Any feedback on our re-launch? Page 5

Quote: Aaron @ February 17 2010, 3:05 PM GMT

Perhaps. Suggestions?

I'll PM you. Or well I will when it's working again.

Quote: billwill @ February 17 2010, 3:00 PM GMT

Isn't this all somewhat over elaborate and it won't cover all possible cases.

So would it not be simpler and more useful to add tick-boxes for every section to the profile, and each person ticks those which s/he wishes to be included in his/her active-threads display.

That would be over-elaborate.

Quote: Aaron @ February 17 2010, 3:08 PM GMT

They'll show up on your profile page soon.

Ta v. much.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 17 2010, 10:39 AM GMT

Hi Mark. The site is displaying with a fixed width on a Mac.

I tested it in Safari 4.0.4, Opera 10.10 and Firefox 3.5.3. (I'm assuming that the way it displays in IE6 is what you're after).

You've also got some padding/margin issues - the usual 1 pixel stuff you get when you develop in Explorer.

The pages number boxes aren't displaying properly either - not even in IE6.

We're aware of the page number boxes over/underlapping on the thread view pages. Unless it's that, I can't see any of these "padding/margin issues" you speak of in any browser though. Perhaps you could post a screenshot?

Yeah no problem. Upload some now.

IE 6 Mac emulated

[
Safari 4

Firefox 3.5

Opera 10

Comparison of a quotebox

As you can see from the comparison the only mac browser that draws the line above the quotebox properly is Firefox.
All the browsers put the blue name bar over the edge on the right side by about 1 pixel.
The page doesn't expand to fill the window on any of them - not sure whether you wanted this or not - guessing you did.

Sorry, I can't see what's wrong there. Unless you're referring to the large empty void to the right of the avatars? (Although obviously the fixed-width isn't working, but I don't think that's something we're really too bothered about.)

Hang on Aaron let me fix these links.

Ah yes, I see now. Yeah, the 1px quote thing is something that's always been there (I see it), but it's just not major or noticeable enough - and certainly not detrimental enough - for me to be bothered about enough to fix.

And the site is fixed width.

Oh right - that makes sense. Good old IE6.

It annoys the hell out of me.

Thanks for all the feedback. Glad most of it is positive. Just to answer a couple of specifics...

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 17 2010, 12:50 PM GMT

Aaargh! How do I log out without having to switch my computer off?!

As Ellie says, there's an option in the top right hand corner of the page. If you're using your own computer though don't bother logging out, it'll save you having to enter your login details again next time you turn on your computer and visit (don't worry, when you turn off your computer the website will spot you have gone offline - pressing 'logout' is only for those using public computers who don't want the next user of the PC getting access to their account).

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 17 2010, 12:50 PM GMT

How do I unsubscribe from threads?!

A forthcoming improvement is that you'll be easily able to subscribe or unsubscribe from threads. For now though, don't tick the 'Subscribe to this thread' button when you post if you don't want to get emails. There's an option in your account that allows you to toggle whether you auto-subscribe or not.

Hi Mark. The site is displaying with a fixed width on a Mac.

The forums are now like the rest of the website in that they're set to be a maximum width of just over 1024px. This is so things don't get too hard to read on large screens.

I tested it in Safari 4.0.4, Opera 10.10 and Firefox 3.5.3. (I'm assuming that the way it displays in IE6 is what you're after). You've also got some padding/margin issues - the usual 1 pixel stuff you get when you develop in Explorer. The pages number boxes aren't displaying properly either - not even in IE6.

Thanks for letting me know. As we had to rush out the new version un-expectedly we didn't get to do quite as much testing as I would have liked. We will look into these.

Quote: Badge @ February 16 2010, 9:55 PM GMT

Avatars are a pain when I'm trying to read the BCG Forums on my tiny web-enabled-but-not-very-smart mobile phone.

I'm sure when we've got a bit more time we will produce a mobile version of the forums.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 17 2010, 11:29 AM GMT

Ha, ha! Mark you should become a politician. You've basically said that people who post regularly are less important than casual viewers who only come to see when a DVD of will come out.

Just like a good politician, I will deny that! No, seriously, that's not what I mean. It just so happens that the Critique section is the 'niche' area that generates the most posts (if there start to be more 'Introduction' threads we'll do the same with them). Some of our most regular posters are not comedy writers and have commented in the past about Critique taking over - so it's a feature for the regulars as much as anything.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 17 2010, 11:29 AM GMT

Incidentally I just posted in critique and it didn't show up in my active threads. Clicking on my log-in icon no longer brings up my last ten posts.

Have you got the "I'm A Writer, Producer etc" button ticked?

The last posts section is coming back, and it'll be bigger and better - we just didn't get a chance to finish it before we had to launch.

Quote: billwill @ February 17 2010, 3:00 PM GMT

Isn'y this all somewhat over elaborate and it won't cover all possible cases. Me for instance, I don't fall in any of those tick boxes of 'being a witer' because I'm a writer support-person.

That box in the profile page just means "I'm interested in writing etc" really (but it was too long to say that) - so if you do want to see all the writer-related threads do tick that box (it'll also be used for other opt-in/out things when our 'Make It' area launches which you'll presumably want to look at too). Basically just think of that option as including "Writer Supporters" too :)

Quote: EllieJP @ February 17 2010, 3:08 PM GMT

I'll PM you. Or well I will when it's working again.

Ha. The new PM system has a number of improvements to it. It's going to be a bit like a mini-email system. Got to find the time to finish it though!

I doubt it matters, but the page number boxes look pretty ropey in IE8 with Compatibility View turned on.

Quote: Mark @ February 17 2010, 5:17 PM GMT

The forums are now like the rest of the website in that they're set to be a maximum width of just over 1024px. This is so things don't get too hard to read on large screens.

I liked it expanding to the full width of my screen!

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ February 17 2010, 5:19 PM GMT

I doubt it matters, but the page number boxes look pretty ropey in IE8 with Compatibility View turned on.

Do you mean turned off? i.e. the buttons are really big. Godot has mentioned about them too. We'll stick it on the bug list.

No, he means turned on. They were always supposed to be full boxes (although admittedly not as large as I ended up leaving them). In compatibility mode they show with just the side borders.