The Weather Page 199

You should stick to Tomasz Schafernaker. He'll never steer you wrong.

It was 99F/37C when I left my office at 10 PM last night. Ridiculous.

Quote: zooo @ 9th September 2023, 4:35 PM

You should stick to Tomasz Schafernaker. He'll never steer you wrong.

Long range forecasts are always wrong, no matter who is standing in front of the weather map - I don't know why they bother.

Have they brought them back? I understood the met office stopped doing them in a huff when they got it very wrong a few years back, some berk smugly said on TV we're going to have a barbecue summer and it did nothing but rain. That twat should have been barbecued live on TV. The met office are useless as the met police.

Quote: DaButt @ 9th September 2023, 5:16 PM

It was 99F/37C when I left my office at 10 PM last night. Ridiculous.

Is it in your contract to work till 10 on a Friday night or had your air conditioning gone down at home? On the temperature thing, is that a dry 99F there or humid and sticky, because there is a hell of a difference, our current mid to late 80s is so energy sapping even in the shade because of the high humidity, Britain is essentially a tropical island in the heat due to the high water content.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 10th September 2023, 8:12 AM

Have they brought them back? I understood the met office stopped doing them in a huff when they got it very wrong a few years back, some berk smugly said on TV we're going to have a barbecue summer and it did nothing but rain. That twat should have been barbecued live on TV. The met office are useless as the met police.

Well, wherever I look it's a forecast "for the next five days" - just stick to today and maybe tomorrow will yer, if you insist!!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th September 2023, 12:34 AM

Long range forecasts are always wrong, no matter who is standing in front of the weather map - I don't know why they bother.

And yet they can tell us what it's going to be like in a few hundred years' time.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 10th September 2023, 10:19 AM

And yet they can tell us what it's going to be like in a few hundred years' time.

We'll all be toast, apparently - not that any of us care or be around to see

French toast first - they're closer to the equator than we are.

It's effin' hot here in Suffolk!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 10th September 2023, 8:36 AM

Is it in your contract to work till 10 on a Friday night or had your air conditioning gone down at home?

I work at a facility that does 24/7/365 operations, and my work schedule is 1400-2200, Tuesday through Saturday.

I have two sizeable central heating/cooling units at home: one upstairs and one downstairs. One of the outside fans is making a racket, and I'm dreading a $6000 replacement in the near future.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 10th September 2023, 8:36 AM

On the temperature thing, is that a dry 99F there or humid and sticky, because there is a hell of a difference, our current mid to late 80s is so energy sapping even in the shade because of the high humidity

Growing up in southern Florida, I consider it fairly dry most of the time, but locals think it's very humid. But even when it's bone-dry, 105F is like sitting in an oven, and it makes outdoor work almost unbearable. It's getting worse as I get older. Thank you, God, for inventing the air conditioner.

Quote: DaButt @ 10th September 2023, 4:30 PM

I work at a facility that does 24/7/365 operations, and my work schedule is 1400-2200, Tuesday through Saturday.

Ah I see, when you said office, I thought that was unusual, but I assume you're in more of a control and command office that runs all the automation. Shifts are tough but at least it's not the night shift. Done 4x13hr nights in past, exhausting and dominates your life.

Quote: DaButt @ 10th September 2023, 4:30 PM

I
Growing up in southern Florida, I consider it fairly dry most of the time, but locals think it's very humid. But even when it's bone-dry, 105F is like sitting in an oven, and it makes outdoor work almost unbearable. It's getting worse as I get older. Thank you, God, for inventing the air conditioner.

Yeah I thought it might be a touch, just one state along from Louisiana which is notoriously humid swampland like the panhandle of Florida/the Everglades. I don't think it's that bad here, at least not as much of the time.

Air conditioners here are almost exclusively workplace and public building situated unlike in many of the States. Maybe they'll take off here domestically with global warming on the rise.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 10th September 2023, 7:40 PM

Ah I see, when you said office, I thought that was unusual, but I assume you're in more of a control and command office that runs all the automation. Shifts are tough but at least it's not the night shift. Done 4x13hr nights in past, exhausting and dominates your life.

I work in a large military facility that has people buzzing around at all hours. We all do what's asked of us. :)

I worked 12-hour night shifts for much of my life, and you're right about the impact on one's well-being. I'd consider 10-hour shifts to be the perfect compromise.

A
Yeah I thought it might be a touch, just one state along from Louisiana which is notoriously humid swampland like the panhandle of Florida/the Everglades.

Houston (still Texas, but right next to Louisiana) is almost as hot and humid as Florida. The panhandle of Florida is the coolest and most non-Florida-like part of the state (it even has hills!) but south Florida and the Everglades are a different thing entirely. Bugs, snakes, gators, sweat, and retirees...

Air conditioners here are almost exclusively workplace and public building situated unlike in many of the States.

Very few parts of the country don't have air conditioning - probably not more than 5% of the population. It gets hot as hell just about everywhere.

Woke up to snow-covered roads this morning.
Did the weather people tell us this would happen - no.

They are telling me now it might snow again today. So I presume it won't.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 30th November 2023, 7:33 AM

Woke up to snow-covered roads this morning.

What's woke about snow? Those bastard lefties at it again?!