Sherlock Page 69

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 21 2012, 10:27 PM GMT

It means he's in charge of the costume department.

Can't fault the costumes! :D

I think they used the same roof for the finale of Spooks. Cheap shot if you ask me!

I don't remember the roof in spooks having a wall around the edges.

(It might not be a wall, if am referring to the thing Shelock stood on before he jumped)

This is my fav show of the moment, just sublime in every way, they could make upto 50 episoded based on the stories. The acting is outstanding.

:D Just remembered that last night while I was falling asleep, my brain said 'Sherlock was backwards, you idiot'. Bit worried that my subconscious is still thinking about this as I was rather hoping it was writing my sitcom ep for me.

So CBS in America are trying to get their own modern day Sherlock series off the ground, and have cast Jonny Lee Miller as Holmes:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s129/sherlock/news/a365791/elementary-jonny-lee-miller-to-play-sherlock-holmes-in-cbs-pilot.html

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 14 2012, 8:39 PM GMT

So CBS in America are trying to get their own modern day Sherlock series off the ground, and have cast Jonny Lee Miller as Holmes:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s129/sherlock/news/a365791/elementary-jonny-lee-miller-to-play-sherlock-holmes-in-cbs-pilot.html

American TV tends to be superior to ours in terms of nuts and bolts storytelling so it could well surpass ours.

It was unclear if they are doing a US version of the UK series or if its going to be its own thing.

Either way I see this as a very bad idea indeed. I will laugh my arse off if its set in America....

Quote: Bob Hicks @ February 14 2012, 8:48 PM GMT

It was unclear if they are doing a US version of the UK series or if its going to be its own thing.

Either way I see this as a very bad idea indeed. I will laugh my arse off if its set in America....

It's just their own, not a remake of ours.

Although in a way they've already done it with House, Monk etc.

Quote: chipolata @ February 14 2012, 8:48 PM GMT

American TV tends to be superior to ours in terms of nuts and bolts storytelling so it could well surpass ours.

I do not agree with this. When they get it right they get it really right but most of it is bad in my opinion. I.E. The ratio of good to bad is not great.

Remember the US version of Cracker? Sick

When British TV is on form its truly hard to beat. The output is lower so British TV has hits less often (or so it would appear).

Quote: Bob Hicks @ February 14 2012, 8:53 PM GMT

I do not agree with this. When they get it right they get it really right but most of it is bad in my opinion. I.E. The ratio of good to bad is not great.

Remember the US version of Cracker? Sick

When British TV is on form its truly hard to beat. The output is lower so British TV has hits less often (or so it would appear).

Name a Brit TV drama in the last few years that has come close to Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones etc etc. It's not so much less often as not at all recently.

The Accused, The StrEet, Dr Who (not the last series)

Torchwood Children of Earth, Spooks is way superior to its nearest rival the ridiculous 24

Quote: sootyj @ February 14 2012, 9:06 PM GMT

The Accused, The StrEet, Dr Who (not the last series)

Torchwood Children of Earth, Spooks is way superior to its nearest rival the ridiculous 24

Meh. They're all right but they don't grab you by the throat and shake you. And 24, even at the end, was way more fun than Spooks.

Quote: chipolata @ February 14 2012, 8:58 PM GMT

Name a Brit TV drama in the last few years that has come close to Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones etc etc. It's not so much less often as not at all recently.

State of Play, Life on Mars, The Hour, Waking the Dead, Elizabeth I (miniseries), The Devil's Whore, City of Vice, Jekyll, Dead Set...

I would say that it was exactly the opposite - It's rare that I really really enjoy an American drama, but I often find British drama very gripping. I think that part of the difference is that the length of a series is so much longer that subtlety and closely written plot has to be drawn out over 3 or 4 times as many episodes. To maintain the momentum over that period of time (and beyond) you need to write in a completely different way and I don't find that formula very engaging at all.