The gambling thread Page 16

Red card and penalty in injury time.

Referee is trying his best...

Porto drawing, and almost losing like that has actually scared me a bit. That's the type of shit that can destroy people's lives. When it comes to teams with odds of 1/10, or Coral's odds of 1/7, people bet thousands on them, because they win 99% of the time. Sometimes you can go a whole season without seeing a team with odds like that not winning.

When Blackburn rovers took the lead at old trafford recently I bunged loads on utd to win

Couldn't elfin believe it when they lost!

Bastards

Quote: lofthouse @ March 10 2012, 10:13 PM GMT

When Blackburn rovers took the lead at old trafford recently I bunged loads on utd to win

Couldn't elfin believe it when they lost!

Bastards

But at least you were happy they lost - weren't you?

Porto finished 1-1

Ffs! So close to backing the draw

Quote: Chappers @ March 10 2012, 10:19 PM GMT

But at least you were happy they lost - weren't you?

Not really

We needed rovers to lose

Surviving relegation supersedes my utter loathing of the red shite down the road!

I've just been checking the Portugese League table out, and Porto are top, one point ahead of the team in second place, so they should really have been trying their best to get a win. They are also 30 points ahead of the team they were almost just beaten by.

Quote: lofthouse @ March 10 2012, 10:21 PM GMT

my utter loathing of the red shite down the road!

At least I'm not the only one.

Quote: catskillz @ March 10 2012, 10:08 PM GMT

Porto drawing, and almost losing like that has actually scared me a bit. That's the type of shit that can destroy people's lives. When it comes to teams with odds of 1/10, or Coral's odds of 1/7, people bet thousands on them, because they win 99% of the time. Sometimes you can go a whole season without seeing a team with odds like that not winning.

You sound like you think betting is a sure thing. Of course there's a chance they're not going to happen. Let's assume there's no corruption, but of course teams are still going to have an off day. THERE ARE NO SURE THINGS. FFS. I have no sympathy for anyone who's bet money they can't afford to lose.

With Porto at the top of the league, and only one point ahead of the team in second, I think it's safe to say there was nothing crooked about that result.

I always tell people that the time I spent gambling seriously was like me dipping my toe in a bath to see how hot it is. I used to bet on teams with odds like 1/5, 1/6 and 1/7 week in week out, and as I said in the comment you've quoted, they did win 99% of the time. Actually I had 20 big wins in a row betting like that, back in 2001. Results like Porto's are freak occurances, like the ball landing in the same number twice-in-a-row in Roulette. If you've got money left over, you can usually work your way back up before there's another freak occurance. My main problem was I was spending part of my winnings, instead of keeping hold of them all until I'd reached a particular target amount, ensuring that I would have enough money to carry on when a freak occurance popped up. So I dipped my toe in the water for two seasons, and decided to stop, well, apart from the odd little bet.

When I refer to something as a sure thing, it is just a figure of speech. I don't mean it literally.

It's clip time again. This is for the people who like to bet on the gee-gees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbLGmJQs7_A

What sort of money were you staking when gambling "seriously"?

Dear oh dear....10 hours after my debut on this thread and already my granny is living in a cardboard box behind Anderston Bus Station.

Nevermind, I'll win the house back today by observing some 'rules of football'. For example:

-All Dutch games have at least 5 goals.

-In Japanese football it is considered impolite to score in the first half.

-The Spanish 11am kick-offs always end 0-0 because in the first half the teams are still waking up and in the second they are getting ready for their siesta.

There is nothing that can go wrong with today's plan......

:) Sorry but my son was into this had to stop it, He lost loads money.

They are set up to take Punters money and 'Hook' them, they make the profit or they would'nt be there- Simples.

Completely agree

they always win even if they have to wait a while.

Maybe you're right, but I'm definitely up over the course of the 5 years on and off I've been betting. Not by a fortune, by any means, but up.