Parks and Recreation Page 9

Quote: Vince Ives @ May 11 2013, 11:07 PM BST

It seems bizarre to single April out as a character who's shoehorned in when Rashida Jones basically has no real reason to be there until somewhere near the end of season 3.

The story behind April's casting is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTn3BIPhMRs

Anne drives the plot. Agree she's not particularly funny (which would be better), but she leads to things happening and conflict between others.

In series 1 & 2, April on the other hand is completely superfluous to every plot and never has the best lines in the sketch. I can't see that any editor/producer would read that script and not put the red pen through her character. When you read the background the show runners say they loved Aubrey Plaza as an actress so decided she had to be in the show somehow. It's like that rule about not leaving in your favourite gag if it doesn't advance the plot or define vital characters. Again, the red pen comes out (I bet they'd have edited her out of the script if someone else gave it to her).

Aubrey Plaza does a great job on the character, so good to hear they have made her character more central. That's what they should have done in the first place.

As I say, I love the show, I just found it a shame that time was wasted vs the best characters who made me laugh and were in some way important to the episodes.

Time with April is never wasted time.

Joking aside, it's a large ensemble, and they all grow and grow. Apart from the one who gets ditched. And then two other great characters show up, as if they're weren't enough people in this show already.

Chris Traeger is funny.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 12 2013, 2:43 AM BST

The bad stuff is I think it's a blatant copy of The Office, contrived in every plotline and completely manufactured looking.

It's not a copy of The Office as the creators (Greg Daniels and Michael Schur) were also the makers and producers of The Office, so it is rather a spinoff that's shot in the same style, but certainly not a ripoff.

Or a spinoff

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 12 2013, 12:10 AM BST

Joking aside, it's a large ensemble, and they all grow and grow. Apart from the one who gets ditched. And then two other great characters show up, as if they're weren't enough people in this show already.

2 new great characters - let's hope BBC2 keeps blitzing through the series so I can catch up!

One of the most interesting aspects of Parks is that the relationship at the heart of it, between Lesley Knoepe and Ron Swanson, echoes almost exactly the relationship between Liz Lemon and Jack Donaghy in 30 Rock. Independent but slightly ditzy woman and older paternalistic right-wing male.

For what it's worth, as I approach the end of S2 I think the April/Andy relationship is now one of the funniest things about the show. Well done those writers, who I'm sure care a lot about what I think. Ron Swanson is also my favourite current TV character.

Rob Lowe was a surprisingly good addition to the cast. He's come a long way since his sex tape scandal.

I'm nearly half way through season 5 now and it's becoming quite hard to watch. It's thoroughly predictable and characters like Ron and Tom have lost any edge they had. The show has also become overly sweet. I know it had a soft core throughout but now it's just too much. Rob Lowe's character has become a one dimensional wretch too. It's sad that such a clever show has turned into this.

Just watching these for the second time as there's nothing much else on at the minute
Just getting to the end of season 2, it's fun seeing April & Andy's flirtation knowing what's coming up.

That's one of the highlights of Parks and Rec for me, April and Andy's relationship. Andy went from a totally annoying character as Ann's lazy, couchpotato, gamer, band rocker to a funny, lovable, band rocker and fake FBI agent.

April's character took a change too with the relationship and was given a lot more screen time which she shines in with her funny one liners.

I thought they rushed in by getting them where they took them that fast, but they didn't and it all works out well.

Parks and Rec is such a fun show. More people need to give it a watch.

The season premier 1 hour long episode in London was really good.

I enjoyed it thoroughly, but I love the show so hard I am no longer impartial.