Al Murray's Multiple Personality Disorder Page 3

It was good but I reckon there is no way it would have got commissioned if it wasn't due to Al Murray's succees as the Pub Landlord.

Quote: Lee Henman @ February 28 2009, 10:07 PM GMT

Hmmm...a few trendy comedy-types have got their knickers in a twist about this, calling it "out-dated" and suchlike. I say bollocks. It's refreshing to see a bit of silly, irony-free, non-dark character comedy back on TV again. I sincerely hope it'll be a hit, just to piss all the trendies off.

Its ratings stunk, 1.92m. So glad Not Going Out beat it by a big margin, 3.19m, surely that is a positive! The BBC should definitely give NGO a fourth series.

I don't think its necessarily about the show being 'outdated', just that it has been done so many times before, it isn't original in any way shape or form.

I missed it, but shall watch the repeat tomorrow night on ITV at 22:35. (Info provided by https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/al_murray_multiple_personality/)

I'll try to catch the repeat. IMO, ITV were really stupid to put AMPD & Moving Wallpaper up against QI & Not Going Out.

The idiot schedulers are always at it, putting on two similar shows at the same time on different channels.

On a Friday night, I can understand the need to compete, but the BBC have decided to put Heroes up against 24 on a Monday night, that does wind me up, especially considering the Beeb doesn't need the advertising revenue.

Quote: James Harris @ March 1 2009, 3:12 PM GMT

Wave

Wave
Yes it was our own Mr Harris, cosying up to some sexy blonde bi-atch on a risible SCS Sofa in the ad break. I laughed lots and lots.

Shameless indeed, you naughty sausage. How much did you get paid for that you f**ker? Your round next at the pub, I fancy.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Martin Holmes @ March 1 2009, 7:43 PM GMT

I don't think its necessarily about the show being 'outdated', just that it has been done so many times before, it isn't original in any way shape or form.

Originality is overrated. ;)

Quote: hotzappa11 @ March 1 2009, 10:46 PM GMT

I'll try to catch the repeat. IMO, ITV were really stupid to put AMPD & Moving Wallpaper up against QI & Not Going Out.

Must say I disagree - Not Going Out has loyal followers, and a nice repeat slot on Tuesday evenings, and with QI XL on Saturday nights, I'm surprised anyone watches the standard show on Fridays anymore.

Quote: Lee Henman @ March 2 2009, 2:05 AM GMT

Definitely.

I thought there were more hits than misses in this show. Will watch on. A few characters have been done before but there were some smart sketches so that's pleasing. Something different to what's on at the moment.

Just saw the repeat.

Al's obviously encountered the same mobile phone shop staff I mentioned back in the 1899 thread "What's the worst job you had" in response to Ellie.

Also the Sutton, Wallington and Guildford Coal Company is just down the road.

And I agree about Jennie Eclair. I think she's great.

I quite liked this. It was more hit than miss, so I'll watch the next episode.

Highlights for me were:

Ray Winstone as Gandhi
The blowtorch fella
The airline pilot
The one with Jenny Eclair

Quote: Aaron @ February 28 2009, 3:11 PM GMT

And how weak they are in comparison? ;)

No, it made me think how out-dated and derivative it was.
I like his pub landlord character and had hoped for better with this. Everything he did has been done before and some of his characters would have made even Dick Emery wince.

Quote: Lee Henman @ March 2 2009, 2:05 AM GMT

Can't agree with that at all. People should strive to be original, especially in a profession like comedy or writing in general. I can't imagine wanting to get in to the profession to simply do something that has been done many times over. I think that must be disheartening for a writer.

I'm not saying that everything you write should be totally new and never seen before, that is becoming increasingly impossible these days. But if you are taking a well known forumla it's best to add your own unique twist to it. Simply repeating what many others have done before you is unappealing not only to the viewer but I'd think the writer/perfomer too.

In the current climate originality is definitely underrated.

Quote: Ian G @ March 3 2009, 8:35 PM GMT

No, it made me think how out-dated and derivative it was.
I like his pub landlord character and had hoped for better with this. Everything he did has been done before and some of his characters would have made even Dick Emery wince.

Don't be dissin' the Dick. Angry

Quote: Martin Holmes @ March 3 2009, 8:53 PM GMT

Can't agree with that at all. People should strive to be original, especially in a profession like comedy or writing in general. I can't imagine wanting to get in to the profession to simply do something that has been done many times over. I think that must be disheartening for a writer.

Certainly as a viewer, and I would hope and expect as a writer, being funny is the primary concern. If it's original too, then that's a nice bonus.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ March 3 2009, 8:53 PM GMT

I'm not saying that everything you write should be totally new and never seen before, that is becoming increasingly impossible these days. But if you are taking a well known forumla it's best to add your own unique twist to it.

Well obviously. But it's always a mistake to assume that just because something's been done before, it should be avoided. How many family-related shows have been on our screens in the past? You'd think the subject would've been done to death (and perhaps it has), but still they keep getting commissioned, and still continue to pull huge audiences.

The mistake a lot of new writers make is to try to be too experimental and out-there with their ideas. What they don't know is what that actually does is turn commissioners off. (Believe me, I know this from experience) Unless you're a writer-performer who has demonstrated in the flesh that your bizarre new black and white musical comedy with Rumanian lyrics actually works and is funny, it won't get past the first page. Do you think The Boosh would've been commissioned if it hadn't been a successful live stage show first? Not a chance.

So if anything, as new writers we have to toe the line and stick to safe-ish ideas until such time as we're extraordinarily successful and can go out and write that hilarious comedy set on Venus starring a many-penised alien milkman called Horatio.

Ooo, I turned meself on then. Huh?

I watched and enjoyed more than I expected. Expectations weren't high, mind, but it certainly hit enough buttons for me to watch again. Highlight for me was the radio ads couple with Jenny Eclair.

Some of the sketches did seem a bit old-hat though - not that they weren't at all funny, but they were readily identifiable as "types" from elsewhere (e.g. Harry and Paul have done numerous footballer interview sketches over the years so automatically I thought Harry and Paul when that came on, and by comparison this one wasn't nearly as good; similarly the camp innuendo in Nazi costume instantly said 'Allo 'Allo! and again it wasn't as good as the earlier version to my mind).

Quote: Badge @ March 4 2009, 12:31 AM GMT

I watched and enjoyed more than I expected. Expectations weren't high, mind, but it certainly hit enough buttons for me to watch again. Highlight for me was the radio ads couple with Jenny Eclair.

Some of the sketches did seem a bit old-hat though - not that they weren't at all funny, but they were readily identifiable as "types" from elsewhere (e.g. Harry and Paul have done numerous footballer interview sketches over the years so automatically I thought Harry and Paul when that came on, and by comparison this one wasn't nearly as good; similarly the camp innuendo in Nazi costume instantly said 'Allo 'Allo! and again it wasn't as good as the earlier version to my mind).

Is it really necessary to italicise my post? (For later readers my earlier effort was censored for not putting "Allo Allo" in italics. Which I suppose might happen again]