Parks and Recreation Page 7

Shurrup.

Anyway, I thought this was good stuff. Despite being only 20 minutes long. Silly old Americans.

Quote: zooo @ March 7 2013, 10:49 AM GMT

Shurrup.

Anyway, I thought this was good stuff. Despite being only 20 minutes long. Silly old Americans.

I love that American's can cram so much great comedy into twenty minutes.

Yeah, they never feel 20 minutes. I don't know how they do it.

So last night's double bill on the Beeb was the first 2 episodes of season one? The pit into a park storyline.

Thought it was great.

Presumably it must have influenced TWENTY TWELVE to some degree.

Quote: George Kaplan @ March 7 2013, 1:56 PM GMT

Presumably it must have influenced TWENTY TWELVE to some degree.

If it did, they forgot to keep the humour and great characters.

On watching the opening two again, I'm surprised I wasn't pulled in immediately, because although the characters aren't what they will be yet, it was still a great watch.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 7 2013, 1:59 PM GMT

If it did, they forgot to keep the humour and great characters.

I liked the first series of TWENTY TWELVE best. It seemed more subtle and understated, but they probably aimed for and got a bigger audience by making it broader.

I liked this show, I think it's quite sweet and pleasant. I hope it grows into the flower that Stott promises, because if it doesn't! *shakes fist*

I've almost got to the end of the second series and I'm a bit bored. It's starting to feel like US mockumentary by numbers. There's a good joke or two per episode but the comedy/drama weighting is unbalanced because I don't care about most of these characters. I think Aziz Ansari and Chris Pratt are probably the best things about it, because they play such silly and non-dramatic characters (really well).

Quote: MCharsley @ March 26 2013, 10:04 AM GMT

I've almost got to the end of the second series and I'm a bit bored. It's starting to feel like US mockumentary by numbers. There's a good joke or two per episode but the comedy/drama weighting is unbalanced because I don't care about most of these characters. I think Aziz Ansari and Chris Pratt are probably the best things about it, because they play such silly and non-dramatic characters (really well).

Get out. Angry

Looking forward to seeing the second series, which I understand has a slightly rejigged Lesley Knoepe.

Quote: chipolata @ March 26 2013, 10:29 AM GMT

Looking forward to seeing the second series, which I understand has a slightly rejigged Lesley Knoepe.

And Andy especially. Plus some characters vanish and new ones arrive.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 26 2013, 10:27 AM GMT

Get out. Angry

Yeah, sorry. I did want to like it, and I do like it in parts, but I can just see mucky fingerprints all over it. Its internal logic is sloppy, and that's okay if it's really silly and funny, but not when it's pretending to be a documentary about a parks and recreation department, and simultaneously trying to weave in a lot of drama. Ann's a problem because (so far...) she offers nothing and she's there for no reason, both in comedic terms and in logical ones. I get bored every time she's on screen. It just doesn't ring true to me.

Is season 3 any better?

Much like Modern Family, or The American Office, I don't really look too closely at the documentary trappings, as if you do it doesn't make any sense. Anne is definitely a weak character.

I'd say if you got to the end of Season 2 and you don't like it, you're not going to be turned by carrying on, really.

Quote: MCharsley @ March 27 2013, 12:05 PM GMT

Yeah, sorry. I did want to like it, and I do like it in parts, but I can just see mucky fingerprints all over it. Its internal logic is sloppy, and that's okay if it's really silly and funny, but not when it's pretending to be a documentary about a parks and recreation department, and simultaneously trying to weave in a lot of drama. Ann's a problem because (so far...) she offers nothing and she's there for no reason, both in comedic terms and in logical ones. I get bored every time she's on screen. It just doesn't ring true to me.

Is season 3 any better?

The man said get out.

Ha.

Alright, I'm moving on to Community next, which I'm told is brilliant.