Nerd/Boffin Technical corner. Page 80

While most of my CDs rip OK with my Windows media player, some of them (especially older ones) just don't want to know. Why might this be?

EDIT: actually, they do seem to rip, but extremely slowly and so quietly it sounds like nothing is happening.

I've had that when ripping to iTunes

Some CDs are just manufactured differently than others

It once took my about an hour to rip a Dexys Midnight Runners cd

kinnoraaa

Older CDs tend to have more information in them, also try turning off error correction in Windows media player that can slow it down. Go to tools - options- devices, find your CD drive and uncheck error correction, maybe that might do it.

Can anybody tell me why my YouTube videos are choppy/stuttering?

I've tried both Firefox and Chrome. I've tried disabling and enabling all sorts of plugins.

I'm wondering if my old laptop isn't powerful enough? I can't believe it isn't but I'm not sure what else it could be??

Processor: 1.73GHz
376 MHz
1.99GB of RAM
Windows XP

If that means anything??

It should be OK, I expect your broadband is slow or overloaded by your neighbours.

But everything else runs fine. It stutters when I scroll the window down whilst the video is playing too, so I suspect it's an internal problem.

Quote: Lee @ August 14 2013, 9:51 AM BST

But everything else runs fine. It stutters when I scroll the window down whilst the video is playing too, so I suspect it's an internal problem.

The best way to determine if it your broadband provider or your laptop is to test it with another device, computer/laptop/iPad.

If it is still slow it is more than likely your broadband connection, if it is fine then it is your laptop. Then check other video streaming sites to see if it is the same. Sometimes AVG link scanner can cause issues with scrolling pages, especially in facebook (though that may have been fixed now) turn off any browser add ons if you have them, also try temporarily disabling your antivirus.

You can always test your Broadband speed here http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

It's considered the best and used by providers

Quote: Lee @ August 14 2013, 9:51 AM BST

I had this exact problem for ages too. I had to uninstall all the adobe add-ons from my Firefox browser and then reinstall the latest ones.

I've just installed Windows 7, much better. Thanks all.

Anyone know about BT home hubs?

I've had mine for years but lately the TWATTING thing keeps dropping connection intermittently

Anyhoo

You can buy the same model on amazon for 20 quid

Is it straight forward in that I could just replace my old one with a new one?

Just plug it in and I'm online ?

Or would it involve some boffin type jiggery and indeed - pokery?

*is scared*

I'm not with BT anymore but mine had the same problem and that turned out after many visits to be the outside wiring.

Quote: lofthouse @ August 24 2013, 7:03 PM BST

Anyone know about BT home hubs?

I've had mine for years but lately the TWATTING thing keeps dropping connection intermittently

Anyhoo

You can buy the same model on amazon for 20 quid

Is it straight forward in that I could just replace my old one with a new one?

Just plug it in and I'm online ?

Or would it involve some boffin type jiggery and indeed - pokery?

*is scared*

If you're with BT they should upgrade you - especially if you tell them it's on the fritz.

Yeah it's simple, just speak to Sanjeev for an hour as he tries to get you to "turn it on and off again" and insists you're in the wrong.

Quote: Lee @ August 24 2013, 7:53 PM BST

Yeah it's simple, just speak to Sanjeev for an hour as he tries to get you to "turn it on and off again" and insists you're in the wrong.

While the 10.27 Mumbai to Delhi express goes past making most of the conversation inaudible.