Nerd/Boffin Technical corner. Page 78

Yeah, but they probably won't know if they're selling a 0.5a lead or a 1a lead. They'll just say "Yes this will do the trick, sir". I may just go to Carphone Warehouse. I'll know what I'm getting then.

Quote: Lee @ May 19 2013, 6:44 PM BST

PC World/Currys are the scummiest rip off merchants this side of ever. I really really hate them. They are not by far electrical equipment experts, they are finance people who handle electrical equipment. Please never-ever use these, except for the purpose of browsing and then buying it cheaper elsewhere.

Wot 'e sed.

The fun used to be going into Dixons and asking a techie type question and watching them flounder !

I had a Saturday job in Currys and they didn't give us any technical training whatsoever.

Quote: Ben @ May 19 2013, 4:55 PM BST

This is more an electrical question, but hopefully I can get an answer.

So, the insulation around the end of the USB cable on my phone charger has become split. The charger still charges my phone up, but much slower than it used to. I know that it's down to the cable as I tried someone elses cable in my charger and it charged up a lot quicker. Now, if I cover the split part of the cable in electrical tape, will this solve my issue?

I did buy a new USB cable from PCWorld, but it doesn't charge as quickly as my damaged cable used to. I believe this is because it only charges at 0.5a as opposed to 1a which my damaged cable charged at. I can't actually find anywhere online which specifies the cable as being 1a apart from some dodgy looking eBay sellers.

I think you are talking about the whole plug-in charger unit, not just the cable (the wire).

It doesn't make much sense that a split in the insulation, would cause any change in the charging rate unless bare wires are actually shorting or maybe the wire has frayed so that,say, only one strand of copper wire out of many is still intact. If the latter it will need a new plug soldered on the end, which is very difficult to do with these tiny plugs.

Both cases, a short circuit or a frayed wire are a recipe for causing a fire.

I would be inclined to take it to one of the small high street shops that do jobs like fitting new screens on mobile phones and ask them if they can fit a new plug or chop your wire and the wire of a simple cable or a broken charger unit and join the wires in the middle. That's easier to do than solder in a new tiny plug.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Having read more of the messages I see you are talking about the wire after all. What are you plugging the power end into?

There's no real difference between a 0.5a cable and a 1 amp cable, except possibly the thickness of the wires, but I think they would have to be exceptionally fine wire to make a noticeable difference.

It's much more likely that the 'slow' wire is simply not connecting securely to the phone or to whatever is providing the power at the other end.

The local hospital gives you 10 minutes of wi-fi free, after which you have to pay (quite a bit). How does it know to block your access, is it done with a cookie? Is there a way around it? It's bad enough having to wait almost 4 hours in A &E (over 4 hours and they get fined) without having to pay for wi fi.

Quote: Nogget @ May 28 2013, 8:19 AM BST

The local hospital gives you 10 minutes of wi-fi free, after which you have to pay (quite a bit). How does it know to block your access, is it done with a cookie? Is there a way around it? It's bad enough having to wait almost 4 hours in A &E (over 4 hours and they get fined) without having to pay for wi fi.

Not a technical reply to your question as such, but I as nearly always have my netbook with me, I use a dongle.

Re the parking charges; if you do have to stay longer than anticipated, at most hospitals I go you can get a form from the clinic you attended confirming the time you left. Then you can use it to appeal a fine, or show to the car park attendant before he has a chance to issue it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3738652.stm

I've always suspected some hospitals have used them.

Quote: Loopey @ May 28 2013, 2:29 PM BST

Re the parking charges; if you do have to stay longer than anticipated, at most hospitals I go you can get a form from the clinic you attended confirming the time you left. Then you can use it to appeal a fine, or show to the car park attendant before he has a chance to issue it.

Interesting tip, thanks.

Quote: Loopey @ May 28 2013, 2:29 PM BST

Not a technical reply to your question as such, but I as nearly always have my netbook with me, I use a dongle.

There was no 3G reception, unfortunately.

Dongles?

Now I've still got one as well as a mifi transmitter.

Is the dongle better value? As I'm sure I read somewhere mifi uses up more data.

Quote: sootyj @ May 28 2013, 2:41 PM BST

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3738652.stm

I've always suspected some hospitals have used them.

That's worrying. I have to have my phone pretty much all the time. I usually have it on silent but I have been told that can interfere with equipment in hospitals - no idea if that is true.

NHS guidance is it can but to be honest I think it's more of an urban myth.
I mean hospitals have all sorts of radios, pagers etc so it would be insane to have equipment that could be affected by them.
I think the honest answer is most people tend to be assholes with mobile phones and quite selfish.
So if I was lying in pain in hospital the last thing I'd want is having to listen to half a dozen inane mobile phone conversations.
It's bad enough on the bus.

Quote: sootyj @ May 28 2013, 2:48 PM BST

Dongles?

Now I've still got one as well as a mifi transmitter.

Is the dongle better value? As I'm sure I read somewhere mifi uses up more data.

I don't know, I've never thought of looking into alternatives. I pay about £8.00 a month for mine I think. I use it a lot.

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240080371/Mobile-phones-do-not-interfere-with-medical-equipment

Quote: Nogget @ May 28 2013, 8:19 AM BST

I'm guessing you could try using one of the ip address ... Proxy...changer ...thingies

Do you have an iPhone?

You can change your ip address on iPhone

So when your 10mins is up you could then change your ip address and the hospitals wifi will think your phone is a completely different phone

Or sumfin

I could be talking total arse gravy here
Eh?

Quote: Ben @ May 19 2013, 4:55 PM BST

This is more an electrical question, but hopefully I can get an answer.

So, the insulation around the end of the USB cable on my phone charger has become split. The charger still charges my phone up, but much slower than it used to. I know that it's down to the cable as I tried someone elses cable in my charger and it charged up a lot quicker. Now, if I cover the split part of the cable in electrical tape, will this solve my issue?

I did buy a new USB cable from PCWorld, but it doesn't charge as quickly as my damaged cable used to. I believe this is because it only charges at 0.5a as opposed to 1a which my damaged cable charged at. I can't actually find anywhere online which specifies the cable as being 1a apart from some dodgy looking eBay sellers.

I finally got this issue sorted today. From what I read online, my android is capable of USB charging (0.5a) and AC 'fast charging' (1.0a). The fast charging is possible when the data pins of the USB cable are shorted. The lead I got from PCWorld obviously didn't have this and was the reason why it was charging so slow.