Mrs. Brown's Boys - Series 1

I've just seen the preview clip of this and I was most surprised. I found it be rather funny, which is not the normal case with most mainstream TV sitcoms these days.

I've seen some other bits from the show and it looks like it could be very good indeed - but not all that surprising given its gestation period before coming to screen!

One thing I find interesting is that possibly the best mainstream sitcom in the UK could be written by an Irishman. I think it could be argued to be a sign that we are falling behind our foreign rivals.

I'm not clear on what you are referring to, regarding "foreign rivals" ... but in my opinion, anything written in the UK for British TV, is clearly miles ahead of the western world (quality of script and acting ability/conviction) ... so I wouldn't be too concerned on that element of things.

All the best,
Cal :)

Quote: SivoxII @ January 5 2011, 8:27 AM GMT

I'm not clear on what you are referring to, regarding "foreign rivals" ... but in my opinion, anything written in the UK for British TV, is clearly miles ahead of the western world (quality of script and acting ability/conviction) ... so I wouldn't be too concerned on that element of things.

I meant that most of the successful mainstream pre-watershed sitcoms come from abroad. In Britain, most current sitcoms made for pre-watershed audiences fail.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ January 5 2011, 8:02 AM GMT

One thing I find interesting is that possibly the best mainstream sitcom in the UK could be written by an Irishman. I think it could be argued to be a sign that we are falling behind our foreign rivals.

Bit of an over-enthusiastic reaction, and somewhat ignoring the development of this show against every other of late!

Quote: SivoxII @ January 5 2011, 8:27 AM GMT

I'm not clear on what you are referring to, regarding "foreign rivals" ... but in my opinion, anything written in the UK for British TV, is clearly miles ahead of the western world (quality of script and acting ability/conviction) ...

Well, except for American stuff obviously.

Nah, American sitcoms included, obviously.

It seems the show has already attracted some angry comments about the bad language that it uses. Mind you, this is a view from the Express, which is just angry that the BBC has a right to exist and is owned by the man who now runs Channel 5.

Quote: chipolata @ January 5 2011, 9:13 PM GMT

Well, except for American stuff obviously.

If by 'anything' we are including drama, then British TV has also fallen behind the French, the Swedes, the Danes, and for all I know, the Estonians.

The trailers are a bit rubbish.

Quote: chipolata @ February 13 2011, 11:16 AM GMT

The trailers are a bit rubbish.

Wasn't impressed either.
Shan't watch!

I reckon this is going to get a cult following. Lots of people will hate it but will get a certain committed following.

Quote: bob4apples @ February 13 2011, 1:54 PM GMT

You're kidding right? Have you ever seen the Persuasionists, for example?? Or the Deep or Outcasts? Silent Witness?? ITV Drama?? To name but a few. Not much quality of script etc. in them. And why did the Beeb spend loads of money remaking an inferior version of a Swedish Detective drama with Kenneth Brannagh if we're so far ahead of our foreign rivals? Or why Law and Order UK weren't allowed to invent their own storylines??

We do have great actors because a lot of them end up starring in US series (eg. Andrew Lincoln, Hugh Laurie, Mariane Jean-Baptiste, Eamonn Walker) but maybe that's because they make better TV. Think that's an important element to be concerned with.

Where is Aaron and his off-topic post message? :D

If this post remains, your obviously a person who watches a lot of US TV. I watch very little US TV because I like British shows with British actors and culture. You name a few dodgy British shows, Wallender and Silent Witness I think are pretty good with high viewing figures though, to make an overall point. I think the UK produces a lot of good drama and comedy on relatively low budgets. In the US a new or comedy will have tens of millions spent on it. There's plenty of good British stuff, to name some comedies to keep it vaguely on topic; Outnumbered, Miranda, Peep Show etc.

If US and other foreign dramas/comedies/any TV were that great then those shows would be on 9pm on BBC One AND ITV1 every night - but they aren't for a reason.