintly remember you. How's it going?

Fine thanks! I've been away for far too long which has messed up my Christmas viewing as after reading some of the current threads I've missed a lot of comedy on TV which if I had been paying attention I would not have missed.

They'll be overly repeated.

:( Unfortunately! Let us all be morons.

Quote: dellas @ December 29 2011, 2:59 AM GMT

:( Unfortunately! Let us all be morons.

It has been shown in Australia, but I don't hear people talking about it a lot and it has not been given a great timeslot. Having a pantomime dame who swears a lot may only be funny for so long. It is basically a traditional sitcom with a few twists (ie: The panto dame, the metafictional awareness). I laughed a bit, but I haven't seen much of it. It's kind of like if a character from Little Britain was given their own whole show - it will take some work to sustain.
Incidentally - could you read my treatment for "Spiralling Out of Control" in Critique and give me some feedback?

:D

I'd be surprised if it doesn't become a smash hit in Australia, from what little I've seen of it. Just their thing, I'd have thought. (Although Todd and Kenneth and others have proved here that there are signs of intellect there).

Am now sampling some shows I avoided watching because I presumed I wouldn't like them, after Him & Her, White Van Man and Fresh Meat all proved me wrong, to a degree. Not MBB though, it confirmed my inkling very much indeed.

A couple of very funny lines can't make up for a basic and crude bad taste fest, for me. Its BBC 1 status is worrying too. Does this tell us that this is the sort of thing they want people to write now? The Beeb are confusing me greatly. They put out an encouraging statement which said they wanted more mainstream type pre watershed sitcoms and then they commission another unorthodox stagey type thing with added crudeness.

And does it mean we're all going to have to test run our own sitcoms in the theatre before the TV bods will take it, now? I've never been more worried about the future of TV sitcoms than now, as the stuff they are putting out is not what I want to be watching or writing. :(

You concern yourself far too much with what they say they want and your own interpretation of what you see on screen, Alfred. Mrs. Brown's Boys is a series of hit stage productions that the BBC chose to turn into a sitcom. Why would that mean you need to trial your own show on stage when one - just one - series, that you don't even like, has come from the theatre? Note also that that commissioning decision was made before the new head of BBC One was appointed, and long before the Delivering Quality First changes and comedy 'wishlist' strategies were announced, so it has no bearing on what else they say they want to commission.

I don't disagree that this is once more a potentially worrying time for sitcom, but let's not get carried away!

Errr Well said Alf.

Aaron, you do have a point.

While this has never been my cup of tea, its existence doesn't offend me the way it offends some people. And the fact that it seems to be reaching a group of people that modern sitcoms do nothing for is surely a good thing.

But I was also thinking of We Are Klang and The Mighty Boosh, which the Beeb took on, from the stage, with their 'new' ways of doing things in TV sitcom. (That breaking the fourth wall crap. I hate it! >_< ) That's three shows, Aaron. Whistling nnocently

I'm maybe getting a bit too involved in my own little sitcommission project, fearing now, this is the only way to get a new sitcom noticed now by the Beeb. That and that slightly worrying Salford sitcom workshop? thing I know far too little about, obviously. These things have made me think this is how they are looking at new sitcoms now, whether there's any truth in it or not.

Very nice to get that statement from the new controller, but another one detailing how they plan to get their wanted sitcoms, together with a much needed endorsement of their own Writers Room (which remains for the most of us I think, a dark room 101 for our scripts) would be much appreciated, if you can tell him this through your usual channels? Ta in advance. :)