Absent friends Page 106

Quote: L.E. @ 3rd April 2014, 3:02 PM BST

I don't know, perhaps because there's a lot to be done for it all to be a lovely day for all... and as hopefully one of the most special moments for you to share with your friends and family, you perhaps want it to be a nice day which involves someone actually organising the day. Mental hey?

As long as you're keeping a sense of humour about the whole thing. Errr

This is such a girl thing, I've been to umpteenth weddings and I can't really remember one from the other, they all blur into one. Poofy dress, boring church ceremony, women in giant hats, waiting ages for food because the bride and groom are doing stuff, horrible wine, booze, embarrassing dancing, vomit, the end.

'Ooh, did you see the little flower displays on the tables?' Nope, passed me by completely. Next wedding I go to better be Star Wars themed or I'm giving up on the whole institution.

I'm guessing they're not doing it for you specifically. ;)

Quote: zooo @ 3rd April 2014, 3:56 PM BST

I'm guessing they're not doing it for you specifically. ;)

Selfish gits.

I think what I'm trying to say is that don't stress about it. At least not as far as the blokes are concerned, we find weddings unbelievably tedious. Just do stuff that other women notice, because that's where the pressure comes from - a bitching damage limitation exercise.

EG. Bridesmaids Outfits

Woman: 'Did you see what the bridesmaid were wearing? So disgusting and tacky'.

Man: 'I saw that one with the big charlies'.

More and more of my friends aren't getting married and are just cohabiting, good for them it seems to make sense.

Weddings used to have a great deal of significance and now they seem to be a great way of spending huge amounts of money, for well spending huge amounts of money.

I mean if you've got it great, but if you put off buying a home becausethat's what you spent the mortgage deposit on, getting into debt or even divorcing because in part the wedding wasn't right.

It's dodgy, yet another ritual that's all about narcissism, spending and very little to do with much of it's original values.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 3rd April 2014, 4:02 PM BST

I think what I'm trying to say is that don't stress about it.

I know what you're trying to say, but you've got to understand, organising any event is stressful. I'm not a "detail" person... but even the big things take negotiation, several quotes, confirmations, second confirmations. These all take up time, and when you've got a busy job, it's stressful.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 3rd April 2014, 4:02 PM BST

Selfish gits.

I think what I'm trying to say is that don't stress about it. At least not as far as the blokes are concerned, we find weddings unbelievably tedious. Just do stuff that other women notice, because that's where the pressure comes from - a bitching damage limitation exercise.

EG. Bridesmaids Outfits why didn't I get to wear one

Woman: 'Did you see what the bridesmaid Renegade was wearing? So disgusting and tacky'.

Man: 'the one that' the big charlie'.

I think you'd be beautiful

Quote: L.E. @ 3rd April 2014, 4:10 PM BST

I know what you're trying to say, but you've got to understand, organising any event is stressful. I'm not a "detail" person... but even the big things take negotiation, several quotes, confirmations, second confirmations. These all take up time, and when you've got a busy job, it's stressful.

Then the best thing you can do is be massively selfish about the whole thing. Get what you want out of the day and not worry about anyone else. If people show, don't show, venues fall through, the Elvis impersonator drops out or whatever, is it really that important?

Don't let the frippery distract you from the main purpose of the day - everyone saying how pretty you look in your fairy princess dress. ;)

Quote: sootyj @ 3rd April 2014, 4:12 PM BST

I think you'd be beautiful

Oh you. :$

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 3rd April 2014, 4:31 PM BST

Don't let the frippery distract you from the main purpose of the day - everyone saying how pretty you look in your fairy princess dress. ;)

Damn right.

and the bridesmaids should look hideous so you look even more beautiful

that and the wedding speeches, they're what it's all about

if only you could find a super duper wedding speech writer

Haha - I won't be making a speech... and Mr L.E. is pretty amazing at public speaking. But thanks Joel.

was I offering my services

Quote: L.E. @ 3rd April 2014, 4:45 PM BST

Mr L.E. is pretty amazing at public speaking.

Mr. L.E.? Wow, how retro, gay weddings are all the rage these days. Puh-leeeeze.

Quote: sootyj @ 3rd April 2014, 4:49 PM BST

was I offering my services

You were a micro second away from screen printing a web link on L.E.'s wedding dress.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 3rd April 2014, 4:51 PM BST

Mr. L.E.? Wow, how retro, gay weddings are all the rage these days. Puh-leeeeze.

I was referring to the other half... silly.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 3rd April 2014, 4:51 PM BST

You were a micro second away from screen printing a web link on L.E.'s wedding dress.

It's a lot better than what you printed on the last wedding dress you got your hands on.

Quote: L.E. @ 3rd April 2014, 4:53 PM BST

I was referring to the other half... silly.

Like you're the fem one. ;)

In case you disappear again off for months at a time, have a great wedding. xx