Parks and Recreation Page 10

Season 5 coming to Netflix on Tuesday I think.
Looking forward to that

The new season's premier went by so swiftly at such an enjoyable clip that I had to ask myself, "why is this show confined to a half hour". That's when I realised I have an addictive personality.

I burned through every episode of this over the last week or two.

My only problem with it (after the first season) is that given what we know about Ben, he should really say something about Ron Swanson's relationship with Toaster Number Three. He's a sci-fi expert. Seeing a woman who looks like Lucy Lawless should imbue some kind of response. Because realism.

Nice to have it back again on BBC4 (Weds). The opening episode for season 3, a couple of weeks ago, was poor, but the Flu ep. directly after was a classic, and last week's Ron & Tammy ep was great too.

Anyone who judged the series on that opening ep should definitely give it another try.

Quote: JaPi @ 2nd February 2014, 7:18 PM GMT

I burned through every episode of this over the last week or two.

My only problem with it (after the first season) is that given what we know about Ben, he should really say something about Ron Swanson's relationship with Toaster Number Three. He's a sci-fi expert. Seeing a woman who looks like Lucy Lawless should imbue some kind of response. Because realism.

Isn't this a problem with most modern US sitcoms? The team written thing and long series runs often mean they just slot in an episode plot without checking on series backstory or the characters' appropriate reactions. I rarely watched this or the US Office but they made these mistakes whenever I did.

Compare these with Dad's Army or OFAH, long runners that never looked artificial or manufactured, certainly not before the final episodes when both sitcoms looked tired. OFAH is probably the antithesis of the US sitcom because it has so much soul. P&R is a kitform franchise, the opposite of my kind of thing, can't stand it.

If Ben was to go "OMG IT'S XENA" then you have to apply to that every guest star on the show and their most well known roles. She's not cast as Lucy Lawless, why would any character (nerdy or not), react to her as such? Loads of famous people have been on, you can't have Leslie saying "gosh, that policeman looks widely-known comedian Louis CK!", it'd just be bizarre.

Also Alfred? We get it, you don't like room-written shows. It's fine.

I was speaking tongue in cheek, but I do think there's a difference between having famous people on the show, and having a character who is infatuated with all things sci-fi not having any kind of reaction to a lookalike of xena warrior princess/no.3 from Battlestar G. Abed would f**king say something.

Would he? What, like "Oh hey, it's Mike from Breaking Bad"?

Quote: Vince Ives @ 1st March 2014, 1:50 PM GMT

Would he? What, like "Oh hey, it's Mike from Breaking Bad"?

Abed knows, man. Abed knows.

Ep. 5 (BBC4), Tom to Ben: "You embarrassed me in front of the Douche!" Laughing out loud

Ep. 14, "Road Trip", last week on BBC4, best Rob Lowe moment so far in the series when he starts grooving to the banjo music in the back of the car.

Ron Swanson is a jewel of a character - becoming one of my all time favourite comedy roles/performances.

Huge fan of Parks and Recreation and I'm not often a fan of American shows

What a show. It has faded slightly in the last couple of seasons, and will be negatively affected by the loss of Rob Lowe, but it has some of the best characters in recent years. Ron Swanson is a magnificent creation. As was Rob Lowe's character.

Six flawless episodes so far this season. Episode 4 was particularly great.

Quote: Vince Ives @ 28th January 2015, 1:17 PM GMT

Six flawless episodes so far this season. Episode 4 was particularly great.

I think the first few episodes were very poor. It very much has the "we're all superstars now and we can't wait to be done with this show" vibe.

Last night's episodes were a little better.