Things that piss you off Page 1,529

I guess because heads up and give me the nod mean two completely different things. Unless, I guess, you are on Hampstead Heath at night?

Quote: Marc P @ 17th August 2014, 10:33 AM BST

I guess because heads up and give me the nod mean two completely different things. Unless, I guess, you are on Hampstead Heath at night?

"two completely different things"

Not in my part of the world.

Oh dear. Heads up means be ready to receive some information, and give me the nod means give approval to.

I like the Americanisms, in fact I'm rather disappointed shop assistants haven't yet been instructed to shout 'ya'll come back now, ya here?' on departing customers.

Quote: Marc P @ 17th August 2014, 11:09 AM BST

Oh dear. Heads up means be ready to receive some information, and give me the nod means give approval to.

Hmmmm, can't agree with you there. They are used in different situations and therefore can have different interpretations. But.......

Heads Up I think you will find primarily means to give a prior warning or info. that might be useful, which give me the nod, where I come from, has a similar meaning.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 17th August 2014, 11:41 AM BST

I like the Americanisms, in fact I'm rather disappointed shop assistants haven't yet been instructed to shout 'ya'll come back now, ya here?' on departing customers.

Missing y'all already. Angry

Quote: Will Cam @ 17th August 2014, 8:42 AM BST

Being on a mountain holiday, having a fantastic view from my balcony totally ruined by the f**kwits either side of me who seem to take it it turns to smoke at any time of the day or night I decide to take in the clear mountain air.

God damn all you inconsiderate smelly retarded smokers!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th August 2014, 11:51 AM BST

Heads Up I think you will find primarily means to give a prior warning or info. that might be useful, which give me the nod, where I come from, has a similar meaning.

Fair enough, :) not a common usage but I will magnanimously take your word for it and give you the nod in this instance :)

'Early doors' is another one that pisses me off.

Quote: keewik @ 17th August 2014, 12:17 PM BST

'Early doors' is another one that pisses me off.

Only because you are already in there!

Only this morning on the BBC news the reporter said 'Homicide' referring to the Indians found in the container.

Book em Danno

God forbid language to evolve Rolling eyes

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th August 2014, 11:51 AM BST

"nod' implies to nod in agreement, as in 'to agree on the nod' - to decide without formal discussion.

I am not sure I have come across 'give me the nod', but I think there is possibly a slight distinction between 'tip me the nod', which is a discrete signal to proceed, and 'tip me the wink' which is to pass on information, and therefore has a meaning closer to 'heads up'.

Quote: Marc P @ 17th August 2014, 11:09 AM BST

Does it?

Or does it come from a warplane Heads-up display whereby critical flight info is reflected off the windscreen so that you can read it without taking your eyes off the target.

If so it approximates closely to "give me a nod".

Who invented the heads up display anyway? UK or USA ?

Quote: billwill @ 17th August 2014, 12:52 PM BST

Does it?

Or does it come from a warplane Heads-up display whereby critical flight info is reflected off the windscreen so that you can read it without taking your eyes off the target.

If so it approximates closely to "give me a nod".

Who invented the heads up display anyway? UK or USA ?

Yes and no to second it didn't. :)

Quote: Lee @ 17th August 2014, 12:36 PM BST

God forbid language to evolve Rolling eyes

I'm with Lee and Stephen Fry.
Some Americanisms can be annoying, but generally I don't mind people using new words. No one's making you use them!