Count Arthur Strong Page 6

Quote: dellas @ April 23 2011, 5:03 AM BST

:) I like it, but cannot be bothered to understand his speech these days.

Probably Turkish.

'Tour Guide' from series 6 is a classic !

Quote: lofthouse @ April 22 2011, 10:49 PM BST

I'll knock yer block off!

Mind your head . . . on that light fitting . .

Just thought I'd post this up incase anyone missed it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011tsc5

mind your head on that light fitting...

Series seven starts tomorrow!

Woot woot!

(Hope it's better than the last one... :( )

I was rather sad to see that Linehan and Delaney intend to make Count Arthur into TV. It has been tried before and it didn't work and I can't see it working now.

I have great admiration for Linehan and Delaney, and when the Count first arrived it was extremely funny although it has slowly become less so. But that's standard for most comedy creations.

It's a cliche to say that the Count works best on radio of course, but it doesn't make it any less true. Having seen the Count live a few times I find it impossible to get over the discrepancy between what I am seeing and what I am hearing. This is not because I have a mind's eye view of what the Count 'should' look like, it's just that Delaney doesn't inhabit the count visually at all well and in fact he actually damages the comedy.

Linehan should put his talent into something new, whatever he writes for the Count it's unlikely Delaney will be able to carry it off on TV, excellent character voice actor that he is, the Count only has a face for radio

Conversely, I've seen him performing the character live and loved it!
I'm very intrigued to see this series.

I'm a huge fan and I've seen him live.

Like with many other programmes, I prefer radio. Sometimes I'd rather paint my own pictures than have everything laid out in front of me. (Not too sure about Arkwright's till on radio though!).

Still I will watch and hope I can enjoy it as much as I do the radio shows.

The last show I saw the Count at, Guildford, was a messy rehash of past scripts and was played like a sitcom. Somehow the jokes fell flat.

It's an old argument isn't it, I'm from the generation that as children listened to the Navy Lark and Steptoe after Sunday lunch and imagined everything. Today I write radio ads. I love the fact that you can do anything on radio, the listener's mind will supply the sight of, say, 40 000 elephants falling off a cliff. You can't film that and if you try it looks crap.

In a kind of similar way, Dad's Army became weak whenever the action moved into the 'real' world - the village high street etc. It worked best in a closed environment where the outside world was only alluded to.

The Count should stay in his own world but if he does insist on crossing the divide Delaney is going to need better makeup and to get his trousers sorted out.

He does seem a more deluded version of Harry Worth.

Never really listened to this apart from the odd 5 minutes. Caught it tonight whilst driving and I have to say that I didn't laugh once. It was just not funny.

I love this show, although I must say the last series wasn't quite up to par. But the character is an old fashioned concept and that's its charm. It's a gentle spoof, the scripts sometimes don't live up to the promise of the character, but when on form it's very good. The episode with Barry Cryer and Arthur doing an after dinner talk is great. You have to listen to a few of these to tune into it, we simply don't hear this kind of sitcom anymore. How the transfer to TV will go is another matter....

Quote: Will Cam @ October 24 2012, 8:06 PM BST

Never really listened to this apart from the odd 5 minutes. Caught it tonight whilst driving and I have to say that I didn't laugh once. It was just not funny.

:O

Quote: Will Cam @ October 24 2012, 8:06 PM BST

Come ere and say that

Knock yer block off

Quote: lofthouse @ October 25 2012, 6:39 PM BST

Come ere and say that

Knock yer block off

Laughing out loud

Can it actually be true??

Count Arthurs sitcom starts next month?

Is this for definite?

Freakin awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7noIAz1G5c