The Weather Page 200

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th November 2023, 8:19 AM

What's woke about snow? Those bastard lefties at it again?!

Brilliant. Apparently 2023 has been the hottest on record.

Rained buckets for the last 100 miles of my 750-mile drive last night. Scary conditions, but I'm getting ready to do another 500 miles. Hopefully the weather will improve.

I'd like to see where this November was in the rainfall records for UK, as even though it's a traditionally soggy month, I saw several field lakes and encountered a lot of road closures on my roving work routes. Love the rain myself, the only time I curse getting wet is when the temperature plummets, as it just has. Gets uncomfortably claggy in the damp zeroish temps here.

Quote: DaButt @ 3rd December 2023, 11:12 AM

Rained buckets for the last 100 miles of my 750-mile drive last night. Scary conditions, but I'm getting ready to do another 500 miles. Hopefully the weather will improve.

Were they out of milk at your nearest shop then?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 3rd December 2023, 12:21 PM

Were they out of milk at your nearest shop then?

:)
I drove 2700 miles (to Florida and back) between Saturday and Tuesday afternoon. I'll probably have nightmares about 18-wheelers tonight.

I really don't know how you do it - all that mileage!!

In other news..................severe frost here this morning

Aye, same here. I took my dog out at 6 and it was that cold me scrotum looked like a corduroy cap.

[quote name="Hercules Grytpype Thynne" post="1275361" date="6th December 2023, 6:30 AM"]I really don't know how you do it - all that mileage!!
/quote]
You'd have to take a mortgage out to pay for the petrol for that here.

A very mild to cool summer and now a cold early December. Does that equal global warming? I've noticed in the news they're saying 'climate change' more instead now. Maybe meteorological movement would be a mor apt. description of what's happening at the mo.

Or even closer, a natural heating and cooling cycle, dependent on many factors - not just one.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 6th December 2023, 7:00 AM

Aye, same here. I took my dog out at 6 and it was that cold me scrotum looked like a corduroy cap.

Well the last time you showed it to me in the cold weather it looked like a pair of pickled walnuts

Get a warm room lads,

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 6th December 2023, 7:08 AM

You'd have to take a mortgage out to pay for the petrol for that here.

For a gallon, I paid between $2.36 (49.4p per liter) and $3.19 (66.8p per liter). It was much more expensive in Florida than it was in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. My vehicles averaged about 35 miles per gallon, so I spent about $200 on fuel.

Speaking of the weather, Sunday it was 90F (32.2C) at my parents' town in Florida. Today they're having their coldest day in recent months - 56F (13.3C).

In San Antonio, it's 46F (7.8C) as the sun rises. It'll top out at 70F (21.1C).

Well I don't know the rate in $ but I pay about £85 for a tank of diesel which does just over 500 miles so a trip of that distance here would have cost me about £450. And that's for a cheaper fuel than you used.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th December 2023, 8:36 AM

Well I don't know the rate in $ but I pay about £85 for a tank of diesel which does just over 500 miles so a trip of that distance here would have cost me about £450. And that's for a cheaper fuel than you used.

Diesel is actually 25%-30% more expensive than gasoline here. It wasn't always that way, but I think additional taxes and pollution-control measures have pushed up the price.

Diesel autos are relatively scarce in this country. Large diesel pickup trucks are common, and 18-wheelers are the biggest consumers of diesel.

A moan about the dodgy forecasts again. Tuesday morning, I remember to check the online forecast for the area after getting soaked several times in the last two months and still drying off so called waterproofs. It said rainy morning but clearing up and becoming sunny by mid afternoon.

It was a rainy morning alright, pissed down heavily non stop. Had to limit the amount of time I was outside but the work to do was mounting up. Should be okay for the afternoon I thought, dry and sunny it said. It kept on raining all day and by 2pm I had the headlights on, it was one of the darkest days I recall seeing. Went home drenched to the skin, with another saturated coat out of use for the week and got all wet again yesterday from the soaked car seat. Bastards!

Is Michael Fish still secretly writing the weather forecasts?