Female comedians Page 41

Quote: CallumS @ 12th November 2014, 10:17 PM GMT

Interestingly, I was trying to advocate Nina Conti to a couple of female friends the other day and they immediately said 'female comedians aren't funny' and I found myself in a weird discussion arguing that women are funny to women.

Odd you should mention that, as a woman said that to me just today.

I think there are plenty of funny female comedians.
Stand up is where there are so few good ones compared to the number of good men.
Sitcoms and sketch shows etc they can easily hold their own against men.
Put them in a competitive arena such as Would I Lie To You? or Mock The Week and most seem to be unable to keep up.
Where is the female equivalent of Sean Lock, Jimmy Carr, Lee Mack, Dara O Briain etc?

Well as you say, it's not that there aren't plenty of funny women, so it's up to the bookers to book them (instead of the 'one female guest' always being a non-comedy actress, presenter or newsreader).

Is Dara particularly brilliant/quick? I like him but I wouldn't put him up there with Sean. Dara gets a lot of screen time more because he's the presenter.

On the two shows you mention, off the top of my head I think Sara Pascoe, Katherine Ryan, Susan Calman and Mel Giedroyc get plenty of their material in (not that Mel has material as such, but she talks a lot and it's always hilarious) and certainly hold their own against the other guests.

Quote: Thickasabrick @ 13th November 2014, 1:31 PM GMT

Where is the female equivalent of Sean Lock, Jimmy Carr, Lee Mack, Dara O Briain etc?

Jimmy Carr is the odd man out on this list, he's not quick-witted at all. He just remembers a bunch of old jokes and inserts them into his banter... which is a nice skill to have, but it gets obvious and repetitive after a while.

Back on topic: Aisling Bea has the potential to be just that.

How about Jo Caulfield?

Quote: Thickasabrick @ 13th November 2014, 1:31 PM GMT

I think there are plenty of funny female comedians.
Stand up is where there are so few good ones compared to the number of good men.
Sitcoms and sketch shows etc they can easily hold their own against men.
Put them in a competitive arena such as Would I Lie To You? or Mock The Week and most seem to be unable to keep up.

I think the female equivalent of Dara O'Briain is Sinead O'Connor, but she's not funny at all.

You could equally say where's the male equivalent of Susan Calman, Bridget Christie, Josie Long etc.

Not keeping up on MTW is certainly no mark against you. The regulars on that show (Parsons mainly) waste a lot of time slowly telling the most obvious jokes that most people would think of and reject for not being good enough to say out loud.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 15th November 2014, 1:14 PM GMT

I think the female equivalent of Dara O'Briain is Sinead O'Connor, but she's not funny at all.

You could equally say where's the male equivalent of Susan Calman, Bridget Christie, Josie Long etc.

Not keeping up on MTW is certainly no mark against you. The regulars on that show (Parsons mainly) waste a lot of time slowly telling the most obvious jokes that most people would think of and reject for not being good enough to say out loud.

Hah, very well said.

Jackie O'Nassis?

Just like Dara O'Briain.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 15th November 2014, 1:45 PM GMT

Jackie O'Nassis?

It was the Irish + bald connection I was going for. If you're reading this Sinaed, I apologise. I shouldn't of likened you to anyone or anything. As we all know, nothing compares to you.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 15th November 2014, 10:14 PM GMT

I shouldn't of likened you to anyone or anything.

NO - NO - NO! WHY ARE PEOPLE SO THICK??????

IT'S SHOULDN'T'VE.

Quote: Chappers @ 15th November 2014, 10:16 PM GMT

NO - NO - NO! WHY ARE PEOPLE SO THICK??????

IT'S SHOULDN'T'VE.

You sh'ud'n'teve' corrected me Chappers. Calling me thick for making a mild grammatical error while typing, watching TV and drinking a glass of milk at the same time. That's just mean.

I was going to invite you round mine for Christmas this year. I'm not going to Barrymore. (I know Barrymore looks wrong, but I spell checked anymore and this was the suggested correction. I didn't want to make another mistake and get bullied again, so I thought I better change it, just to be safe.)

Could we get back to O' puns? O'Forthewingsofadove maybe?

Oh dear ;)

This might be considered sexist by some. Though I'm not judging you, I honestly think females are quite funny and in some cases, they sound funner than men. I know some females who can make people laugh their lungs off. All you have to do is to wait for their funny bone to tickle.