The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 548

Thank goodness for that. They were starting to get a bit cocky and above themselves. And yes - even as a Chelsea supporter I still wanted the bastards to lose with City on our tails.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th March 2014, 9:58 PM GMT

Thank goodness for that. They were starting to get a bit cocky and above themselves. And yes - even as a Chelsea supporter I still wanted the bastards to lose with City on our tails.

Yes I , too, was a little conflicted.
But after that first goal went, in I couldn't help but see the funny side.

We are going to rue that Aston Villa loss, I'm afraid.

Every time Man United seem to get a decent-ish win - after which everyone starts talking about then finally "turning the corner" - they then toss-off a performance which is utterly carp.

Interesting results this round of mid-week fixtures.

Opened the door for Everton to gallop for a Champs League spot.

I will score, I will !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NGLIECgzg4

Unfortunately, at the wrong end . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26764130

Stephen Ireland's undead grandmother has reached out from beyond the grave to ask Roy Keane to let her grandson back in the squad.

Immense brainiac Stephen Ireland didn't want to play a match, so he told the Irish FA that his grandmother died...when he got rumbled, he then said it was his other grandmother...which was also bullshit.

Roy seems a very loving and forgiving man, so I'm sure he'll put this 'grave concern' behind him and welcome Ireland back into the squad with open arms.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26762899

A good idea?

Yes. Anything that replaces rubbish friendlies is good for me. As for putting strain on players, even if they played 365 days a year they wouldn't be worth their wages...the poor loves.

I also want to see more yellow and red cards for simulation. If your tripped up and role eighteen times, you're off as far as I'm concerned. I've played football and received a few whacks. At no time did I go down like I was shut in a tumble drier on full spin. Girls!

Quote: roscoff @ 28th March 2014, 10:30 AM GMT

I also want to see more yellow and red cards for simulation.

Agreed. Also, players should get a card who are trying to influence the umpire's decision even in the most obvious and undisputed situations. I can't stand it when the ball surpasses the outline and both teams claim to have the throw-in. It happens every time...it's almost like a reflex. Ridiculous.

even if they played 365 days a year they wouldn't be worth their wages...the poor loves.

True.

Girls!

I suspect Man Utd will beat Aston Villa tomorrow, but the fans are starting to turn against Moyes. Even I've had enough. And I'm the most placid football fan I know.

Quote: Ben @ 28th March 2014, 12:47 PM GMT

I suspect Man Utd will beat Aston Villa tomorrow, but the fans are starting to turn against Moyes. Even I've had enough. And I'm the most placid football fan I know.

I know you Utd fans won't agree but for the rest of us it's quite refreshing when a minted club fall from grace because it gives the poorer clubs a chance to fill the void. Even though the league will be won by a rich list squad there may be an opening for a European placing.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 27th March 2014, 2:22 PM GMT

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26764130

Stephen Ireland's undead grandmother has reached out from beyond the grave to ask Roy Keane to let her grandson back in the squad.

Immense brainiac Stephen Ireland didn't want to play a match, so he told the Irish FA that his grandmother died...when he got rumbled, he then said it was his other grandmother...which was also bullshit.

Roy seems a very loving and forgiving man, so I'm sure he'll put this 'grave concern' behind him and welcome Ireland back into the squad with open arms.

I can't believe someone in the public eye would use an excuse that was so easily disprovable.

The man in the street could have got away with it maybe, but a Premier League footballer had no chance of faking a grandmother death.

Next time he doesn't want to play, he should just kill her himself. She's probably part of the reason he has to play for such a shower of shite international team anyway.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 27th March 2014, 5:40 PM GMT

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26762899

A good idea?

Not too sure, isn't this the football version of the power mad EU we're trying to leave now? Won't it make the world cup even more Euro dominated? And the clubs will hate it, they moan like mad over friendlies! Looks unfair both ways to me and wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen. I also like the idea of a 'friendly' in this over commercial and competitive age.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 29th March 2014, 6:45 AM GMT

Not too sure, isn't this the football version of the power mad EU we're trying to leave now? Won't it make the world cup even more Euro dominated? And the clubs will hate it, they moan like mad over friendlies! Looks unfair both ways to me and wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen. I also like the idea of a 'friendly' in this over commercial and competitive age.

The whole system needs to change, and international friendlies need to go.

Maybe some kind of on-going, 4-year league table between each World Cup, where every game contributes towards a league position.

Half-way, the top 'x' teams would compete for the Euro Championships, and two years later the top 'y' teams would be sent to the World Cup (with WC seedings decided by their league positions in these qualifiers). Reset the table after each World Cup.

Split the continent into two-tiers, so the likes of Andorra, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Scotland, Liechtenstein and Malta are not wasting the time of the proper countries, but with a relegation-promotion to give them something to aim for.

Make every game count.

Oh well. Chelsea did well again. Be useful if we had a striker.