Female comedians Page 32

Quote: sootyj @ September 9 2011, 12:59 PM BST

Do you honestly believe what you're typing or is this one of these moments when you get a little bored and just type to create effect?

There's plenty of good female comedians.

Well you agree with me in the rest of your reply. I'm sure there are tons of great female comics working out there. Not many spring to mind though. Not in the same way male comics do. And I do realise we are bombarded with male stand-ups more than female ones but even the breakout female ones haven't left much of an impression on me.

Quote: Leevil @ September 9 2011, 12:48 PM BST

I've tried to get on with Sarah Silverman but I just can't, she grates me. After Googling the other two I suspect that they are similar to Sarah. Thanks for the recommendations though, I'll keep an eye out for em.

Give Silverman a miss if you don't like her but Nataro and Bamford are very much their own beasts...

Notaro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwqPeVkiDR4

Bamford: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDnLedkBjWg

Oh, and here's some Kristen Schaal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E451Nx2Wyk

Quote: David Bussell @ September 9 2011, 1:10 PM BST

Give Silverman a miss if you don't like her but Nataro and Bamford are very much their own beasts...

Fair enough :) Tig was quite good.

Quote: Leevil @ September 9 2011, 1:18 PM BST

Fair enough :) Tig was quite good.

There's just no pleasing you, is there? Do I have to strap on a pair of boobs and get my dick cut off before you'll laugh?

No pleasing me?! This is now the second time I've agreed with you upon a topic. And you still take it the opposite way. Am I not typing what I think I'm typing?

Quote: Leevil @ September 9 2011, 1:26 PM BST

No pleasing me?! This is now the second time I've agreed with you upon a topic. And you still take it the opposite way. Am I not typing what I think I'm typing?

I'll kill you! I'll kill all of you!

SETTINGS > KEYBOARD > LANGUAGES > CONFUSE BUSSELL (INTERNATIONAL)

Ah, I see the problem (yourmothersucksocksinhell).

SETTINGS > KEYBOARD > LANGUAGES > ENGLISH (BRITISH)

Good morrow old bean, would you like a spot of tea?

Quote: Leevil @ September 9 2011, 1:42 PM BST

SETTINGS > KEYBOARD > LANGUAGES > CONFUSE BUSSELL (INTERNATIONAL)

Ah, I see the problem (yourmothersucksocksinhell).

SETTINGS > KEYBOARD > LANGUAGES > ENGLISH (BRITISH)

Good morrow old bean, would you like a spot of tea?

:D

Quote: Leevil @ September 9 2011, 1:03 PM BST

Well you agree with me in the rest of your reply. I'm sure there are tons of great female comics working out there. Not many spring to mind though. Not in the same way male comics do. And I do realise we are bombarded with male standups more than female ones but even the breakout female ones haven't left much of an impression on me.

Nope I was referring to a style of comedy which doesn't represent all female comedians.

e.g. Victoria Wood has well structured sets that build up and end on a punch line.

or Smack the Pony had a highly conventional comedic structure.

Leevil what do you know less about comedy or women?

Smack The Pony isn't stand-up. Victoria Wood isn't funny and it has nothing to do with being a woman.

Smack The Pony is also my favourite sketch show. I've also stated that I believe that there are plenty of funny women within comedy. My point was that I couldn't think any stand-up routines that left an impression on ME.

Quote: sootyj @ September 9 2011, 2:01 PM BST

Leevil what do you know less about comedy...

Comedy is subjective.

Quote: Leevil @ September 9 2011, 2:06 PM BST

Victoria Wood isn't funny

SHE IS TOO!!!

Comedy is subjective.

Oh.

:D You're funny zooo.

Do you watch much stand up outside of TV comics, Leev?

Nope. Never.

Quote: Leevil @ September 9 2011, 2:23 PM BST

Nope. Never.

The trouble is that you get an awful lot of sanitised shit on TV. That's why you find so many people saying that all women comics talk about is periods, cake and relationships. I mean, arguably the latter is often fair, but then a lot of male stand-ups talk about sex and relationships an awful lot too. Taking Sarah Millican for example, her material doesn't differ that much really, but on TV she's just a bit rude and naughty - live, she's probably coarser than Jim Davidson.

Summary: get some DVDs or try to find a reasonably cheap performance somewhere near you. You might surprise yourself.