The Weather Page 196

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th July 2022, 11:19 AM

What a difference a day makes....

As Express readers have the memory of goldfish, they don't notice these contradictions.

Their aim is to sell newspapers in light of their diminishing sales.
Headlines are not doctorates. They are selling points.

Quote: alison blunderland @ 19th July 2022, 12:05 PM

As the heatwave was approaching, the tabloid media were screaming 'Thousands will die!"
With the heatwave now in full swing and temperatures in Britain already at record or near-record levels, we read, 'Death toll hits 12'.
It's almost as if we can't believe everything the papers tell us is going to happen. :O

Just like the Brexit scare stories!

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd July 2022, 8:11 PM

Just like the Brexit scare stories!

What? You mean real, then?

Interestingly, on the back of several severe winters over the previous decade or two and some particularly miserable summers, the cover of the Radio Times covering the period 16/11/74 - 22/11/74, showed the planet capped by a huge ice sheet, beneath the headline "the ice age cometh".

It was promoting a two hour programme called The Weather Machine to be shown on BBC2 on Wednesday 20 November 1974, following on from George Hamilton IV and other Folk and then David Frost interviewing black civil rights activist Angela Davis, On BBC1 at the same time was Sportsnight showing the final of the Greyhound TV Trophy Final live from the White City, with a film about Red Rum (and he'd only won two Grand Nationals at that time) and a chance to win E200 in Premium Bonds in a competition featuring the best goalkeeping saves of 1974

An article inside the Radio Times showed London trapped in an "icy tomb" while the programme itself, presented by Magnus Magnusson and Eric Porter, warned of the threat of ice and the obliteration of northern lands - "including Britain", producing charts and pictures indicating that the South of France would be like Finland, Scotland would look like Greenland, there would be glaciers in California and much of Europe would be a dusty, bitterly cold desert.

TV reviewer, Martin Jackson, concluded in the following day's paper: "Those hot balmy English summers of our youth are unlikely to return".

40 degrees centigrade anybody?

The daft thing was it wasn't even believed by the majority of climate scientists at the time.
A few outliers thought that 'dirty' air, caused by pollution would lead to a weakening of the suns effect on the planet, and subsequent cooling.
Everyone could see air pollution (particularly then) so I guess it was an easy theory to believe.

It's an unwinnable argument - for both sides.

Nobody doubts it is getting warmer. Stats don't lie.
But paid to find something scientists - open for debate (or not)

I seriously don't know if it's true or not and that seems to enrage people.
And why does nobody dare mention China and other industrial countries pumping out billions of tons of carbon a year.
Save the planet is becoming a mantra for certain types.

It is not raining here, also

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st August 2022, 10:48 AM

It's an unwinnable argument - for both sides.

Nobody doubts it is getting warmer. Stats don't lie.
But paid to find something scientists - open for debate (or not)

I seriously don't know if it's true or not and that seems to enrage people.
And why does nobody dare mention China and other industrial countries pumping out billions of tons of carbon a year.
Save the planet is becoming a mantra for certain types.

99% of scientist and scientific papers agree on the fact that global warming is man-made.
So the argument has been won.
And it doesn't matter whether you think it true or not, so I don't see how it could enrage people.
(Apart from the fact that you are giving credence to arguments that are then used & manipulated by people whose motives are less than pure.)
And I'm not sure "nobody dare mention" China's output - politicians are constantly in discussion with each other.
They signed all sorts of agreements - not as many or as far-reaching as they should, granted.
And, anyway, what has that got to do with how we behave and what we do?
The thing with China is its a big place and there'a lot of them.
Per head, the US produce twice as much greenhouse gas as China.
And who are these "certain types" with their "mantra"?
I would have thought we all want to keep the planet in as good as nick as possible.

As I said - the same argument every time.

The science. Because they have always been right.

99% of scientist and scientific papers agree on the fact that global warming is man-made.
So the argument has been won.

If scientists were given a massive grant to find monkeys were still slowly evolving into humans, there would be papers to prove it.

What about the censored scientists? There are many.

In general, I think it's a bit rich to think humans can control the climate. Nature is far more powerful and has been for billions of years (except for the last 10)

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st August 2022, 11:42 AM

In general, I think it's a bit rich to think humans can control the climate. Nature is far more powerful and has been for billions of years (except for the last 10)

This is a less waffly version of what I was trying to say. I'd still love us to improve the air quality we breathe though, so keep up the measures to reduce pollution definitely. Will it change Nature's course whatever it happens to be? Will it f**k.

The science. Because they have always been right.

If scientists were given a massive grant to find monkeys were still slowly evolving into humans, there would be papers to prove it.

Oooh! Censored scientists!

It was the same during covid.

Unlike Donovan of old, rain came softly through my window today.

I wish it would here in the East. Supposed to this afternoon, with a bloody good storm, which I love, but may dissuade me from standing in the pouring rain, which I said I would do - the air is so thick, you could cut it with a butter knife.