Any feedback on our re-launch? Page 6

Quote: Aaron @ February 17 2010, 5:19 PM GMT

I liked it expanding to the full width of my screen!

Madness! It's hard enough for a human to process it at the current width. About 12 words per line has been scientifically proven as the most user-friendly (and the forum is a lot more than that even in this new constrained format).

Quote: Aaron @ February 17 2010, 5:23 PM GMT

No, he means turned on. They were always supposed to be full boxes (although admittedly not as large as I ended up leaving them). In compatibility mode they show with just the side borders.

Oh. That's how I thought they were meant to look, all small and neat (they look better in compatibility mode than in normal mode I think!). Either way, sounds like something to look into a bit later.

Quote: Aaron @ February 17 2010, 5:19 PM GMT

I liked it expanding to the full width of my screen!

It still does that in IE6 if you can stand to use it.

Quote: Mark @ February 17 2010, 5:17 PM GMT

The forums are now like the rest of the website in that they're set to be a maximum width of just over 1024px. This is so things don't get too hard to read on large screens.

Have you got the "I'm A Writer, Producer etc" button ticked?

The last posts section is coming back, and it'll be bigger and better - we just didn't get a chance to finish it before we had to launch.

That box in the profile page just means "I'm interested in writing etc" really (but it was too long to say that) - so if you do want to see all the writer-related threads do tick that box (it'll also be used for other opt-in/out things when our 'Make It' area launches which you'll presumably want to look at too). Basically just think of that option as including "Writer Supporters" too :)

Okay I didn't check the box - my mistake.

I understand what you're saying about a fixed width Mark, but the forum feels a bit cramped to me now. I don't get why nothing is edge to edge under the banner either - seems the balance isn't quite right in terms of margins. I guess you'll iron it all out over time.

Dare I ask if the search function is improved?

No, I have not touched the search functionality yet. It's working just as well as it always has.

I thought you HAD improved the search For the first time I saw the results organised by thread and post. Although I'm not sure if this is because I used the 'find' button on the top left, rather than the search link on the top right?

No, they both use the same search engine. They've always been organised by thread and post too; just formatted a little better now.

Oh, right. I just used to get a long CPU crashing list of result.

Yep, still the same. The trick is to stop the page loading half way through.

My search is only finding thread titles with that particular string in, not individual posts.

Dan

What are you searching for?

Well, 'Dan' should give me every single post I've ever posted! It just gives me stuff with the string 'dan' in the thread title.

Dan

Well I'm seeing them. I'll have a look at it later on.

It does say 'Matching Threads' at the top. Do I need to set something differently?

It's doing the same in Chrome and IE7.

Ta

Dan

When will we be able to use the PM facility again?

I told you, Freve. You can send those naked photos to my email for now.

Laughing out loud

*Clicks send