Female comedians Page 36

Please come and see my show so I can prove you wrong - Isy Suttie and Cariad Lloyd are on too - all happy to prove you wrong I'm sure - next wed 25th - 'Ariadne the WAG's Comedy BAG' @ Madame Jojos, soho -

www.ariadnethewagscomedybag.com

Quote: Steffunny @ January 9 2012, 7:17 PM GMT

You can support an up and coming female comic, RIGHT NOW! Top 3 voted comics go to Vegas to perform live. You can vote for me on Facebook and registering on the contest site.

1) Sign up Email. Please click this link, http://www.improvcc.com/index.php/videos/view?id=90
Register an email and password, and vote for me!!!
If you'd like, take time to look at the video. If you think I'm funny, please leave me a comment on the contest site! I love comments!!! Don't leave voting info. on the site.

2) Use Facebook
Click http://apps.facebook.com/the_improv_up_yours/?ref=ts
Accept the app, then click on the tab at the top marked "LEADERBOARD".
Click on Stephanie Hillier and click on Vote.

You can support an up and coming female comic, RIGHT NOW! Top 3 voted comics go to Vegas to perform live. You can vote for me on Facebook and registering on the contest site.

1) Sign up Email. Please click this link, http://www.improvcc.com/index.php/videos/view?id=90
Register an email and password, and vote for me!!!
If you'd like, take time to look at the video. If you think I'm funny, please leave me a comment on the contest site! I love comments!!! Don't leave voting info. on the site.

2) Use Facebook
Click http://apps.facebook.com/the_improv_up_yours/?ref=ts
Accept the app, then click on the tab at the top marked "LEADERBOARD".
Click on Stephanie Hillier and click on Vote.

Yes, all this self advertising on female comedy threads reinforces the view that many (not all) comediennes, or 'female comedians' for the bizarrely offended, get success by whipping up a following from their 'sisters'. I'd say it's not really the same as being genuinely funny to most people, it's more of a gender-exclusive conversation or 'love in' with other females. A club, if you will.

I watched your video, Steffunny, to see if I found you funny, and give you due credit for being genuinely, broadly, common sensically funny after all. My definition of funny doesn't include regular loud whoo noises, I'm afraid, in place of spoken funny lines or statements, or dare I say, jokes, in order to garner an audience response. I concede this could be down to me being non American, for which I apologise. Perhaps you'll have more success promoting yourself on USA websites? Just a thought.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ January 20 2012, 9:50 AM GMT

Yes, all this self advertising on female comedy threads reinforces the view that many (not all) comediennes, or 'female comedians' for the bizarrely offended, get success by whipping up a following from their 'sisters'.

Does it?
Did any women post replies?
Or were they roundly ignored by everyone, just like when men join and post ads for themselves on the other threads.

Quote: zooo @ January 20 2012, 10:14 AM GMT

Does it?
Did any women post replies?
Or were they roundly ignored by everyone, just like when men join and post ads for themselves on the other threads.

Zooo Paxman springs into action.

Just sayin'!

I'd say most male comedians, or comedians, who post their services here do so completely regardless of the gender make up of the members or readers. Just a complete guess based on loose obvservation, not studied research or experience of having worked these boards, as you have. I am here to be corrected if you can post evidence to the contrary.

And you are quite right to say her attempts didn't garner responses from females, as far as we know, but I remain confident that this was her aim. Many other more successful comediennes, or female comedians do indeed prosper greatly by means of gender exclusive marketing.

Well, there aren't any threads called 'Male comedy', because every thread is assumed to be male-centric so there's no reason for anyone to make one.
If there had been special threads made called 'male comedians' etc, male posters would similarly hunt them out with the search function and post ads on them.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ January 20 2012, 10:34 AM GMT

I'd say most male comedians, or comedians, who post their services here do so completely regardless of the gender make up of the members or readers. Just a complete guess based on loose obvservation, not studied research or experience of having worked these boards, as you have. I am here to be corrected if you can post evidence to the contrary.

Yeah, but if you're a female comedian and want to promote yourself here, threads entitled Female Comedians might strike a newby as a place to start. Granted, it shows a lack of understanding of the boards, and the best way to push yourself here, but I wouldn't read too much into it.

Agree with both of you of course. My point was trying to suggest, not very well, that in targetting a gender of viewers, you are likely to alienate the other gender, and that maybe this is what has already happened broadly in female comedy? Do that many men really find all females unfunny? I know I don't.

I reckon it's more to do with a huff about being perceived to be excluded from the start, and general petty gender competitiveness, which seems to me, to have hit the roof in recent years, no doubt partly due to the interweb. Is this clearer?

Some women comedians target women, sure. But I don't think most do. Just like some northern comedians target northerners, but most don't.
I honestly don't think women do anything different from any other group of comedians.

Quote: zooo @ January 20 2012, 11:02 AM GMT

I honestly don't think women do anything different from any other group of comedians.

Talking about their periods?

As you just demonstrated, men talk about that way more than women. ;)

Quote: zooo @ January 20 2012, 11:10 AM GMT

As you just demonstrated, men talk about that way more than women. ;)

To be fair, as a person who's seen more than his fair share of live comedy, I've never once heard a guy talking about his period on stage. That said, for that very reason, I will now start the trend.

Guys tend to be equally predictable mind you, only they prefer jokes about kiddy fiddling and necrophilia.

Can't we just put a full stop to periods?

Quote: Marc P @ January 20 2012, 11:15 AM GMT

Can't we just put a full stop to periods?

You better believe that's going into the act #gagpie