Things that piss you off Page 1,841

Quote: fasty @ 28th June 2023, 9:49 AM

Gathered round the transistor radio in the dark in the early 70's listening to BBC local radio announcers who weren't local

Allestree: Locals say Allerstree, they say Alls-tree.

Idridgehay: pron Eye-drajay, heard it called Id-rig-ahay

Suffolk, and Norfolk *spits* are full of villages with names nothing like they are pronounced.

Garboldisham is a classic.

Quote: fasty @ 28th June 2023, 9:49 AM

Gathered round the transistor radio in the dark in the early 70's listening to BBC local radio announcers who weren't local

Allestree: Locals say Allerstree, they say Alls-tree.

Idridgehay: pron Eye-drajay, heard it called Id-rig-ahay

No idea what you're talking about. Can you translate please?

That bloody BBC continuity announcer who can't bloody speak English properly. It's all about box ticking.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th June 2023, 3:03 PM

Suffolk, and Norfolk *spits* are full of villages with names nothing like they are pronounced.

Garboldisham is a classic.

You got me there :) A Yank once asked me the way to Wor-cester.

Quote: Chappers @ 28th June 2023, 8:34 PM

No idea what you're talking about. Can you translate please?

BBC local radio announcer, not local, doesn't pronounce local place names the way they are pronounced locally ;)

Quote: fasty @ 1st July 2023, 7:49 AM

You got me there :) A Yank once asked me the way to Wor-cester.

Basically, you miss out the "old" - so Garbisham, and the other one I used to get with Yanks, when I worked in the USAF bases, was Lie-sester for Leicester (Lester, of course) - we're a weird bunch in this country. Mind you, the Americans are just as bad - they have Kansas (OK) , but then the anomaly Arkansas (Arkansaw), and they have Baton Rouge, which is pronounced as we would, but for "baton" on its own, it is pronounced "batarn" - bloody weird.

Quote: fasty @ 1st July 2023, 7:49 AM

BBC local radio announcer, not local, doesn't pronounce local place names the way they are pronounced locally ;)

Don't worry, that's just Chappers being his usual pernickety hair splitting, if you are not making yourself completely clear, in his eyes I knew exactly what you meant 🙂

I'm so sick of how any criticism, no matter how intelligent, makes you a 'hater'. If Adolf Hitler was around these days, it'd be all 'Adolf hits back at the haters and trolls! 'Just because I believe in the establishment of a totalitarian state, the extremination of an entire race and mass annihilation, people criticise me. Well leave me alone, haters! I'm entitled to my opinions, right?' Go, Adolf! That's the attitude we love in our celebs! Don't let the moaners drag you down. You're AWESOME, dude!'

I realise advertisements on web pages provide a revenue source and I have no complaints about them.
After all, I am seeing or reading the content of the site for free.
But, some are becoming so intrusive and block the whole page with no way of actually seeing what is behind it.
Or they butt in the middle of the text, moving what you are reading up or down off the screen.
It must be counterproductive as you don't visit that site again.

The worst offender for that is Reach, the newspaper owners. If you try and look at one of their clickbait teasers, it's impossible to fight your way through a sea of pop up adverts. Just don't bother.

I was getting video ads constantly appearing in the bottom right of the page and closing them would just result in a new one loading. It happened on a few websites and only with Chrome so I've just installed the adblocker app for Chrome and it does exactly what it says on the tin. It's even removed banner ads on websites that only remove them for paid subscribers.

Travel companies that market holidays in the UK as Staycations.

No. Holidays in the UK are just that - holidays. We've been taking them for years.

Staycations are when people, instead of going on holiday, stay at home (and maybe take day trips), which became a "thing" during the pandemic.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 14th July 2023, 6:36 PM

Travel companies that market holidays in the UK as Staycations.

No. Holidays in the UK are just that - holidays. We've been taking them for years.

Staycations are when people, instead of going on holiday, stay at home (and maybe take day trips), which became a "thing" during the pandemic.

Yeah, but words often change their meaning over time. That said, I do largely agree with you that when I hear staycation, I think of people staying at home.

Bloody so called weather forecasters starting their nonsense with "Miserable weather, I'm afraid", just because it is raining - nothing miserable about that, you knobs! Very welcome, in fact!!

They should listen to "Mamunia" from Wing's brilliant Band on the Run album

It is miserable weather, though.

Rain makes me happy, heat makes me miserable. So there.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd July 2023, 9:19 AM

Bloody so called weather forecasters starting their nonsense with "Miserable weather, I'm afraid", just because it is raining - nothing miserable about that, you knobs! Very welcome, in fact!!

They should listen to "Mamunia" from Wing's brilliant Band on the Run album

Your a man of taste Herc. The sound of rain is very relaxing, calm after the storm and all that.