Sherlock Page 67

Quote: KLRiley @ January 21 2012, 11:17 AM GMT

Moff is currently being smug in the Graun. http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/jan/20/steven-moffat-sherlock-doctor-who

Nevermind the interview, just look at the accompanying picture to see the self-satisfied smugness seeping out.

For a man who understandably got fed up with internet tittle-tattle and spoilers of his work, he certainly got a right to feel smug now.

I'd certainly be smug if I had two hit shows on my hands. I'm smug now and I don't even have one!

Wish I'd never read that Guardian piece, he does come across as incredibly smug and self satisfied. Or a c**t as Godot would say.

You're all far too intelligent to base your opinions of somebody on what you read in the papers.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 21 2012, 2:06 PM GMT

You're all far too intelligent to base your opinions of somebody on what you read in the papers.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 21 2012, 1:18 PM GMT

I'd certainly be smug if I had two hit shows on my hands.

One of those hit shows he inherited from someone else, and hasn't done anything particularly interesting with. The other hit show is a reboot of a longstanding franchise. Both shows are notable for patchy writing and variable quality from episode to episode.

Quote: chipolata @ January 21 2012, 2:27 PM GMT

One of those hit shows he inherited from someone else, and hasn't done anything particularly interesting with. The other hit show is a reboot of a longstanding franchise. Both shows are notable for patchy writing and variable quality from episode to episode.

Even his first hit was a rip off of Friends. Right, I've changed my mind, let's burn this f**ker.

I loved this show, but was massively disappointed by the opening of Episode 1, where Moriarty got a random phonecall that let Sherlock and Watson off the hook.

Questions:-

Would a writer of Moffat's skill and use such a 'Deus ex Machina' to save his hero?

What did Moriarty learn in that call?

Could it be significant in the next series?

Has this point already been answered earlier in the thread and are 'Sherlies' even now racing to their keyboards to call be a nob?

Quote: Frantically @ January 21 2012, 3:07 PM GMT

What did Moriarty learn in that call?

I'm assuming that the call was from Irene Lesbo and that she could crack the code for British Intelligence if she had access to Sherlock.

Though I could be wrong and I often am.

I assumed that the phone call was written and shot at the same time as the first series as a placeholder that could be made to fit in with whatever storyline they came up with for the second series.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 21 2012, 3:18 PM GMT

I assumed that the phone call was written and shot at the same time as the first series as a placeholder that could be made to fit in with whatever storyline they came up with for the second series.

True, but it was still a bit of a lame letoff unless it was actually significant. Doesn't seem to have been used in Series 2, so maybe it's going to crop up in series 3. Moffat does seem to like those little clues planted early on that payoff much later.

Or maybe I've simply spent too much time reading this thread. :)

Quote: Frantically @ January 21 2012, 3:26 PM GMT

True, but it was still a bit of a lame letoff unless it was actually significant. Doesn't seem to have been used in Series 2, so maybe it's going to crop up in series 3. Moffat does seem to like those little clues planted early on that payoff much later.

No, it's what Carpark said.

Ah, I missed that.

On an unrelated note I've just realised - Kevin Spacey was Keyser Soze all along!!

Quote: chipolata @ January 21 2012, 2:27 PM GMT

You DON'T like all his stuff? This is brand new information!
It doesn't change the fact he currently runs two hit shows, which was my point, whatever I or some other bod on the internet actually thinks of the quality of them. Whether they're good or not is besides the point.