The Young Ones Page 3

On the subject of Alexis Sayle, he's developed into a very fine short story writer. And his series was worth watching both because it was great "angry" comedy, and because David Renwick wrote for him, and David Renwick's stuff is always worth watching.

As for The Young Ones, I've said it before, but it does seem hideously dated.

I am currently looking for a suit of armour as protection from the fall-out from this post.

I always loved Rick Mayall and Ade Edmonson. The Comic Strip Presents and Kevin Turvey etc. But...

I found The Young Ones about as funny as a broken leg. It was poorly written IMO and relied almost purely on shock value as the main thrust of the show.

Many have said that it was representative of a sea change in British sitcom and I would agree. A sea change for the worse and it was probably responsible for an awful lot of sh*t that followed on, as many realised that the Beeb would put on any old tosh in a bid to be yoof friendly and different.

Having had the misfortune of seeing an episode recently, I would have to agree that the passage of time has done nothing to make me feel any more well disposed towards this dire nonsense.

*Runs for nearest nuclear fall-out shelter*

Quote: Blenkinsop @ January 31, 2008, 10:51 PM

Many have said that it was representative of a sea change in British sitcom and I would agree. A sea change for the worse and it was probably responsible for an awful lot of sh*t that followed on, as many realised that the Beeb would put on any old tosh in a bid to be yoof friendly and different.

Having not been around at the time (not even a glint in the milkman's eye), I really can't comment on the rest of your post, but this? This I agree with wholeheartedly.

I've just watched the Bambi episode of TYO on BBC2 tonight - right up there in my Top 20 all time sitcom episodes. So many stars in one show.

Question that has always puzzled me...just before Motorhead comes on, there's a 2 second break which has 'The End' from what looks like the closing credits of a western movie. It doesn't seem to relate to the show in anyway so does anyone know why it's there?

Ah, just found this: http://www.fortunecity.com/lavendar/hawkslane/231/yo21.html

[SCENE: The guys are back sitting dejectedly at the kitchen table.]

Neil:Come on, guys, I don't think we should let this experience bring us down. I mean, what's so wrong with dirty clothes, anyway?

Rick:Yeah! You know what they say, "dirty pants, clean botty!"

[Close up on Mike, with ***several frames from "The End" of Carry On Cowboy edited in]

Mike:"Dirty duvet, dirty mind."

Vyvyan:My knickers are so old, it's only the stubborn understains that are holding them together!

Rick:Yeah, right on! One thing's for sure -- when Lenin led the revolution in Russia, no way did he do it with a spotless bott!

...but why is the clip there?

Quote: Tuumble @ December 28 2008, 12:00 AM GMT

Question that has always puzzled me...just before Motorhead comes on, there's a 2 second break which has 'The End' from what looks like the closing credits of a western movie. It doesn't seem to relate to the show in anyway so does anyone know why it's there?

Wasn't there a 'subliminal' message picture in every episode? But you can see them easily (obviously).

I also remember a dove.

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/The_Young_Ones_(TV_series)

'Episodes in the second series sometimes included "flash frames" (three frames, equivalent to 1/8 of a second), but these were edited out of some repeats. These were included as a mockery of the British and American public's fear of subliminal messages in television and music. Unlike original flash frames, which lasted only one frame, these were long enough to be noticeable without actually being identifiable. The images included the end caption of Carry On Cowboy, a rusty dripping tap, a leaping frog, a dove in flight, a skier, and a hand making pottery.'

Score!

Ah, The Young Ones.

Fave bits include a lorry load of fine food crashing into their living room.
A close-up of a talking matchbox that says 'Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.'
The ghost's head on the woman's lap and she starts farting.

I must watch some Young Ones.

I remember watching the episodes when originally broadcast, and they were a breath of fresh air. They were something different, and very funny. They still are, but ok, maybe don't mean so much to people who weren't around at the time of Thatch.

I disagree that these were the beginning of the BBC showing any old 'tosh'. They were anarchic slapstick, which the drinking & shagging trash of today is nothing like.

Quote: Sir Geoffrey Loftus @ January 31 2008, 3:15 AM GMT

If Peter Richardson had played Mike as intended the show would never have dated.

or what if the 2nd choice Ben Elton was allowed to play him (I know it is now a comedy troupe for the young whippersnappers . . . but, imagine a time when he was edgy and funny).

"I've got a porsche." Haha.

I never really liked Mike or Neil.

I love The Young Ones. Fave episode is definitely the University Challenge one - the bit with Neil and Rick on the train is hilarious! Did anyone get The Young Ones book? I think it's called 'Bachelor Boys' and it's some funny stuff!

Sacriledge! Blasphemy! Exclamation Points!

I can hardly believe my eyes, are people really dissing The Young Ones?! One of the most influential comedy shows to ever be broadcast, it was my generation's The Goon Show/Monty Python and turned comedy into the new rock and roll. MTV in America played it regularly, Rik Mayall appeared in Hollywood films off the back of it and it even spawned several hit singles. Can't really say that about Dad's Army or Only Fools, can you?

I'd be quite interested to know which comedy series in the last 30 years even comes close to being as consistenly funny or more original than The Young Ones.

Rant over, please change seats with the person on your left, thank you.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 28 2008, 3:32 PM GMT

MTV in America played it regularly, Rik Mayall appeared in Hollywood films off the back of it and it even spawned several hit singles. Can't really say that about Dad's Army or Only Fools, can you?

No, but I can say that they're funny.

Anyway. Interesting that you're gauging (well, making a specific comment/point about) the shows in regards to their offshoots and long-term effects/influence, rather than on, well, themselves.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 28 2008, 3:32 PM GMT

I'd be quite interested to know which comedy series in the last 30 years even comes close to being as consistenly funny or more original than The Young Ones.

Teenage Kicks.