Absent friends Page 107

Thanks, I'm always around.... just not posting. :) x

like God

Exactly the same.

Quote: sootyj @ 3rd April 2014, 4:09 PM BST

More and more of my friends aren't getting married and are just cohabiting, good for them it seems to make sense.

Not legally, it doesn't. If you are thinking of merging finances with someone then go get that bit of paper.

thats a bit forward Jennie I hardly know you

not everyone wants to merge finances and when they do, some are happy with the old registry jobby

I always thought gay marriage was the wrong route, commitment ceremonies for all and a big party later if you really want.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 3rd April 2014, 2:02 PM BST

Why do chicks get so stressed planning weddings? It's not like you're building a space shuttle or a new suspension bridge.

As a bloke, I'd have the whole thing knocked out in an afternoon - venue, sausage roles, Status Quo tribute band, stretch Hummer, done. ;)

I strongly believe sausages should be sausages. Anything else is confusing.

Quote: sootyj @ 3rd April 2014, 5:35 PM BST

not everyone wants to merge finances and when they do, some are happy with the old registry jobby

That's still 'getting married'.

I know

Quote: Badge @ 3rd April 2014, 6:04 PM BST

Depends what roles they're playing.

Quote: Badge @ 3rd April 2014, 6:04 PM BST

Laughing out loud

Though I can see what you mean - would you like a sausage roll could mean a myriad of things. A sausage in pastry, a sausage in a bread roll, playing the part of a sausage in an all sausage remake of Smokey and the Bandit.

No wonder Gordon struggles so much with the English language. ;)

EDIT: And me, just spotted I spelt rolls as roles. Me am a dumb face.

not everyone wants to merge finances

I think that is inevitable if you live with someone long term. My ex housemate and I had a rather heated exchange about the rightful ownership of a lasagne dish.

It gets worse if you have babies. Who gives up their job to look after them? If you are married then divorce, the court will make allowances for the fact that partner A was allowed to keep working because partner B stopped to provide child care. They will then insist that partner B gets some of partner A's income to reflect this.

If you are unmarried and Partner B, you're screwed.

Same with property. Partner A gets mortgage because they are earning and house is in their sole name. Partner B lives there 20 years, pays for bills, décor etc. They split up.

Married couple: 50% split.
Unmarried couple: 100% house to Partner A.

Marriage still pays.

thats some are happy with the old registry jobby

I always thought gay marriage was the wrong route, commitment ceremonies for all and a big party later if you really want.

As Zooolicious said, that is still getting married.

Quote: Jennie @ 3rd April 2014, 6:19 PM BST

Marriage still pays.

Two words: Prenuptial Agreement. That way if one of you is an intelligent, successful, ambitious, hard working wage earner and the other one does very little, then it will be a fair divorce.

Some people (all of them women) say this is unromantic and is almost predicting the break up of a marriage. Other people (mainly me) can point to how many marriages end in divorce and separation and also point out that taking out life insurance for your partner is no different.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 3rd April 2014, 6:23 PM BST

Two words: Prenuptial Agreement. That way if one of you is an intelligent, successful, ambitious, hard working wage earner and the other one does very little, then it will be a fair divorce.

Some people (all of them women) say this is unromantic and is almost predicting the break up of a marriage. Other people (mainly me) can point to how many marriages end in divorce and separation and also point out that taking out life insurance for your partner is no different.

Sadly still not legally binding in UK.

But I agree with you.

Well first of all not everyone wants to combine their finances.

Quote: Jennie @ 3rd April 2014, 6:25 PM BST

But I agree with you.

Again?! :O

Though why isn't it legally binding? Is it the way the law is laid out in this country or EU human rights or whatnots?