Sherlock Page 62

Okay, I swear this is the last of my ridiculous grasping at straws... does anyone with a better knowledge of classical music than me know whether what Moriarty was tapping genuinely was the Bach piece he said? Sherlock's statement of 'this is my note' (or words to that effect) along with the musical links make me wonder if there's hidden meaning there?

That tapping-binary thing did bother me, now you mentioned it.

The "few lines of code" bollocks plot device was utter horseshit.

The idea that those few lines of code could be tapped on out a knee in binary and remembered quickly by Sherlock bugged the shit out of me.

To spell out a single *letter* in ASCII, the most commonly accepted binary code, you'd have to do at least eight taps on your knee. Eight bits equals a byte, and a byte can be used to used to represent a letter.

To spell the words "PRINT HELLO" you'd have to tap your knee more than EIGHTY times.

To tap out a full line of simple code on your knee would therefore take several minutes.

To tap out some code that could even pass for code that would bust standard encryption algorithms would take weeks. Weeks!

If Sherlock didn't know this, he's a f**king idiot.

Not sure how true it is but I've seen it claimed that Moriarty tapped out "There is no code" in Morse.

What the f**k is Moriarty doing in Morse?

Morse's been dead for 2 years so has ITV been collabarating with the BBC behind the scenes all this time?

eep I think I just got hit with the neutrino gun.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 17 2012, 12:10 AM GMT

That tapping-binary thing did bother me, now you mentioned it.

The "few lines of code" bollocks plot device was utter horseshit.

The idea that those few lines of code could be tapped on out a knee in binary and remembered quickly by Sherlock bugged the shit out of me.

To spell out a single *letter* in ASCII, the most commonly accepted binary code, you'd have to do at least eight taps on your knee. Eight bits equals a byte, and a byte can be used to used to represent a letter.

To spell the words "PRINT HELLO" you'd have to tap your knee more than EIGHTY times.

To tap out a full line of simple code on your knee would therefore take several minutes.

To tap out some code that could even pass for code that would bust standard encryption algorithms would take weeks. Weeks!

If Sherlock didn't know this, he's a f**king idiot.

Nerd.

This is getting like the Da Vinci Code, with all manner of weird and wonderful things being read into the show. I just hope the big reveal is worth it and not just Sherlock throwing a mannequin off the roof.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 17 2012, 8:57 AM GMT

Nerd.

Coming from the forum's biggest Who nut, I'll take that as a massive insult.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2087814/We-want-people-frenzy-speculation-Sherlock-fans-Twitter-share-theories-Holmes-faked-death.html

Worth it just for the comment from Alexander Lionheart.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2087814/We-want-people-frenzy-speculation-Sherlock-fans-Twitter-share-theories-Holmes-faked-death.html

Worth it just for the comment from Alexander Lionheart.[/quote]

I just re-watched the roof scene and I don't think the positions of the buildings are consistent. I'm going for my imagery techniques theory, that we're seeing two different scenes. Unless I'm going mad. Which in some ways would be a relief as it would mean that my basic observational skills on first viewing weren't incredibly lax.

Quote: Nogget @ January 17 2012, 3:08 PM GMT

[/quote]
Cheers Nogget.

Quote: Rob H @ January 17 2012, 2:57 PM GMT

Next time cut and paste him! It took me at least two minutes to find his comment:

"Honestly, what a pile of drivel. My children were watching. Who in their right minds thinks that the amount of blood shown after the detective's fall is acceptable? Typical left wing "I-love-bodily-fluids" hippies, thinking that everyone shares their depraved opinions. What would Her Royal Higness think, being confronted by a scene like that. She survived TWO WORLD WARS! DO YOU THINK IT IS NECESSARY TO REMIND HER OF THE BLOODSHED? The BBC should be ashamed of this so called "adaptation". An adaptation needs to keep common elements with the original. This worthless waste of space and time shares nothing with the original work's perfectly executed Victorian finesse. Conan Doyle would be spinning in his grave, unless some God awful television writer decided he hadn't actually died and it was all fake.

- Alexander Lionheart, Buckinghamshire, 17/1/2012 14:12"

Quote: Nogget @ January 17 2012, 3:08 PM GMT

Nearly as funny is the Daily Mail readers who gave him 893 boos, after carefully weighing up his argument.

Any Conan Doyle Sherlock readers who can tell me whether it featured in any of the books that Holmes used to get tired of publicity from low grade newspapers.

Also in the books didn't he disappear one time to shake off publicity?

I bet he comes back with brain damage, an annoying personality and hideously malformed head.

eg played by John Barrowman!

Quote: youngian @ January 18 2012, 12:50 PM GMT

Also in the books didn't he disappear one time to shake off publicity?

You're thinking of Stephen Fry. Easy mistake.