Recorded For Training Purposes submissions for S4 Page 7

Oh, absolutely. But even if I've got several other projects on the go they'll always be that sense of waiting for closure on a submission to a specific place.

Just to let you know, I've just received the auto reply email confirming that my sketches are being looked at. I imagine that everyone should have got one by now.

Apparently 900 people sent 1400 sketches - so it looks like there's gonna be some competition and I'm not feeling confident.

Good luck to the BCG'ers who've entered.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 5 2009, 12:38 PM BST

Just to let you know, I've just received the auto reply email confirming that my sketches are being looked at. I imagine that everyone should have got one by now.

Apparently 900 people sent 1400 sketches - so it looks like there's gonna be some competition and I'm not feeling confident.

Good luck to the BCG'ers who've entered.

To put into some form of context I think they had 2000 last time so maybe the chances are better.

I just looked at my submission and I could've easily removed 4 lines of dialogue. Dang! Why didn't I spot that before?

I've just got the auto response back also.

Based on some simple maths which is all I can do; 20 sketches per episode, that's only 140 sketches required, just 10% of what's been sent in.

Good luck chaps and funny chapesses.

Mark.

Quote: Crusty427 @ October 5 2009, 1:00 PM BST

I've just got the auto response back also.

Based on some simple maths which is all I can do; 20 sketches per episode, that's only 140 sketches required, just 10% of what's been sent in.

Good luck chaps and funny chapesses.

Mark.

Also, if the show follows the format of last year, half of those sketches will be from core writers, meaning the odds are more like 1 in 20.

Cheers for urinating on my conflagration, Mark, you and your "simple maths". 10%? Pah! You just know that the bloody BBC will only pick the really hilarious sketches and the rest will end up languishing in some commissioning editor's Deleted Items folder until he can be fagged getting rid of it. Which means my sketch about British Rail sandwiches doesn't stand a chance in hell. Thanks a chuffing lot for ruining my week. Looks like it's back to writing for Jimmy Cricket then.

'the BBC will only pick the really hilarious sketches'

Now, we are deluding ourselves

I know they say they'll read everything, but how much dedication will they put into it? At best, they will find themselves getting jaded after reading the first few hundred scripts, because that's human nature. If they are anything less than fanatical, they might be tempted to skim through a few, if the first few lines aren't promising. I know I would. If they are anything like normal people, they will throw away 75% of the unsolicited scripts unread, and choose from the remainder. And if they are any worse than normal...who knows?

Looks like crappy odds.

Still, here's hoping my "Nagging Woman SatNav" sketch will make the cut!

I'm getting really worried now. I hope my sketch about the nagging women on the sat nav complaining about British Rail sandwiches makes it.

The sat nav sketch is a good idea. With the voice of Maureen Lipman perhaps?

Quote: R.J. @ October 5 2009, 2:41 PM BST

'the BBC will only pick the really hilarious sketches'

Could be a really short series or with extreeemely long pauses inserted for comic effect. ;)

I made a point of 'mentioning in passing' that I've some minor successes in my submission email to at least give some reason to read further. I guess it depends whether my email is attached to the .doc file.

Quote: David Bussell @ October 5 2009, 1:18 PM BST

Also, if the show follows the format of last year, half of those sketches will be from core writers, meaning the odds are more like 1 in 20.

Of course you stand more of a chance if like us you're funnier than a chimpanzee racist.

I wish you could paste pictures as a reply, you get some great images when you type in 'monkey Nazi' on Google images, none with typewriters though.

Quote: Crusty427 @ October 5 2009, 4:47 PM BST

I wish you could paste pictures as a reply, you get some great images when you type in 'monkey Nazi' on Google images, none with typewriters though.

You can put pictures in your reply. Just [image][/image] And put the picture address between the two.