Count Arthur Strong Page 4

I have listened to 12 episodes. Though other episodes were slightly better, I have rarely been as irritated by any comedy. Started to dread having to listen to it and one of the few comedies that can turn my mood from good to bad. Normally it's the other way around.

I really like it when somebody gets something confused in a script; it's usually one of the high points when it happens. But to do it again and again and again and again line after line after line started to f**k me right off, especially when he tries to correct himself and just keeps getting it wrong in a different way. The episodes where there was less reliance on this and a bit more of a plot were the better ones.

The fact that so many of the audience laughed long and hard *every* *single* *time* he did it perplexed me more than anything though.

Dan

I don't usually like this sort of thing, but.. Strong is really funny. I think maybe it that his character is at odds with the world, but to him at least its the world that wrong and he acts as if it is all through. However isn't he ... just .. Harry Worth?...or a modern Stanley Unwin?....

Its interesting when a comedian gets so known for one character, they either run with it and maybe its a living for life Stanley Unwin,Frankie Howard, That bloke who did the "not working" mike gag every time, Freddie "parrot faced" Davis...or they get rather ground down by it and constantly try to escape, Al Murry, Rob Newman(ish?),Billy Connolly,Tony Hancock .....

Quote: Griff @ December 15 2010, 6:38 PM GMT

It's not really about the malapropisms although they are very funny. It's also his completely selfish and arrogant attitude to everyone around him, and his general delusions of grandad. And it does get funnier the more you listen (it did for me, anyway).

It was like that with me. Never keen to start with, but it's gradually wormed its way into my affections over the years.

When are we going to see something of the pilot he filmed months ago?

It was so brilliant, I need to see it on TV.

Quote: Griff @ December 15 2010, 6:38 PM GMT

I <3 Stanley Unwin.

He was indeed very funny, but he did really do one thing...for his whole career.

Quote: sidecar jon @ December 15 2010, 7:06 PM GMT

He was indeed very funny, but he did really do one thing...for his whole career.

Yes he did.

And the number of times I have said 'Right! This time I'm going to follow every word and find out what he does say and understand it . . . and for the first 20 seconds I'm there . . and then . . '

Sheer genius.

On the whole, Count Arthur is not for me, but I could understand the appeal of the radio show. I fear that it's not the type of character which will translate well to TV. Hope to be proved wrong, of course.

Depends entirely on how it's edited, but the TV pilot I watched filmed had some brilliant stuff in it.

Did it follow the same format/set-up as the radio show?

No. It was a mixture of all sorts of stuff. Basically a fake gameshow, with the odd bit of singing and dancing!

Must sound rubbish. But I promise it wasn't. :)

Yeah, I don't think it will work as a TV show at all.

Ignore him, he knows nothing about comedy TV.
;)

He's quite good in sketch form on the TV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QednDY9B36E

Quote: Mark @ December 16 2010, 9:35 PM GMT

He's quite good in sketch form on the TV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QednDY9B36E

Wonderful !

:D

Does anyone know if there are going to be any more radio shows?

Been a while since the last one now...