Female comedians Page 38

http://kateharding.info/2012/07/13/15-rape-jokes-that-work/

If you like female comedians, Holly Walsh is performing at a charity gig in Leicester Square, London on the 11th July.

Also at the event will be Lempit Opik, Marcel Lucont, Matt Crosby and the head liner will be Paul Chowdry.

For information on tickets go to www.eventelephant.com/comedyrocksbarrumba.

Or alterntatively find us in the correct thread.

Lempit Oatcake? Unless that all in wrestlers going to kick his head in again it's not much of a draw.

Quote: sootyj @ May 27 2013, 9:59 PM BST

http://kateharding.info/2012/07/13/15-rape-jokes-that-work/

Good one, echoes my thoughts too pretty much.

PS: My favourite female comedians (comediennes?) would be: Tina Fey (absolutely brilliant) Jessica Hynes (nuff said), Maria Bamford. Not a big fan of Sarah Silverman et al. though - many people love her though tbf.

Quote: amin @ July 18 2010, 10:24 PM BST

Is it just me or does anyone else think female comedians and females in general are just not funny?

Isn't it strange how people react to a simple statement like this and assume it's from a sexist viewpoint?
How many football fans don't think women's football is at the same standard as men's?
I think male synchronized swimming is awful but most of the ladies I have observed do it rather well! This does not imply that I may at some future point be impressed by a delightfully elegant male participant!

It suggests to me that the person has seen very few female comedians. And is also a bit thick.

If someone honestly thinks that merely owning a vagina causes a person to not be funny, it suggests they would be just as likely to believe that there is a connection between funny and hair colour, or height. Perhaps people with brown hair can't be funny. Or people over 5'10". Or any other such random thing.

So yeah, tends to suggest the person isn't too intelligent either. But if they're happy to represent themselves as such, then more power to them!

Quote: Compo @ June 23 2013, 1:29 PM BST

Isn't it strange how people react to a simple statement like this and assume it's from a sexist viewpoint?

That simple statement is the very definition of sexist. That's what sexist means.

If he'd said 'I have never seen a female comedian that I happened to find funny' then that would just be his opinion based on his experiences, and be fine and dandy.
I would still think he hadn't seen many female comedians though.

Quote: zooo @ June 23 2013, 1:37 PM BST

they would be just as likely to believe that there is a connection between funny and hair colour, or height. Perhaps people with brown hair can't be funny. Or people over 5'10". Or any other such random thing.

Yeah I suppose you're right.... Midgets are the funniest. Everyone knows that!

Does our hero really have to sit through the acts of every female comedienne in the world past and present to be able to generalise?
I haven't put my hand in many fires but I have decided that most of them will be hot!
I think children are not as mature as adults but I haven't met them all!
Can no man (or woman...sorry!!) generalise based on their own experiences? Isn't that how the world works?

Sure, as long as you admit you are generalising and being sexist. ;)
Be out and proud!

Definition of sexism
noun
[mass noun]

prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex: sexism in language is an offensive reminder of the way the culture sees women
------------------------------------------------------------

"Does anyone think women don't have penises?"

So that statement is an offensive reminder of the way culture sees women is it?

...anyway an end to my defence of our original poster, I'm off to watch all my Bernard Manning videos whilst hankering for a less verbally restrictive society.
Personally I find lots of women funny ask any of my wives! (But only when they have finished all the housework!)
Wave

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're rather odd.

That was a rather short argument. Hmmm, Compo is no Renegade Carpark.

Julia Davis and Morwenna Banks are my favourite commediennes.

Queenie from Black Adder 2 and Elaine from Seinfeld are the best female sitcom characters.

Quote: Jackson Neil @ 23rd May 2014, 8:26 AM BST

Julia Davis and Morwenna Banks are my favourite commediennes.

Apart from being great writers and great actors these two are both naturally very funny. Oh - and quite attractive too but of course that is totally irrelevant.

Quote: Compo @ 23rd June 2013, 3:18 PM BST

I'm off to watch all my Bernard Manning videos whilst wankering.

Each to their own. But I can't say I am surprised.

Camilla Cleese, John Cleese's daughter, is currently doing stand up. She also works on podcast with Steve Hofstetter and Danny Jolles.