Nerd/Boffin Technical corner. Page 79

Quote: lofthouse @ May 29 2013, 7:43 PM BST

I'm guessing you could try using one of the ip address ... Proxy...changer ...thingies

Good idea, I'll try that next time. I was back there today, and it still wouldn't give me any free time.

I have one of those mini wireless keyboards that connects with a radio 2.4GHz or something (I don't really understand it) but I've lost (well my brother lost) the little USB adapter that goes into the computer. I also have a wireless mouse with a similar looking USB adapter thingy - my question is this... can I get my keyboard to "talk" to my mouses adapter or not?

Unlikely, unless they are BLUETOOTH devices.

There is no common standard otherwise.

If the keyboard is bluetooth you can get a "Bluetooth USB adaptor" on Amazon.

It's not bluetooth I don't think? It's this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Keyboard-Rii-Touchpad-Universale/dp/B00BOIBH68/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1371742493&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=RII+ProMini+2.4GHz+usb

Can I get the internet on my jacket if it's houndstooth?

>_<

I haven't used Bluetooth in years. I think I only ever used it to transfer photos between phones. Don't think I've even used it in that capacity for a few years. What is Bluetooth used for mostly these days? Isn't everything wireless? And what's the difference?

Bluetooth is a particular short-range wireless transfer protocol.
When it came out it was hailed as the answer to all simple transfers such as mice & keyboards, it got used in mobile phones for photo and contacts transfer etc, but it never actually achieved full popularity for computer mice & keyboards originally; the manufacturers of such devices seemed to prefer to use their own dongles with their own proprietary protocols.

Bluetooth mice can be obtained still, but they seem to be relatively expensive.

However there is a resurgence now of bluetooth keyboards for the Apple iPad and this is carrying over onto their use on PCs as well.

Bluetooth is also popular for a mobile phone to communicate with a hands-free speaker+microphone system for answering & making mobile phone calls in a car.

Quote: Lee @ June 20 2013, 7:35 PM BST

It's not bluetooth I don't think? It's this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Keyboard-Rii-Touchpad-Universale/dp/B00BOIBH68/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1371742493&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=RII+ProMini+2.4GHz+usb

There seems to be a bluetooth version that also looks like that keyboard.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Keyboard-Android-Windows-Touchpad/dp/B005C71L5Y/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1371823971&sr=8-16&keywords=bluetooth+keyboard

Just a tip for anyone for the future.

I have a HP 2820 colour laser printer. A very nice printer and it has served me well.
But yesterday it stopped working. It said the photo cartridge needed replacing. Geez, over £200 to buy a new one.

Then I read that a 'chip' counts the number of pages you print and when the count is up - no more prints until you change it.

Then there was another site selling replacement chips for £5 with the count reset to 0
It said he had replaced the chip 4 times on his photo cartridge (or whatever it is called - not toner) and it was still working great.

It came today, a quick flip out of the old and a push in of the new and it's back to life printing perfectly well.

Ah this is the thread I need. I wonder if anyone can help please, I was sent a PDF file, when I open it on Word it just comes out as gobbledegook computer language. I've tried the different settings in the box thing and nothing changes. All I want to do is read it so can anyone help please? Can I read it without PDF software, all I've got is Word. Ta.

http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

You can try to open it in Chrome / Firefox / I.E / Whatever you have?

Cheers, I got to read it, not sure how. G Chrome I think. I'll save it and change back to Google.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ July 23 2013, 9:27 PM BST

Ah this is the thread I need. I wonder if anyone can help please, I was sent a PDF file, when I open it on Word it just comes out as gobbledegook computer language. I've tried the different settings in the box thing and nothing changes. All I want to do is read it so can anyone help please? Can I read it without PDF software, all I've got is Word. Ta.

You will often encounter PDF files, so it is best if you install Adobe Reader from Lee's link. It is free.

Yes that's what it was, Adobe 11. My old one must've been no good. Very handy, ta.