The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 639

Quote: George Kaplan @ 30th January 2016, 12:28 AM GMT

They should put this guy on Football Focus - would liven it up, no end.

The True Geordie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npCyd7RcXMA

NSFW!

If he's ditched the glasses, had a facelift, grown a beard and upped the Geordie accent, it's one of the better managers I worked to. The last I heard he was in charge of one of the UK's smaller airports but he was always very much on the edge.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 30th January 2016, 12:45 AM GMT

If he's ditched the glasses, had a facelift, grown a beard and upped the Geordie accent, it's one of the better managers I worked to.

The tattoo is probably the clincher. Well?

Quote: George Kaplan @ 30th January 2016, 2:45 PM GMT

The tattoo is probably the clincher. Well?

He didn't have a tattoo when I knew him George. But he was from that part of the world, similar sort of build, was sweary and crucially held his eyes up to the ceiling in the same way when he was thinking. A complete maverick who thought all of his managers were rubbish and said so. Consequently while he worked 153 hours a week and had an IQ of about 271 he was kept on the same grade. In a peculiar way, we got on quite well.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 30th January 2016, 10:27 PM GMT

... and crucially held his eyes up to the ceiling in the same way when he was thinking.

I noticed that too. Quite an odd mannerism.

A lot of you will be pleased but it looks like this will be Mr Terry's last season in the Premier League.

Quote: Chappers @ 31st January 2016, 11:11 PM GMT

A lot of you will be pleased but it looks like this will be Mr Terry's last season in the Premier League.

Oh dear! :S

If I was Emanuelle Pellegrini, I'd be disappointed. That is at hearing pundits describe all the success I had brought to my club before being ditched as "not so bad" and "pretty decent". You can't win even when you win today unless you are a mythical God from Bavaria. Pep Whatsit has probably never heard of the Hacienda.

Not just because it's Chelsea but I loved that matched yesterday where they slaughtered that other team.

Loved the "Wimbledon" chants of the Chelsea supporters.

Quote: Chappers @ 31st January 2016, 11:11 PM GMT

Yes, that. along with the 6th round draw against City, Pep off to the Ethiad and PSG in the next round of the Champions League rather took the edge off the MK win.
Still I've seen worse times.
:(

Quote: Lazzard @ 2nd February 2016, 10:50 AM GMT

Yes, that. along with the 6th round draw against City, Pep off to the Ethiad and PSG in the next round of the Champions League rather took the edge off the MK win.
Still I've seen worse times.
:(

Yes - several relegations. I also remember a certain other team's relegation in the early 1970s.

Whistling nnocently

As a Chelsea supporter I've always been Anti-Red and preferred the blues of Manchester City and Everton. However another blue team has shown to have tremendous fight, quality and skill. I do so hope Leicester win the league this season.

Is Claudio Ranieri an angel?

Quote: A Horseradish @ 4th February 2016, 11:07 PM GMT

Is Claudio Ranieri an angel?

Yes = and maybe returning to the Bridge in the Summer.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th February 2016, 11:21 PM GMT

Yes = and maybe returning to the Bridge in the Summer.

0-3.

He's a supernatural zen being mate.

It just wasn't obvious before this year. :D

Quote: A Horseradish @ 6th February 2016, 2:07 PM GMT

He's a supernatural zen being mate.

It just wasn't obvious before this year. :D

Looking back at my prediction last summer.

Ranieri at Leicester is intriguing. Neil Lennon would have been safer, more in the Mark Hughes mould.

I like Claudio, but not sure he's the right man at this point for a survival battle. Could see him at Everton, or Spurs, or possibly Swansea, or Southampton. He'll need to start well, or he'll be an early casualty.

At least my first sentence/statement was right. :)

Though Radish's "supernatural zen being" label is groovier. :D

EXCLUSIVE:

Vegans are Heading For the Football League

When it comes to thinking about the hot bed of football, the county of Gloucestershire doesn't readily spring to mind. However, its representation in the Football League is about to increase from zero to two. Cheltenham - from the town of international spies and in truth no stranger to league football - are currently top of the Conference and Forest Green Rovers are in second place many points above their nearest rivals. For those who would find it hard to place Forest Green, I can confirm that they are based in Nailsworth. As this is likely to add nothing to your general knowledge, I will add that Nailsworth is close to the Gloucestershire town of Stroud.

The club made headlines in 2011 when it introduced a ban on all red meat being sold at the club on health and ethical grounds. Then on 1 November 2014, it held the world's first vegan football match against Lincoln City. The event received support from Paul McCartney and Stella McCartney.On 30 October 2015 it officially launched as an all vegan club, presumably as a rainbow arced across its hallowed turf and local trees turned orange and purple.

At this point, the situation becomes more complicated. For anyone who is tempted to think that Forest Green are the sort of hippy loons that Cheltenham types have contrived to counter by fixing football match results in their own favour, Forest Green are known as the Green Army and - this is sinister - the Little Club on the Hill. Both these names in various ways imply that they are an Establishment mouthpiece concealed behind an array of eco-windmills. Meanwhile, Cheltenham who would be expected to play at the Fortress Ground or something similar are actually based at the implausibly named Stadium of the World of Smiles. Something is up with these two teams and as it may not be limited to saving baa lambs from the cleaver genuine football fans need to be told.

(from our own correspondent)