Recorded For Training Purposes submissions for S4

It's back and asking for sketch submissions on the subject of communication.

There's a slightly amended brief this time, so make sure you read the details before submitting.

Only two sketches can be submitted.

No SatNav sketches.

Deadline October 2nd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opportunity/recorded_for_training_purposes1.shtml

Cheers - the link in the e-mail they sent me did not actually work. Do you think they are actively trying to discourage me? (I only sent in the one SatNav sketch!)

Quote: Timbo @ September 2 2009, 7:42 PM BST

Cheers - the link in the e-mail they sent me did not actually work. Do you think they are actively trying to discourage me? (I only sent in the one SatNav sketch!)

I just got a brick through the window with a note reading.

"RFTP is not for you, you unfunny fat bastard."

I always get Horne and Corden's mail.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ September 2 2009, 7:26 PM BST

It's back and asking for sketch submissions on the subject of communication.

How could a sketch possibly *not* be about communication?

I see they say "Not enough people know you can't really swear on Radio 4, even at 11pm". Presumably, they mean the strongest swearwords, and on lower-status shows, because in fact you will indeed hear swearing on radio4, at any time, depending on the circumstances.

Quote: sootyj @ September 2 2009, 7:48 PM BST

I just got a brick through the window with a note reading.

"RFTP is not for you, you unfunny fat bastard."

I always get Horne and Corden's mail.

You're lucky SootyJ!
Horne & Corden hand delivered my note.

Meeting them person and no gun to hand how awful is that?

Reading the brief I wonder if they haven't lost the plot a bit. If the focus is on the content of communication rather than on the method, then as Nogget suggests it is not really more about communication than any other sketch show. So instead we have six shows, each around a different theme, some of which strike me as being distinctly easier to write to than others, which with non-coms being limited to two sketches each, means that the spread of material across the six shows is likely to be very uneven, in terms of both quantity and quality.

As a non-com this redesign actually makes it quite difficult to know what tack to take. Do you go with your best two sketches, regardless of which of the six themes they fit? Or do you try a tactical approach? Perhaps submitting a sketch on a subject you struggled with, on the basis that if others were having the same problem they may have avoided the theme, reducing the competition.

Quote: Timbo @ September 2 2009, 10:02 PM BST

submit a sketch on a subject you struggled with, on the basis that if others were having the same problem they may have avoided the theme, reducing the competition.

:D

I think you're probably over-analysing.

I reckon they want similar stuff to last time but they've rewritten the brief in an attempt to get fewer idiots sending in sweary, crap sketches and definitely fewer sketches where a satnav either falls in love with its owner or goes all HAL9000 (I bet they had loads of both of those).

Quote: Afinkawan @ September 3 2009, 11:28 AM BST

I think you're probably over-analysing.

Possibly - I seem to have been a bit liverish yesterday.

Quote: Timbo @ September 2 2009, 10:02 PM BST

As a non-com this redesign actually makes it quite difficult to know what tack to take. Do you go with your best two sketches, regardless of which of the six themes they fit? Or do you try a tactical approach? Perhaps submitting a sketch on a subject you struggled with, on the basis that if others were having the same problem they may have avoided the theme, reducing the competition.

I have two slightly different themed sketches in mind to the six on that list, so I'm just going to send them and let them decide which box they go into, or more likely, which bin they go into...

Hehe -- they've got six themed bins -- that's what they meant! :)

Dan

Last time, I got fork all in.

Mind you, my entries were my first attempts at radio sketches and thus were a bit lame.

I've practiced a bit since then. :)

I have THREE suitable scripts. Now I've got to decide which one to reject.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ September 4 2009, 2:38 PM BST

I have THREE suitable scripts.

How many?!?! :O

sorry.

I have ---> three, not THREE :P