The Young Ones Page 4

Apologies Aaron,

In my opinion The Young Ones has to be one of the funniest television sitcoms ever devised. (Except for Teenage Kicks obviously).

The reason I didn't mention this fact in my previous post has something to do with the head of the Catholic Church defacating in forested areas. (i.e. it's so apparently and self evidently funny that I shouldn't have to say that it's funny, cuz it's funny.) Plus other posters on this thread have already said that it's funny and I didn't want to sound redundant by saying 'The Young Ones is funny'.

I also likened TYO to the Goon Show and Monty Python, which may have been another cunning clue as to my opinion of the show's comedic value.

And it was funny.

The End

I don't like The Goon Show, but I love Python.

Prefer just the Rik and Vyvyan bits in The Young Ones, I think.

Quote: zooo @ December 28 2008, 11:07 PM GMT

How can you not have liked Neil? He was the best one on the show - had some of the most memorable moments.
"We sow the seed, nature grows the seed" etc.

He just annoyed me!! Bloody hippy.

Maybe if I'd seen it as an adult or something I wouldn't have hated him.
Vyvyan was cool, and Rik was all vulnerable and pathetic, but funny.

Quote: zooo @ December 28 2008, 11:49 PM GMT

He just annoyed me!! Bloody hippy.

Maybe if I'd seen it as an adult or something I wouldn't have hated him.

I think it's the other way round for me. I don't think I'd have liked him that much if I was this age. As a kid I nearly wet myself when he said 'if I had 1p for every time I answered the door I'd have £5.53', but I wouldn't laugh at that now. Well, a slight chuckle maybe!

*sings theme tune*

Quote: Leevil @ December 29 2008, 1:32 AM GMT

*sings theme tune*

I preferred the end credits music - that was ace!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EbybZ9mh6ac

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 28 2008, 10:51 PM GMT

Apologies Aaron,

In my opinion The Young Ones has to be one of the funniest television sitcoms ever devised. (Except for Teenage Kicks obviously).

The reason I didn't mention this fact in my previous post has something to do with the head of the Catholic Church defacating in forested areas. (i.e. it's so apparently and self evidently funny that I shouldn't have to say that it's funny, cuz it's funny.) Plus other posters on this thread have already said that it's funny and I didn't want to sound redundant by saying 'The Young Ones is funny'.

I also likened TYO to the Goon Show and Monty Python, which may have been another cunning clue as to my opinion of the show's comedic value.

And it was funny.

The End

No one questioned whether you thought the show was funny or not.

Quote: Tuumble @ December 28 2008, 12:00 AM GMT

I've just watched the Bambi episode of TYO on BBC2 tonight - right up there in my Top 20 all time sitcom episodes. So many stars in one show.

Yeah, that episode must be a contender for 'most famous guest stars in a single sitcom episode'... Fry & Laurie, Smith & Jones, Coltrane, Elton, Robinson and more all in the one episode!

http://www.chortle.co.uk/correspondents/2008/07/14/7057/once_in_every_lifetime%2C_comes_a_love_like_this...

Here be yer quote Aaron -

'No, but I can say that they're funny.

Anyway. Interesting that you're gauging (well, making a specific comment/point about) the shows in regards to their offshoots and long-term effects/influence, rather than on, well, themselves.'

How am I supposed to react to that comment? Hence my 'they were funny' diatribe. Normally, I don't react to a lot of criticisms levelled on this forum, as comedy is such a subjective matter and what is side splittingly good fun for one person is a day in hell for another.

However, I was a young teen when TYO's first appeared on the Telly (back in the days when there were only 4 channels) and it was nothing short of a revolution. Anarchy, satire, surrealism, slapstick, pantomime and 'balls out' swearing were all cobbled together under one roof for the first time and it blew my mind. 'It was a show made by young adults, for young adults and about young adults.' or words to that effect.

The fact that we're still discussing the show some twenty odd years later says something about it's enduring quality. It effected me in a way that Rising Damp, Dad's Army or Only Fools could not.

If you (not you specifically Aaron) are a younger person and can't understand all the fuss about the show, then fair enough, but don't slag it as you've been spoiled by the fruits of it's labours for the last twenty odd years. Just as all roads led to Rome, all the alternative, and now mainstream comedy that prevailed thereafter up until present day has been directly inspired by The Young Ones.

Gah! This happened to me on another internet forum when whipper snapping hoodies were slagging off the original Star Wars movies. I was trying to explain to them that there wouldn't have been a Matrix or Lord of the Rings without Star Wars, but they were having none of it, the brain dead numptys.

Sorry for getting so wound up over this topic, but TYO really was something special and I've yet to see a comedy show since that has matched the same intelligence and revolutionary spirit of The Young Ones.

My new year's resolution will be 'I will not overreact to comments on internet message boards'...should last about six hours.

I don't think anyone's disputing that it brought on (or at least was indicative of) somewhat of a 'revolution'! I'm just saying that, for me, personally, it's not funny. I can see that it would have been funny at the time, but IMO it just isn't now. That's all. :)

Damn your logic, reasoned argument and good humour Aaron! :)

Quote: zooo @ December 29 2008, 12:07 AM BST

There is definitely one Python reference. The family living in Neil's room remind me of the family from 'the worst family in Britain' sketch in Monty Python's Flying Circus.

I loved The Young Ones when it was on. It was the best thing since Not The Nine O'Clock News for me at the time.

It hasn't aged well at all, but If you watched it at the time you can let that pass.