Mrs. Brown's Boys - Series 1 Page 13

So...

The BBC axes Shooting Stars and Sorry, I've Got No Head (which, although I wouldn't watch, is clearly regarded as one of the best comedy shows suitable for young children) but then recommissions this outdated piece of crap for a further two series?

I've also heard on the grapevine that the BBC were offered more Partridge by Baby Cow (broadcast of the first Mid Morning Matters and also the second, after Fosters were finished with it) but were largely uninterested (because it doesn't fit within their new vision for comedy), so they went to Sky instead.

The BBC need to wake up and get their heads out of the f**king clouds, otherwise people will be switching off in their droves and dare I say, looking to the digital channels (Sky Atlantic and Dave) for their comedy.

To me, it seems like the BBC are finally giving into the pressure from the likes of The Daily Mail, whose viewers want less Frankie Boyle and more My Family. In short, they won't rest until the BBC is matching the kind of output that ITV currently have.

From what I understand, there are a lot of conflicting pressures at the moment that are putting the BBC in particular in a difficult position regarding comedy, and as such the situation we now see with the various commissionings and cancellations isn't quite as simple as you paint.

However, there should be little doubt that the BBC could - and perhaps should - ask itself some big questions, and that they have given themselves over so fully to the media rather than maturity in the past decade.

There's a lot of upheaval at the moment and I certainly agree that, to the public, comedy at the corporation looks somewhat weak and directionless; but equally I would not argue that resting on the laurels of past successes and returning to Alan Partridge is necessarily what the public service broadcaster should be doing. No doubt there would be just as many complaints that they weren't giving new talent a chance.

And John Cleese talks a lot of sense: https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000685/john_cleese_comedy_in_unhealthy_place/

When the BBC airs a new sitcom, tuckedaway after the news on a weeknight and it starts with a decent figure of around 2.5m and it grows its audience every week and finishes at over 4m, then I would say its a worthy recommission.

Quote: Joey Moose @ November 23 2011, 2:54 PM GMT

To me, it seems like the BBC are finally giving into the pressure from the likes of The Daily Mail, whose viewers want less Frankie Boyle and more My Family. In short, they won't rest until the BBC is matching the kind of output that ITV currently have.

MBB is one of the most risque, non-PC sitcoms BBC One has shown in years, with a feck in nearly every scene. This is exactly the sort of show the Daily Mail criticise the BBC for and sort of totally goes against the argument you're making.

Does it make any sense to commission shows two series in advance anyway? The second series could turn out to be even worse...

The third series won't have been commissioned blind. Cohen will almost certainly have seen early edits of the second series, heard feedback from people who were in the audience, and perhaps even attended one himself (yeah, outside chance, that one). He may have even seen preliminary scripts for Series 3, depending on how O'Carroll's development process works. (Given that it's largely all pre-existing as live stage productions.)

Anyone got the DVD? Someone mentioned a cut on YouTube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QarofaycN3c ), they implied the song part on the Mormon scene is cut? Unless they got the old boxset by mistake?

Quote: dennispennis123 @ November 23 2011, 4:16 PM GMT

When the BBC airs a new sitcom, tuckedaway after the news on a weeknight and it starts with a decent figure of around 2.5m and it grows its audience every week and finishes at over 4m, then I would say its a worthy recommission.

MBB is one of the most risque, non-PC sitcoms BBC One has shown in years, with a feck in nearly every scene. This is exactly the sort of show the Daily Mail criticise the BBC for and sort of totally goes against the argument you're making.

Sorry, perhaps I should have been a bit clearer. The BBC have spoken recently about wanting more 'family-friendly' sitcoms, they cited the likes of Miranda and MBB as the kind of comedy shows that they want to focus on. Given the amount of criticism and negativity that MBB has generated, both in the press and on internet forums alike, I can't foresee that the majority of people will be particularly happy about it being recommissioned, especially at the expense of shows like Shooting Stars.

MBB isn't the worst comedy show I've ever seen, but the format just seems ridiculously outdated and the humour is very reliant on 'crude' jokes.

Quote: Joey Moose @ November 24 2011, 12:33 AM GMT

Sorry, perhaps I should have been a bit clearer. The BBC have spoken recently about wanting more 'family-friendly' sitcoms, they cited the likes of Miranda and MBB as the kind of comedy shows that they want to focus on. Given the amount of criticism and negativity that MBB has generated, both in the press and on internet forums alike, I can't foresee that the majority of people will be particularly happy about it being recommissioned, especially at the expense of shows like Shooting Stars.

Depends on where you look and who you talk to. Media obsessive types who tend to frequent and post on such forums, neither tend to be in the target audience, nor in the actual appreciative audience. The fact remains that it grew (unlike every other remotely 'recent' sitcom I can recall) its audience over its run, was very popular with the public at large despite the critical press reaction, and as you'll have seen if you read our news article, received an unprecedented number of requests for Series 2 tickets. Not to mention this year's stage production touring across the whole of the UK rather than just the north for the first time on the back of the show's success, including sell-out dates at the Hammersmith Apollo.

I wasn't crazy about the series either, but the commentators and detractors are a vocal minority; it more than meets the remit for recommissioning.

MBB isn't the worst comedy show I've ever seen, but the format just seems ridiculously outdated and the humour is very reliant on 'crude' jokes.

In a world of Peep Shows and Royle Familys, the broad crudity of Mrs. Brown's Boys appears to be about as capable as most channels are of producing anything remotely 'family friendly'.

I'm not sure who you mean by "the majority of people will be particularly happy about it being recommissioned". Who makes up the majority exactly? The simple facts are that the vast majority of those who watched the show enjoyed it, so much so that they told friends and family and helped grow the audience by over 1m during the series. The press and internet forum types are a tiny proportion of the total viewing audience. A review in a paper or a site like this is just one person's opinion. Ratings are what counts and on that score, MBB did brilliantly.

It doesn't matter if the format resembles a 1970s sitcom and is miles away from the trendy Office/Peep Show style of sitcom. All that matters is that it makes you laugh, if you didn't find it funny or found it too crude then that's a shame but no comedy has ever been universally liked.

Quote: Aaron @ November 23 2011, 3:15 PM GMT

I would not argue that resting on the laurels of past successes and returning to Alan Partridge is necessarily what the public service broadcaster should be doing. No doubt there would be just as many complaints that they weren't giving new talent a chance.

Any comedy department who is offered anything to do with Partridge should say yes without thinking. It's a no-brainer.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 24 2011, 9:19 AM GMT

Any comedy department who is offered anything to do with Partridge should say yes without thinking. It's a no-brainer.

I absolutely agree.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 24 2011, 9:19 AM GMT

You would think that, but with chartered public service bodies such as the BBC, it's entirely possible that they are restricted in how much non-original programming they are allowed to purchase. Let's not over-simplify any channel's commissioning requirements or obligations.

Quote: Aaron @ November 24 2011, 6:23 PM GMT

You would think that, but with chartered public service bodies such as the BBC, it's entirely possible that they are restricted in how much non-original programming they are allowed to purchase. Let's not over-simplify any channel's commissioning requirements or obligations.

No, let's....

The Beeb should always be looking to produce and broadcast the best available television and radio of all genres. That, pretty much, is its remit, its raision d'etre. If that has changed, then I'd like my licence fee back please, because that's why we fund the organisation.

Yours sincerely,

Disgusting of Tunbridge Wells.

Should, I agree!

I enjoy this show, it makes a change from the usual shite that comes out of the bbc, Life of riley, miranda, outnumbered, safe family sitcoms set in a detached house in london, none risky crap. Whoever the heads of comedy are must have little sense of humour or be to spineless to put anything exciting on, the bbc is a shell of the genius it once was. TAKE SOME RISKS FOR GOODNESS SAKE.